Kamara Statement

JamieD

26 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

These cunts are like tarriers uncanny as fuck, all over video comments on YouTube denying anything racist was said calling us Butchers taking about slavery and GB colonial past, posting links to our Uefa charges and basically just denying any wrong doing and playing the victim. Apparently it’s only a handful of ‘Hooligans’ who are racist and not real supporters. All backed up by tarriers. Or cunts (slavia fans) with names like James Butler. Sounds legit 😆

Too stupid to know that Britain basically ended slavery 😂

Hope nobody mentioned the death camps they used to have 😂

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this in the sun online for Kamaras Lawyer regarding what their manager came out with.

""This statement by Slavia Prague’s manager smacks of desperation and it might have helped their cause had one of Slavia Prague’s players not been caught on an audio-recording confirming that Kudela had called Glen a ‘monkey’."

I haven't seen any mention of this recording before, and always assumed the refs mic wouldn't of picked up anything, is this recording from after the game somewhere?

22 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Just saw this in the sun online for Kamaras Lawyer regarding what their manager came out with.

""This statement by Slavia Prague’s manager smacks of desperation and it might have helped their cause had one of Slavia Prague’s players not been caught on an audio-recording confirming that Kudela had called Glen a ‘monkey’."

I haven't seen any mention of this recording before, and always assumed the refs mic wouldn't of picked up anything, is this recording from after the game somewhere?

I don’t have a link mate but the goalkeeper in an interview says they were kept late “because kudela called someone a monkey”.

after the interview he basically backtracks saying that he meant that was the accusation 

1 hour ago, BlueEdu said:

I don’t have a link mate but the goalkeeper in an interview says they were kept late “because kudela called someone a monkey”.

after the interview he basically backtracks saying that he meant that was the accusation 

Oft, I thought it was something new as it was in new article today.

https://news.stv.tv/west-central/police-probe-racist-abuse-during-Rangers-v-slavia-prague

"Police are investigating claims of racist abuse during the Rangers v Slavia Prague Europa League game.

The force confirmed on Tuesday that they had received a report regarding last week’s last-16 match, which Slavia won 2-0.

Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara said he was subjected to “vile” racist abuse by Slavia Prague midfielder Ondrej Kudela during the game, which the Czech club deny.

Officers are also investigating Slavia’s allegations that Kudela was assaulted at Ibrox.

..."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/23/furore-around-glen-kamara-shows-how-racists-can-keep-getting-away-with-abuse?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Furore around Glen Kamara shows how racists can keep getting away with abuse

Jonathan Liew31 Jan 2021

To get their personal violations recognised, victims of racism have to navigate an obstacle course of suspicion and bad faith 

You’re a footballer who has been racially abused by an opponent in the course of doing your job. So let’s talk tactics, scenarios, next steps. Yes, I know it happened only a few seconds ago. You’re angry, upset, confused. Above all there’s a football match still to be won, and you don’t want to lose your focus. But really, you need to get your head in the game. Because even in these raw early moments, one false move, one wrong choice, and your prospects of justice are sunk.

Obviously you’ll want to lodge a formal complaint as soon as possible. But of course the referee didn’t hear anything, and the opponent has an angelic “Who, me?” expression on his face. Here’s your first task: you need to remember the exact words that were used. Was it “fucking monkey”, “black monkey” or just “monkey”? Yes, it’s gruesome, but it’s important. Get it wrong, admit the merest uncertainty, alter your story one iota, and in a few months’ time a smooth-talking lawyer will be flaying you to ribbons in front of an FA disciplinary panel.

Next: make sure you flag the incident up at the time and gather witnesses, or you’ll be accused of making it up afterwards. And remember, you need to look just the right amount of angry: too angry and people will assume you’re motivated by rage, not angry enough and people will assume you’re a scheming, mendacious troublemaker.

Once this gets out, you’ll need as thick a skin as you can muster. You’ll be forced to relive those few traumatic seconds again and again, through ever more jaundiced filters. Your reputation and your motives will be dragged through the mud. You will be abused again, this time in great anonymous torrents. And for all the support and encouragement you will also receive, the whole affair will leave an unpleasant aftertaste: a problem everyone wishes would simply go away.

By the time of the hearing, the incident will begin to feel like a surreal abstraction: you, who were there, will have your recollections challenged by others who weren’t. The player who abused you will wheel out a succession of character witnesses to defend their honour. If he had said the thing, they will insist, that would make him a racist. But he isn’t a racist, and so he can’t have said it. Ultimately, you will be told, it’s your word against his, and so nothing more can be done.

The reason for sketching this process out in such gristly, unpleasant detail is that there remains a significant body of opinion that is convinced people put themselves through all this for a laugh.

