Does our greatest ever 11 change now?

graeme_4

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

They were world class in their time period, no question. The sport has just moved on though.

If you allowed that team to get up to speed with modern training and fitness, they would wipe the floor with them.

Saying Pele would be world class today is just silly though. He would be utter garbage in the modern game.

your saying a supremely gifted footballer would struggle in the modern day with all the sport science and advancements we have made since he was playing ?

he would probably be far better than he was. if it makes others better then why not pele.

let me guess maradonna would be shite too if he was playing now because the balls are different and his dribbling would be worse?

18 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

your saying a supremely gifted footballer would struggle in the modern day with all the sport science and advancements we have made since he was playing ?

he would probably be far better than he was. if it makes others better then why not pele.

let me guess maradonna would be shite too if he was playing now because the balls are different and his dribbling would be worse?

No thats not what im saying at all.

If they were brought up with the advancements of modern science, they would be better than they ever were and would obviously beat fucking Aberdeen.

We are talking about lifting them straight out of there era, with their training and dropping them into a modern game.

I have no doubt that players like Pele would be very, very very good players in the current era, but they might not be comparatively as good as they were. It all depends on how they could take to the modern training etc. Pele was a perfect fit for 70s football. But may just be a very good player if he played in this era if he did not excel in the physical elements. Alternatively he might find the training to be suitable and could be even better than Messi. There is a bit of an unknown around just how top level they would be.

4 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Re your middle sentence, previous generations would find it laughable that Terry Butcher is there as opposed to George Young. Excluding wartime fixtures, Young had 450 games in sixteen years at Ibrox, won fourteen major honours, 54 Scotland caps and was the first ever member of Scottish Football Hall Of Fame.

McPhail, McColl, Caldow, Morton might all have claims too but we only pick those we know. The idea that we had no outstanding players pre Baxter is obviously nonsense.

And he may be the greatest Ranger of all time but Greig was certainly not our greatest left back.

All a matter of opinion of course and it gets us through this bloody pointless international break, the only positive for me is giving Jack and Tav more time to recover.

While I agree with this statement it has to be remembered that JG was moved back into LB just because he was getting on a bit for the rigours of playing in the midfield where he made his name and it allowed him another few seasons playing for the Famous, I believe he gets into the greatest team not for his displays at LB but his overall contribution to The Rangers, it would be sacrilege to leave him out of any greatest Rangers team, for younger posters who may wonder why then does he make it into the greatest team then I would have to admit that we older guys are probably shoehorning him in because it would be impossible for them to comprehend without having watched him just how much John Greig done for us.

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

While I agree with this statement it has to be remembered that JG was moved back into LB just because he was getting on a bit for the rigours of playing in the midfield where he made his name and it allowed him another few seasons playing for the Famous, I believe he gets into the greatest team not for his displays at LB but his overall contribution to The Rangers, it would be sacrilege to leave him out of any greatest Rangers team, for younger posters who may wonder why then does he make it into the greatest team then I would have to admit that we older guys are probably shoehorning him in because it would be impossible for them to comprehend without having watched him just how much John Greig done for us.

BTW he was also a superb LB.

Folk can talk about all the advancement in athletics and sports sciences until the cows come home

The fact is players like Baxter, Gazza, Cooper, Laudrup etc may have not been athletic or physically fit as modern players, but what they did have in undeniable natural skill and ability and talent that no amount of sports science and athletic knowledge can produce artificially, these players had skills that most players even today couldn't dream of. 

They might not be able to keep up with the best of the best today, players like Messi and Ronaldo, but they are certainly a cut above most modern players and they would still be superstars today.

Also standards in Scottish football has declined in the last 20 years rather than progressed, to think that the 9iar team would struggle against today's Aberdeen is baffling.

There are more highly skilled superstars these days because of advancements, but that doesn't produce players like Gazza and Laudrup imo, its just sharpens their abilities. So players like Gazza would benefit from that if they played today and would have probably been even better. But they are still standout players even by modern standards.

6 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

If Durrant hadn't suffered that injury I seriously believe he would eventually  have been my favourite ever Rangers player, and I seen Baxter play, that's how highly I rated Durrant.

I didn't see Durrant until the early 90s after his return, but from the footage from before the injury he's another one that completely disproves the pish @mitre_mouldmaster has been coming out with.

With that speed and ball control there's no question you could drop a peak Durrant into our current team and he'd instantly be the best player.

4 hours ago, Willis said:

Folk can talk about all the advancement in athletics and sports sciences until the cows come home

The fact is players like Baxter, Gazza, Cooper, Laudrup etc may have not been athletic or physically fit as modern players, but what they did have in undeniable natural skill and ability and talent that no amount of sports science and athletic knowledge can produce artificially, these players had skills that most players even today couldn't dream of. 

They might not be able to keep up with the best of the best today, players like Messi and Ronaldo, but they are certainly a cut above most modern players and they would still be superstars today.

Also standards in Scottish football has declined in the last 20 years rather than progressed, to think that the 9iar team would struggle against today's Aberdeen is baffling.

