Getting ready for the Champions League

Essandoh

On 02/04/2021 at 02:11, Essandoh said:

I get we have qualifiers and all that shite but post your best Champions League memories

This is the first link I found I’m pished 

Immediately post a draw against dug meat

Papac making Ronaldinho look like he's shit. 

The only thing Paul LeGuen done right for Rangers.

Can't believe how exciting it was to know a manager of his "calibre" was coming to our club. Pity his preparation for the season to come was a run in the desert. 

Only good thing to come out if his appointment (bar Papac) was getting Walter back 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Papac making Ronaldinho look like he's shit. 

The only thing Paul LeGuen done right for Rangers.

Can't believe how exciting it was to know a manager of his "calibre" was coming to our club. Pity his preparation for the season to come was a run in the desert. 

Only good thing to come out if his appointment (bar Papac) was getting Walter back 

Sionko tae 😁

16 hours ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

Can still see fosters sitter if I close my eyes. Should’ve been 3 up by halftime 

I remember them running to the ball to stop us taking quick free kicks at every opportunity, the referee doing nothing and the place going mental.

Villarreal away in last 16 was some scene, the entry to the ground was horrible, 

barcelona away some travelling support- 

the toilet facilities and catering outlets in the Bucharest stadium were somthing else 😂

bring it on!!! my oldest boy is itching to get to an away European game

28 minutes ago, tom1780 said:

Villarreal away in last 16 was some scene, the entry to the ground was horrible, 

the toilet facilities and catering outlets in the Bucharest stadium were somthing else 😂

Bucharest was class, remember phoning my Mrs at HT to tell her to record the bears at HT as the seats started flying towards their security 😂😂

My first memory of European Cup was the noise against Kiev, quickly followed by watching Hagi senior rip us a new arse.

The CL is a difficult place, Ajax, Juventus, Valencia with arguably better teams than our current one but all worth it for Leeds, Porto, PSV.

If we can take our EL form forward, bit of strengthening of squad, bit of luck in the draw then hopefully we can get some special nights for us to enjoy.

Gary McSwegans header against Marseille, woke the crowd up and we roared the team on to a 2-2 draw against a fucking outstanding team, one of the best I’ve ever watched live. I know cunts call them cheats or whatever but that team was good enough to win the champions league without all the shenanigans. Played us off the park for 70 minutes at Ibrox.

Red star Belgrade as well drew 1-1 with them at Ibrox after they pumped us in Belgrade 

Two years in a row we drew with the European cup/champions league winners at Ibrox 

pretty sure a few of the Redstar players signed for Marseille and played in both ties 

1 hour ago, tom1780 said:

2 hours 40 minutes took me to get in mate ,being told the ground is full standing with a Rangers end ticket , lovenkrands put the ball in the net the minute I got into the seating area 👍🏻🕺😂

1 hour ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Red star Belgrade as well drew 1-1 with them at Ibrox after they pumped us in Belgrade 

Two years in a row we drew with the European cup/champions league winners at Ibrox 

pretty sure a few of the Redstar players signed for Marseille and played in both ties 

That Red Star was one of the best I have seen live.

1 hour ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Probably thinking of Dragan Stojkovic. He left Red Star for Marseille in the summer before we played Red Star, then I think he was injured most of the season of 92/93.

11 hours ago, ready1873 said:

Sionko tae 😁

Alway thought he would've done better if we played him on the other wing.  That's where he played for his precious squad and possibly his country too. 

He looked more comfortable and twice the player when played on the left. Think of a Ryan Kent type without the two feet.

Not CL but the original European Cup when you had to win your league to qualify, I was in the centre stand when we played Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960. They had already beaten us 6-1 in Germany but with the optimism of youth I was sure we could turn it round. Alas it wasnot to be and we suffered a 3-6 loss. Was so disappointed that we would not be in the final at Hampden until Real Madrid took Eintracht apart; God knows what they would have done to us

12 minutes ago, ayro said:

Strum Graz home was when I thought we had nailed it in the CL...then we went to the big Arnie stadium in Austria and shat the bed 💩

Numan got sent off for fuck all didn't he?

In truth it was Monaco at home (Amoruso pissing about) and a shocker of a first half against Galatasaray away that killed us.

Dado Prso set up the goal that put us out for Monaco.

On 02/04/2021 at 02:38, peter huistra said:

Leeds in the battle of Britain and that whole campaign was epic so many great memories from Nisbet scoring that fluke to Durrant scoring in marseille and then failing to score v CSka Moscow in the last game, I'm sure their keeper that night was on something. 

The season we played Parma and got through was also full of great results destroying PSV home and away with Albertz scoring a ripper.

Dodds scoring that sublime chip v gratz.

Loverkrands goal v Villareal, Boyds miss in the second leg.

Great memories but loads of heartache.

My jaw dropped when that piledriver from Hateley hit the net at Elland Road. What a night 

1 hour ago, Corky True Legend said:

Not CL but the original European Cup when you had to win your league to qualify, I was in the centre stand when we played Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960. They had already beaten us 6-1 in Germany but with the optimism of youth I was sure we could turn it round. Alas it wasnot to be and we suffered a 3-6 loss. Was so disappointed that we would not be in the final at Hampden until Real Madrid took Eintracht apart; God knows what they would have done to us

We would have been soundly thrashed I think. They were some team .

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Numan got sent off for fuck all didn't he?

In truth it was Monaco at home (Amoruso pissing about) and a shocker of a first half against Galatasaray away that killed us.

Dado Prso set up the goal that put us out for Monaco.

Not sure, was blazing tbh, will have a look.

Yeah Amo cutting about like John Stones and Marco Simeone scored iirc.

Galatasary at home 0-0 as well, definitely an opportunity missed that season.

11 minutes ago, ayro said:

Not sure, was blazing tbh, will have a look.

Yeah Amo cutting about like John Stones and Marco Simeone scored iirc.

Galatasary at home 0-0 as well, definitely an opportunity missed that season.

Amo got shown up in Europe a few times. Inexplicable handball v Parma, got caught wrong side for Valencia’s opener in the away game, home game their second goal he got ran right through after getting away with passing a terrible ball to Ferguson just before it. Bumbling performance away to Galatasaray.

Having said that, not the only Rangers captain to be shaky in Europe. Gough was past his best in Europe after 92/93 and it showed badly.

Archived