This cropped up again recently, after the Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara accused Slavia Prague’s Ondrej Kudela of racially abusing him during their Europa League game on Thursday. Kudela has denied the accusation and Uefa will hear the case in due course. And yet already Kamara’s treatment is a reminder of the obstacle course that awaits all victims of racist abuse: gaslighting, obfuscation, counter-narrative, a system that seems to be rigged from top to bottom against the accuser in favour of the accused.

I discovered this on a much smaller scale only a few years ago. Towards the end of the last Ashes tour, an English journalist racially abused me in the press box of the Sydney Cricket Ground. Or, more specifically, in a corridor near the press box: a detail I now realise was hardly accidental. As the older journalist flatly denied making the remark he had made about eight seconds earlier, there was a devilish glint in his eye: the stomach-turning realisation that I would never be able to prove otherwise.

And in the end, he got away with it. Complaints were lodged. Grave, stony-faced summits were held. My version of events was scrutinised with a forensic laser focus. Did I have a grudge? Did I provoke him? Could I have heard something else? All he had to do, meanwhile, was deny everything. And – legally speaking – that was that. Game over.

Multiply this by hundreds, thousands, and you realise why so many acts of personal violation – racism, harassment, sexual abuse – go unpunished. Kamara has received plenty of support, but also a good deal of scepticism and outright hostility from rival fans. Like many before him, he has been accused of simply inventing the whole episode. And remember, this was an on-field incident captured live on television. Imagine the overwhelming burden of proof required to substantiate a similar accusation in amateur football. In a dressing room. In a boardroom.

We know racist abuse is a common, widespread problem. Conversely, there is no body of evidence to suggest that false or malicious accusations of racism exist on remotely the same scale. And yet time and again we are nonsensically asked to give these two scenarios equal weight: often under the cloak of well-meaning phrases like “due process” and “innocent until proven guilty”. Yet the presumption of innocence is not a neutral stance in these cases. It presumes, by extension, that the accuser must be lying or mistaken unless proved otherwise. And in so doing, it provides generous cover to any abuser shrewd enough to cover their tracks.

This is the landscape that virtually all victims of racism must navigate: suspicion, bad faith, institutional hostility. Meanwhile, football’s authorities wonder aloud why hatred festers in the game and what can be done about it. They can begin, above all, by assuming that those who stick out their neck to denounce racism are telling the truth. And not only that, but by believing them: not blindly or dogmatically, but instinctively, and with empathy.

Jonathan Liew was last week awarded the John Bromley trophy for sports writer of the year at the Sports Journalism Awards

© 2021 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. (modern)

59 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Excellent! The more support the better.

I’m surprised that the racist prick hasn’t come out and said something like “I was trying to get him sent off” (which is no excuse) whilst still denying any racism. That was actually my first reaction as it unfolded - he was trying to goad Glenn. Of course we didn’t know what he said until hours later.

That article in The Guardian was enlightening - I think unless Zungu AND other players come forward this guy will get away with it like so many others.

19 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

This is where the other Slavia players who clearly heard the comment needs to break rank and step up.

their fans will kill them if they do. they would need to leave first but obv cant till the summer

34 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Excellent! The more support the better.

I’m surprised that the racist prick hasn’t come out and said something like “I was trying to get him sent off” (which is no excuse) whilst still denying any racism. That was actually my first reaction as it unfolded - he was trying to goad Glenn. Of course we didn’t know what he said until hours later.

That article in The Guardian was enlightening - I think unless Zungu AND other players come forward this guy will get away with it like so many others.

GK has already revealed in his statement that Zungu heard what was said, in Scottish law this, if considered reliable, meets the corroboration threshold as far as reporting the matter to the PF. It will then be up to the courts to decide on hearing the evidence laid before it. When looking at the whole incident as it unfolded, that lad will have to have some legal team to avoid prosecution imo...

I agree with the other players coming forward if they heard it, the reaction of his own teammates close bye give the impression that they very well may have done however that may be difficult for them due to present circumstances (still no excuse regardless)...

1 hour ago, Robmc1 said:

GK has already revealed in his statement that Zungu heard what was said, in Scottish law this, if considered reliable, meets the corroboration threshold as far as reporting the matter to the PF. It will then be up to the courts to decide on hearing the evidence laid before it. When looking at the whole incident as it unfolded, that lad will have to have some legal team to avoid prosecution imo...

I agree with the other players coming forward if they heard it, the reaction of his own teammates close bye give the impression that they very well may have done however that may be difficult for them due to present circumstances (still no excuse regardless)...

Also, if the player(s) on Slavia who heard this are called as witnesses, it is unlikely that they would lie under oath and risk being found out and sentenced by the court themselves..

