Sadly Missed

BLUEDIGNITY

It's weird cause I was 6 when he died so I should probably remember it cause he was one of my Dads favourite players and I'd been going to games with him since before I can even remember, but my earliest memory about Davie Cooper is my dad coming home with a poster for me similar to the pic Bluekev posted with the year of his birth and death on it and putting it on my wall

I was 30 years old, remember taking flowers to the stadium before I went into work, was greetin like a baby. Strange how only certain players passing gets you that way. Remember seeing him a few times in a Hamilton Italian restaurant, heading up from Quarry St towards Low Watters Rd. Really civil man. 

I remember that sad day well. I took my wife to the stadium to place flowers that evening.

My neighbour was a good friend of Davie Cooper wrote   -   Davie Cooper: Tribute to a Legend   and published it later that year.

I was too numb to cry when he passed. For days I just kept thinking"Why?". It just hit me so hard I couldn't really take it in properly. 

I've she'd a year every year since though. It's hard to explain to people how much a hero means to you, but essentially, all through my teens, I wanted to actually be Davie Cooper. I spent hours in our street with a ball trying to do the things he did. Tried to run the way he ran. As I say...hard to explain properly.

Thank you for not only being one of the greatest ever Rangers, Davie....but for giving me someone to look up to and give me something to aim for. I never even came close to being anything like you, but you inspired me to at least try. You were...ARE, my one and only real hero! 

I'll forever have that image of Super Ally holding you up after you scored that penalty against Celtic in the 86 cup final, thousands of bears in the background going mad! That's my ever lasting memory of you...... making us happy every time you played. Rest in peace Coop!

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b18559286cf82de30c29618d1a568feb.jpg

Sad to some extent that he was getting on a bit when Souness arrived rather than e.g. in his mid twenties.  Shone in a much stronger team and didn’t really benefit from strong teams when he was at his peak. 

1981 SC replay, he was unplayable that night. 

RIP genius. 

I remember his funeral, standing with my father outside the church which had speakers, most fans were in tears as were most players, Ally McCoist told a few story's of Coop which did have everyone laughing but still tears. The turnout for Coop was amazing as he deserved.

Archived