Centre Midfield

Has to be our number one priority this Summer IMO.

Kamara is a class act, as is Jack, but his fitness is too unreliable.

Davis and Arfield will be a year older and they are both showing signs of slowing up a bit form wise after playing a lot of football at a high intensity this season. 

Aribo is non existent when he plays in there.

Zungu is a write off 

If we have any money to spend this Summer, it needs to be spent on bringing in a player in that position with a bit of quality about them.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact even more is on the line next season at both the start and the end european football wise, I've no doubt we'll be strengthening. 

Can't afford (in any/every sense) to let them have free entry to the champs league next summer.

Minimum two ready-to-go midfielders needed, not squad players.

Davis, Arfield wrong side of thirty, Jack keeps missing batches of games and I will not be surprised to see Kamara go, despite the overwhelming love and support.

Disappointed that the only midfield youngster who seems to be progressing (Dickson) can’t even get on to the bench,

Dunno, tbh a lot of the tarriers best stuff today came down the flanks, hard to criticise the midfield when they are covering a lot of ground to help out wide when our fullbacks are doubled up

Think today we missed someone properly linking up with the striker, arfield pre injury was absolutely killing it in that role, either the linking up or the late runs from midfield that gave him space in and around the box, again it seems we are asking arfield to do a job he isnt used to or comfortable with the now when he's to sit and cover out wide 

Aribo for me isnt a big game player, the massove debate about him, kent and hagi about a month ago is still here somewhere, hagi was poor today but he is something different in his way of playing, always trying something different, kent has improved his form big time and shows what he can offer, aribo however is just not happening in big games, showing up when we are 3 up at home to ross county isnt good enough for us, 

Tarrier midfield isnt as good as we make them look, id like to see kent and Wright start next OF game with instructions to run at players all the time, with arfield supporting them and the striker, kamara and davis are capable of handling the defensive side if jacks not fit

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

To be honest I’d love to see CM be the position we go out into the market and make a real statement.

Will pay for itself if it gets us through the qualifiers.

Personally would love that to be Gilmour (even if only on a season long loan) plus one other. I know there's next to no chance of that though.

Definitely one of our weakest areas today. Really need a ball carrier, someone who can take the ball 20/30 yards and break lines. I haven't seen any of that today. Aribo was doing it earlier in the season but seems to be in two minds in what to do everything he has the ball at his feet.

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

To be honest I’d love to see CM be the position we go out into the market and make a real statement.

Will pay for itself if it gets us through the qualifiers.

Am I right in thinking next season’s SPL champion will automatically qualify for the 22/23 group stages of the CL? If so, it would be mad not to invest from our current point of strength, and a quality CM is the investment we need.

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Dunno, tbh a lot of the tarriers best stuff today came down the flanks, hard to criticise the midfield when they are covering a lot of ground to help out wide when our fullbacks are doubled up

Think today we missed someone properly linking up with the striker, arfield pre injury was absolutely killing it in that role, either the linking up or the late runs from midfield that gave him space in and around the box, again it seems we are asking arfield to do a job he isnt used to or comfortable with the now when he's to sit and cover out wide 

Aribo for me isnt a big game player, the massove debate about him, kent and hagi about a month ago is still here somewhere, hagi was poor today but he is something different in his way of playing, always trying something different, kent has improved his form big time and shows what he can offer, aribo however is just not happening in big games, showing up when we are 3 up at home to ross county isnt good enough for us, 

Tarrier midfield isnt as good as we make them look, id like to see kent and Wright start next OF game with instructions to run at players all the time, with arfield supporting them and the striker, kamara and davis are capable of handling the defensive side if jacks not fit

Great post

Just now, steven33jackie said:

Definitely one of our weakest areas today. Really need a ball carrier, someone who can take the ball 20/30 yards and break lines. I haven't seen any of that today. Aribo was doing it earlier in the season but seems to be in two minds in what to do everything he has the ball at his feet.

Our system isnt based on a ball carrier though, its based on us playing out, using the 3 sitting mids to play it and find space, then work it up to either our number tens or out wide to the flying fullbacks

To accomodate a midfielder who'll carry it for 30 yards (the way mcgregor does for them) we'd need to change our system, and that's not worth the bother

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

If you were to get decent offers for Aribo and to a lesser  extent Hagi then accept them and plough every penny into the midfield.

A CDM, Goal scoring midfielder and a proper play maker and we’ll be some team.

We have a goalscoring mid, he's just either not playing or playing in the sitting 3 the now, arfield still has a great engine, and knows what he is doing up the park (his goal at home to standard is what we are screaming out for) 

To be honest I think it’s been our weakest position for a few years now. Definitely need at last 2 midfielders with the quality to go straight into the team. Davis and Arfield too old to be regulars every game if we want the intensity we had pre Christmas, Zungu will be going and Jack as good as he is is too injury prone. Only CM we have that can be relied upon for next year is Kamara, really hope we keep him.

Archived