There are more highly skilled superstars these days because of advancements, but that doesn't produce players like Gazza and Laudrup imo, its just sharpens their abilities. So players like Gazza would benefit from that if they played today and would have probably been even better. But they are still standout players even by modern standards.

Gazza was actually incredibly fit , if you watch him at Euro 96 the shift he puts in every game is incredible right upto the semis he's still running about daft even in extra time.

12 hours ago, Willis said:

I think Laudrup in particular was a model professional who would have zero problems in the modern game.  And we are only talking about 20+ years ago for most of the players in our greatest ever team I dont think sports science has avanced as much or that past teams were as unfit as some people like to pretend.  You would think we have a race of genetically enhanced supermen playing today the way some are talking.  Sure some players in the past smoked and drank but far from all of them.  And the ones who did drink heavily such as Baxter, Gazza and George Best it unquestionably cut short their careers at the highest level  but in their prime they were as fit as anyone else.   Nobody could question Stanley Matthews fitness who played on into his 50s  Some madman on here was even doubting Pele's ability to adapt to the modern game when Pele's stamina and  athleticism were among his greatest attibutes.

So players today are faster than players of 20/30/40 years ago and these players could not last 90 minutes. I seem to remember lots of players who were very quick and lasted 90 minutes no problem. Our top 11 would probably dismantle the present team.

19 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Ferguson was a far, far better player for Rangers than Gascogine was, it's not even that close. 

It’s the ‘for Rangers’ bit that makes it interesting. Gazza was a far better player, but Ferguson contributed far more (IMO) - so who goes in?

27 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s the ‘for Rangers’ bit that makes it interesting. Gazza was a far better player, but Ferguson contributed far more (IMO) - so who goes in?

I’m not that arsed about what Gazza did for Spurs, Lazio and England personally. I actually think Ferguson was even a better football player for Rangers than Gazza was.

48 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Gazza was world class, in fact when at Rangers he was one of the best in the world.

It’s not even a debate ffs.

2 hours ago, Falkirk Blue said:

I think Laudrup in particular was a model professional who would have zero problems in the modern game. 

When his brother got sacked by Swansea it emerged that one of the reasons the players fell out with him was because he was taking the absolute piss in training.

Here was a guy in his late 40s, 15 odd years retired, running rings around modern day professionals.

One of the best in the world when with us, mental statement TBH, he was dominant for the most part domestically but in Europe, nah, that doesn't all rest on him but he was signed to help us kick on in Europe that was the platform he was signed for, and to be honest we were a fucking joke in Europe during his time with us rather than a side being dragged on by one of the best in the world.  One of the best players in the world chasing his arse when we got dicked by Gotheburg, not for me, a lot romanticize his time with us. 

Not even close when speaking about how they both performed in Europe (Gazza and Ferguson) - Parma, Leverkusen away, Porto at home, Stuttgart at home, Villareal away, arguably the best player on the park against Bayern in 99, a cornerstone when we make the last 16 and a European Final  - Gazza can't even look at that TBH 

For all that Gazza was good domestically, Aberdeen 8 in a row, great, fantastic, still not a patch on the display of Ferguson in the 2002 Cup Final, 5-1 against the tramps, 3-0 against the Tramps - Gazza had a hell of a season in 95/96 - his high point for sure - but it was just wasn't Ferguson in 02/03 when Ferguson was, utterly sublime against a stronger celtic side than Gazza played against while playing in a weaker Rangers team than Gazza played in

There is no tangible measure in which Gazza was better than him for Rangers, Euro 96 and a goal against Scotland, pfft Ferguson at Wembley 

22 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

One of the best in the world when with us, mental statement TBH, he was dominant for the most part domestically but in Europe, nah, that doesn't all rest on him but he was signed to help us kick on in Europe that was the platform he was signed for, and to be honest we were a fucking joke in Europe during his time with us rather than a side being dragged on by one of the best in the world.  One of the best players in the world chasing his arse when we got dicked by Gotheburg, not for me, a lot romanticize his time with us. 

Not even close when speaking about how they both performed in Europe (Gazza and Ferguson) - Parma, Leverkusen away, Porto at home, Stuttgart at home, Villareal away, arguably the best player on the park against Bayern in 99, a cornerstone when we make the last 16 and a European Final  - Gazza can't even look at that TBH 

For all that Gazza was good domestically, Aberdeen 8 in a row, great, fantastic, still not a patch on the display of Ferguson in the 2002 Cup Final, 5-1 against the tramps, 3-0 against the Tramps - Gazza had a hell of a season in 95/96 - his high point for sure - but it was just wasn't Ferguson in 02/03 when Ferguson was, utterly sublime against a stronger celtic side than Gazza played against while playing in a weaker Rangers team than Gazza played in

There is no tangible measure in which Gazza was better than him for Rangers, Euro 96 and a goal against Scotland, pfft Ferguson at Wembley 

I agree with this. You can't be in our greatest team because of 2 great seasons domestically. Ferguson would get in that team ahead. Albertz would get in before Gazza IMO. Check out Albertz goals and assists v the scum on top of European and domestic goals/achievements.

Gazza and Souness get over hyped cos of their profile prior to joining us.

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

:lol: 

Archived