James Tavernier has found a home at Rangers and leaving would be ‘hard’

Raligt

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Don’t agree. If the likes of an Everton or West Ham come in for him he’s away aswell because he wants to play in the English premier league. 

At his age id imagine he would take the hit of missing out on the CL in hope that he keeps progressing and a bigger club comes in for him after he’s been in the premier league for a bit

I think you’re spot on.

Only thing is, it’s very hard to accept that our best players want to leave at some point. I guess everybody would want to keep the likes of Kamara, Tavernier, Morelos, Hagi, Kent, Goldson...

I wish other leagues could be less attractive, for the club to progress in Europe and keep winning in Scotland by keeping our assets.

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Probably needs sold in the near future.

Getting to an age were his transfer value is going to start decreasing and Patterson isn’t going to continue developing while sitting on the bench every week. 

That’s Tav, Barisic, Kamara and the buff many of the support think should be sold in the summer for profit , Dono who people think we’re replacing them with 

3 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

That’s Tav, Barisic, Kamara and the buff many of the support think should be sold in the summer for profit , Dono who people think we’re replacing them with 

You don’t sell them all in one go but that’s where we are as a club playing in Scotland.  We find players on the cheap, develop them and sell them for profit. Kent, Hagi, Roofe, Goldson and Helander could all be sold too 

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

How has Patterson proven that? 

I love Tav but this whole idea that we hold on to players until they retire just because the fan base loves them is ridiculous. 

Another season or two makes Tav near 32. He won’t be retiring at that age and we will make next to nothing either.

No chance Patterson sits around for that and Gerrard made it pretty clear Tav is undroppable when fit.

i would rather take a risk in keeping our players and trying to get into the champions league. even 1 year in that competition will earn us more than selling our players.

i dont think it is ridiculous to hold on to such an asset when he cost us next to nothing and has performed at a level which would probably use up our transfer funds or more to replace him.

We simply have to accept the financial reality of our league, and unfortunately where we were only a few seasons ago. We just cannot be in that situation ever again. We have assembled a squad that is very capable for a relatively small outlay compared to other leagues. 

Prize money in the EPL is £150million for first place from the TV deal. We get > £3million for winning 55 and the TV rights are minuscule, as we have one of the worst TV deals in Europe. Even the Europa league money is not massive, but is hugely important to us.  Our commercial arm is rapidly expanding again (at its peak it was the biggest on the UK) but it still gives us nowhere close to the finances of the EPL. That makes our performances all the more impressive. 

Unless a billionaire decides to put money into us we will sell players. That is the reality and what will happen. The plus side to that model is our scouting networks seem to have improved dramatically. Also with COVID there is less movement and I’d like to see younger players opt to move to us and play a season or two rather than go and sit in the reserves in the EPL. 

5 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

We simply have to accept the financial reality of our league, and unfortunately where we were only a few seasons ago. We just cannot be in that situation ever again. We have assembled a squad that is very capable for a relatively small outlay compared to other leagues. 

Prize money in the EPL is £150million for first place from the TV deal. We get > £3million for winning 55 and the TV rights are minuscule, as we have one of the worst TV deals in Europe. Even the Europa league money is not massive, but is hugely important to us.  Our commercial arm is rapidly expanding again (at its peak it was the biggest on the UK) but it still gives us nowhere close to the finances of the EPL. That makes our performances all the more impressive. 

Unless a billionaire decides to put money into us we will sell players. That is the reality and what will happen. The plus side to that model is our scouting networks seem to have improved dramatically. Also with COVID there is less movement and I’d like to see younger players opt to move to us and play a season or two rather than go and sit in the reserves in the EPL. 

Agreed - whether we like it or not we have to become a selling club if we want our club to be on a sound financial footing. Even with the Europa League runs over the last couple of seasons we're still hemorrhaging money (Covid clearly hasn't helped of course) - it's unsustainable. We've held on to our best players over the last couple of years in order to once again regain our place at the top of Scottish football (hats off to the board for backing the gaffer) - from here on in i'd imagine we'll sell one or two of our best assets every year simply to balance the books. 

Of course we don't want to lose our best players, but i'd rather that than losing our club.

There is no danger Alfie will be sold this summer if anything he will likely be given a new bumper deal keeping him at the club for at least the next two seasons.

