On 19/04/2021 at 15:22, Badger said:

Hamilton is very very good. However no denying he got dealt a hand that no driver in the history of the sport has ever held - Nobody has had 7 straight years in a team that has won 80% of the races. Not even Schumacher/Ferrari came close to that over such a long time frame.

However, regardless of the fortune, Hamilton has had the talent to capitalise on a very good situation - plenty wouldn't have. 

F1 has always been an elitist sport, but it's concerning just how elitist is is becoming. 65% of the current grid were born into families whom are (at least) multi millionaires.

Seems like every year now another couple of drivers get added because they bring with them millions in funding from their rich families. 

• 2 weeks later...

100 poles for Lewis, first driver to do so and something only 5 constructors have managed. Great lap aswell even managing it when he had to slow down slightly with gravel on the track from Perez spin.

Max second so hopefully a good battle between the two again tomorrow.

That was such a good race. The Hamilton v Verstappen battle was a good watch. It's so tight between the two and races are being won by great strategy or 5 or 6 great laps from either driver.

Hopefully some of what Mercedes and Hamilton are doing early on comes back to Red Bull & Verstappen as the season goes on!

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Ferrari apparently confident that Leclerc’s gearbox will be ok for tomorrow.

Great chance for Max to close the gap or even go top tomorrow. Will take a hell of a drive from Lewis to get a podium starting from 7th on that track.

I was relieved when I read that Ferrari tweet. I took either Ferrari to win the race at 6/1. Also had Leclerc (14/1) and Sainz (20/1) for fastest qualifier.

Not often do you get decent odds in F1.

Bristol loyal likes this

14 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

I was relieved when I read that Ferrari tweet. I took either Ferrari to win the race at 6/1. Also had Leclerc (14/1) and Sainz (20/1) for fastest qualifier.

Not often do you get decent odds in F1.

Looks like Ferrari spoke too soon. Charles reporting issues with the gear box...

SIRB_72 likes this

3 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

Looks like Ferrari spoke too soon. Charles reporting issues with the gear box...

I checked this morning about 11 and didn't look at anything until 5 minutes before the race. Still in profit on that front after yesterday. 

It would have been nice to see Leclerc and Verstappen go at it but not to be.

The Championship is hotting up very nicely!

1 hour ago, Badger said:

A drive shaft issue is inexcusable to have not been tested and checked thoroughly.

One of the easiest components to check!

I have no mechanical knowledge at all so no idea how they check etc, but got to wonder what they were thinking. Why risk it? Everyone seemed to know there would be damage apart from Ferrari themselves! 

Could have had an extra 8+ points in the battle for 3rd in the constructors, instead they got greedy and it’s cost them.

23 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

I have no mechanical knowledge at all so no idea how they check etc, but got to wonder what they were thinking. Why risk it? Everyone seemed to know there would be damage apart from Ferrari themselves! 

Could have had an extra 8+ points in the battle for 3rd in the constructors, instead they got greedy and it’s cost them.

Looks like they focused on the side that took the hit and ignored/skimmed by the side that never.

• 2 weeks later...

What an absolute belter of a race!

Even before the unfortunate tyre failures for Stroll & Verstappen. I thought it was a really engaging race with some good strategy going on pre and post safety cars.

Really happy for Perez to get that win as he had been on it all weekend. With Hamilton going off I think Red Bull got a bit of luck back from Verstappen which their performance all weekend deserved!

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

A wild stat that just shows how rare the last two weeks for Mercedes have been: This is the first time Mercedes have failed to get a car on the podium two races in a row since USA-Brazil 2013.

Bottas is having a stinker this season, fuelling rumours he's about to be replaced by George Russell.