Champions League 2024: New format with 10-match first phase set to be agreed

Essandoh

It’s being discussed in the General Sports section but it directly affects us going forward so should be here. Basically, UEFA are now actively imposing the changes - that people at the top said would never happen - to secure the big sponsorship money and the presence of the ‘elite’ clubs in the latter stages of the competition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56573883

A new Champions League format, featuring a 10-match first phase from 2024, is expected to be agreed by Uefa on Wednesday.

The proposal, which has been under discussion for almost two years, will be finalised on Tuesday and then signed off by Uefa's executive committee.

Under the new format, the current group phase will be scrapped.

In its place, the number of qualifiers will be expanded from 32 to 36, with space for two 'wild card' entries.

The wild cards will be reserved for clubs with the highest Uefa co-efficient - points used to rank clubs based on past European success - who have not qualified for the competition through their league position.

If the format was being used now, based on the current table it would mean Liverpool would gain a Champions League spot despite being seventh in the Premier League.

There has been opposition to the plans, in particular from the European Leagues organisation, who said it would create a "de facto closed shop".

However, Uefa officials and representatives from the European Club Association have backed the new arrangement, which former Manchester United keeper and current Ajax chief executive Edwin van der Sar is credited with suggesting.

Under the new format, each team will play 10 matches against opponents varying in strength, with the results forming an overall league table. 

Those in the highest eight positions will move on to the knockout phase, with those from ninth to 24th going into a play-off round.

If as reported it means £70m to each qualifier the it will be the death of several leagues, including ours IMO.

Not an issue if we qualify for first 3 years in a row though 😂 

It will be impossible for any other team to compete with one club earning £70m windfall for one season’s participantion.

11 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

It’s not a great idea at all - in fact more and more they are changing the game to be an elitist sport - not a huge fan 

I think this is UEFA's answer to stop the top leagues breaking away into a European Super League. I think England were actually opposed to this idea but UEFA pushing on anyway.

The format sounds horrendous as well.

Isn’t it about time they just Ditched the paradoxically named Champions League for the League of Teams from nations with big TV audiences and therefore maximum advertising potential. 

That’s all Uefa care about, they don’t give a toss about football 

Not even talking from a Rangers point of view that sounds fucking awful 

Don’t even get me started on wild card entries

I can’t believe we haven’t yet reached the point where everyone is sick of seeing these same teams playing each other, fuck them, let them go start their super league and they’ll come crawling back when everyone is sick of watching them play each other. Already find myself watching less and less football outside of Rangers as there’s little entertainment value

I find the idea of an overall league table of 32 teams despite you only playing 10 fixtures absolutely baffling and like something the SPL would come up with 

5 hours ago, Big Al 55 said:

If as reported it means £70m to each qualifier the it will be the death of several leagues, including ours IMO.

Not an issue if we qualify for first 3 years in a row though 😂 

It will be impossible for any other team to compete with one club earning £70m windfall for one season’s participantion.

GREEDY BASTARDS ,just got Greedier 

The richest clubs are dictating football and compensating UEFA officials handsomely with bribes. It has been going on for decades (and FIFA).

Imagine the possibility of finishing 7th and qualifying for CL? (Liverpool). Absolute joke.

The rich get richer in all facets in life.

Also, why does it take 3 years to sign off on something? I never understand that.

2 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Not even talking from a Rangers point of view that sounds fucking awful 

Don’t even get me started on wild card entries

I can’t believe we haven’t yet reached the point where everyone is sick of seeing these same teams playing each other, fuck them, let them go start their super league and they’ll come crawling back when everyone is sick of watching them play each other. Already find myself watching less and less football outside of Rangers as there’s little entertainment value

I find the idea of an overall league table of 32 teams despite you only playing 10 fixtures absolutely baffling and like something the SPL would come up with 

Have seen this happen in other sports eg Kerry Packer's cricket "circus" and the Provincial League in Speedway. Always comes back to a return to an acceptable compromise.

31 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The richest clubs are dictating football and compensating UEFA officials handsomely with bribes. It has been going on for decades (and FIFA).

Imagine the possibility of finishing 7th and qualifying for CL? (Liverpool). Absolute joke.

The rich get richer in all facets in life.

Also, why does it take 3 years to sign off on something? I never understand that.

Can only pay so many people off each year

Terrible idea.  

Its bad enough already with the division of wealth between teams but , as others have mentioned , this will just kill off several leagues .

Most nations should just drop out / boycott , and let the top 5 nations have an annual play off . They would need to call it something else as it would no longer represent the ' Champions League ' .

Archived