20 hours ago, left winger said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/23/furore-around-glen-kamara-shows-how-racists-can-keep-getting-away-with-abuse?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Furore around Glen Kamara shows how racists can keep getting away with abuse

Jonathan Liew31 Jan 2021

To get their personal violations recognised, victims of racism have to navigate an obstacle course of suspicion and bad faith 

You’re a footballer who has been racially abused by an opponent in the course of doing your job. So let’s talk tactics, scenarios, next steps. Yes, I know it happened only a few seconds ago. You’re angry, upset, confused. Above all there’s a football match still to be won, and you don’t want to lose your focus. But really, you need to get your head in the game. Because even in these raw early moments, one false move, one wrong choice, and your prospects of justice are sunk.

Obviously you’ll want to lodge a formal complaint as soon as possible. But of course the referee didn’t hear anything, and the opponent has an angelic “Who, me?” expression on his face. Here’s your first task: you need to remember the exact words that were used. Was it “fucking monkey”, “black monkey” or just “monkey”? Yes, it’s gruesome, but it’s important. Get it wrong, admit the merest uncertainty, alter your story one iota, and in a few months’ time a smooth-talking lawyer will be flaying you to ribbons in front of an FA disciplinary panel.

Next: make sure you flag the incident up at the time and gather witnesses, or you’ll be accused of making it up afterwards. And remember, you need to look just the right amount of angry: too angry and people will assume you’re motivated by rage, not angry enough and people will assume you’re a scheming, mendacious troublemaker.

Once this gets out, you’ll need as thick a skin as you can muster. You’ll be forced to relive those few traumatic seconds again and again, through ever more jaundiced filters. Your reputation and your motives will be dragged through the mud. You will be abused again, this time in great anonymous torrents. And for all the support and encouragement you will also receive, the whole affair will leave an unpleasant aftertaste: a problem everyone wishes would simply go away.

By the time of the hearing, the incident will begin to feel like a surreal abstraction: you, who were there, will have your recollections challenged by others who weren’t. The player who abused you will wheel out a succession of character witnesses to defend their honour. If he had said the thing, they will insist, that would make him a racist. But he isn’t a racist, and so he can’t have said it. Ultimately, you will be told, it’s your word against his, and so nothing more can be done.

The reason for sketching this process out in such gristly, unpleasant detail is that there remains a significant body of opinion that is convinced people put themselves through all this for a laugh.

This cropped up again recently, after the Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara accused Slavia Prague’s Ondrej Kudela of racially abusing him during their Europa League game on Thursday. Kudela has denied the accusation and Uefa will hear the case in due course. And yet already Kamara’s treatment is a reminder of the obstacle course that awaits all victims of racist abuse: gaslighting, obfuscation, counter-narrative, a system that seems to be rigged from top to bottom against the accuser in favour of the accused.

I discovered this on a much smaller scale only a few years ago. Towards the end of the last Ashes tour, an English journalist racially abused me in the press box of the Sydney Cricket Ground. Or, more specifically, in a corridor near the press box: a detail I now realise was hardly accidental. As the older journalist flatly denied making the remark he had made about eight seconds earlier, there was a devilish glint in his eye: the stomach-turning realisation that I would never be able to prove otherwise.

And in the end, he got away with it. Complaints were lodged. Grave, stony-faced summits were held. My version of events was scrutinised with a forensic laser focus. Did I have a grudge? Did I provoke him? Could I have heard something else? All he had to do, meanwhile, was deny everything. And – legally speaking – that was that. Game over.

Multiply this by hundreds, thousands, and you realise why so many acts of personal violation – racism, harassment, sexual abuse – go unpunished. Kamara has received plenty of support, but also a good deal of scepticism and outright hostility from rival fans. Like many before him, he has been accused of simply inventing the whole episode. And remember, this was an on-field incident captured live on television. Imagine the overwhelming burden of proof required to substantiate a similar accusation in amateur football. In a dressing room. In a boardroom.

We know racist abuse is a common, widespread problem. Conversely, there is no body of evidence to suggest that false or malicious accusations of racism exist on remotely the same scale. And yet time and again we are nonsensically asked to give these two scenarios equal weight: often under the cloak of well-meaning phrases like “due process” and “innocent until proven guilty”. Yet the presumption of innocence is not a neutral stance in these cases. It presumes, by extension, that the accuser must be lying or mistaken unless proved otherwise. And in so doing, it provides generous cover to any abuser shrewd enough to cover their tracks.

This is the landscape that virtually all victims of racism must navigate: suspicion, bad faith, institutional hostility. Meanwhile, football’s authorities wonder aloud why hatred festers in the game and what can be done about it. They can begin, above all, by assuming that those who stick out their neck to denounce racism are telling the truth. And not only that, but by believing them: not blindly or dogmatically, but instinctively, and with empathy.

Jonathan Liew was last week awarded the John Bromley trophy for sports writer of the year at the Sports Journalism Awards

© 2021 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. (modern)

Not often the Guardian gets it right.

Archived