Imo Morelos is only just on the cusp of what he will truly be like as a player, next season I think he will be golden for us, he's basically the striker this club has been chasing all these years from yer Jardel's to your Rozenthal's he's pick of the bunch and Must be kept.

I’m proud out our whole team for this season but a special mention has to go to tav, he’s been through a lot, had a lot of criticism, some due, some way ott but he’s come through it and led the team to the title of titles.

I’m not even sure us winning the league last year would have topped this year, the tarriers have took it so hard, so near but yet so far all for nothing! All for a record that’s been done that many times not it’s not even worth gloating about anymore

tav proved to everybody that he can finally be judged to be befitting of being a Rangers captain, put yourself in his shoes and you’d be proud as fuck for yourself, the boy must be fucking buzzing, the biggest disappointment is the fans not being there and him experiencing that, they all deserve that

15 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I’d be genuinely astonished if we manage to hold on to Morelos 

It has to be a business decision. On Morelos or any other player. 

The question is do we think we can sell Morelos and replace him with sufficient quality to give us the best opportunity to reach the group stages of the champions league. 

the answer to that question is complex. If we sell Morelos for 20m plus then maybe the answer is yes. If we sell for less than 20m maybe the answer is no. Just using 20m as an example. There could be another price point the club has in mind. 

The thread is about Tav, so at 29 years old and entering the last year of his contract do we believe we can achieve a fee for him that would be an adequate compensation for losing our Captain, our best right back and our main attacking threat. Do we think that any fee we could command would be able to be redeployed to ensure continuing success?

I don’t believe Patterson is ready for 60 games a season in this team and for that reason I don’t see any better solution than extending Tavs contract, going for the Champions League and blending Patterson into the team over the next 2-3 years so he is ready at 21-22 years of age to be our first choice RB. 

16 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

How has Patterson proven that? 

I love Tav but this whole idea that we hold on to players until they retire just because the fan base loves them is ridiculous. 

Another season or two makes Tav near 32. He won’t be retiring at that age and we will make next to nothing either.

No chance Patterson sits around for that and Gerrard made it pretty clear Tav is undroppable when fit.

I think it's far more likely that Barisic goes if he has a good Euros, I wouldn't really want to lose both of them in the same year. Of course we need to sell some guys on but we should always be looking to keep some of our best players regardless if we won't make anything later. It's not as simple as just putting Patterson in.

22 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Probably needs sold in the near future.

Getting to an age were his transfer value is going to start decreasing and Patterson isn’t going to continue developing while sitting on the bench every week. 

Some players should finish their careers at the clubs they love if they remain good enough.

IMO Tav  would do well to stick where he is, could have another 6 years or more with us on a good wedge.

There are a number of things which could not work out for him were he to chase the big money of the English Premiership and it's not guaranteed he could come back like Davis and Shagger.

Tav is one of the players I don't see leaving. He's just got his first trophy here. I think he's going to want more and a run at the champions league. 

Down south yes a lot better money but the reality is down there your not getting regular cracks at silverware or Europe unless you land one of the big clubs. 

On 22/03/2021 at 14:32, .Williamson. said:

You don’t sell them all in one go but that’s where we are as a club playing in Scotland.  We find players on the cheap, develop them and sell them for profit. Kent, Hagi, Roofe, Goldson and Helander could all be sold too 

RK: No chance he's away as long as Gerrard is here IMO. he's had the opportunity to go back to the EPL with leeds (who to be fair, are an excellent side under an excellent manager - may not win anything but play fantastic attacking football)

I think he holds a lot of respect for the gaffer and wouldn't be away.

KR: I don't think he will go either, this is probably the biggest club his career will take him. he is a fantastic striker with a poor injury record and again, I think he is happy here.

Goldson, Helander & Hagi I think would like to move on when the time is right though

On 25/03/2021 at 09:42, stevemac said:

RK: No chance he's away as long as Gerrard is here IMO. he's had the opportunity to go back to the EPL with leeds (who to be fair, are an excellent side under an excellent manager - may not win anything but play fantastic attacking football)

I think he holds a lot of respect for the gaffer and wouldn't be away.

KR: I don't think he will go either, this is probably the biggest club his career will take him. he is a fantastic striker with a poor injury record and again, I think he is happy here.

Goldson, Helander & Hagi I think would like to move on when the time is right though

I agree, I’m pretty sure Kent is living his dream playing for Steven Gerrard, legend of his academy club.

I can’t see him leaving, at least another season.

Archived