Ryan Jack

esquire8

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Absolute unit defensive midfielders is a bit of an old concept now though.

Most of the best defensive midfielders in the world aren’t massive 6’2 6’3 destroyer type units like there were 10-15 years ago.

The game has evolved since then and it’s generally a lot more technical now.

Exactly, Ngolo Kante is probably the best at it in the world and he’s tiny, more about reading the game and making interceptions now than crunching tackles (most of which are illegal now anyway) 

2 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

That would be perfect if only he was fit. 

They think they’ve got to the bottom of the problem, so they believe he will be. He’s contributed enough to be given the chance to prove his fitness. 

2 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

Who gets dropped to play him? 

Why are people so obsessed with this? We have a core of 14 players who all play depending on the the opposition. No one in that 14 is “dropped” if they play one week and not the next. 

49 minutes ago, SPWF said:

They think they’ve got to the bottom of the problem, so they believe he will be. He’s contributed enough to be given the chance to prove his fitness. 

Why are people so obsessed with this? We have a core of 14 players who all play depending on the the opposition. No one in that 14 is “dropped” if they play one week and not the next. 

Our players seem to get better when they’re injured. There’s no obsession mate. How good is he? Don’t fucking know because he is always with doctors and physios. 

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Our players seem to get better when they’re injured. There’s no obsession mate. How good is he? Don’t fucking know because he is always with doctors and physios. 

If you don't know how good he is after 130 competitive appearances maybe you should take up another sport.

5 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

I’m talking about the obsession with “dropping” players. We don’t have a settled 11 for players to be dropped. Bar a handful we rotate players based on that particular matches requirements. 

As for the how good is he statement... 

He’s played well over a hundred games for us. If you can’t tell how good, or bad even, he is you probably don’t know much about football. Fair enough if you just said you though he was shite, you’d still be wrong, but at least it’s an opinion. But saying he’s been too injured to make an assessment is a bizarre claim tbh. 

1 minute ago, SPWF said:

I’m talking about the obsession with “dropping” players. We don’t have a settled 11 for players to be dropped. Bar a handful we rotate players based on that particular matches requirements. 

We do really.

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Davis Kamara

Kent Morelos 

all as good as nailed on starters. Only very occasional rotation. 

22 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

We do really.

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Davis Kamara

Kent Morelos 

all as good as nailed on starters. Only very occasional rotation. 

If Joe Aribo is fit, he almost always starts. You'd be surprised just how rarely Aribo is on the bench. 

21 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Works for me. 
Great asset on the pitch for us. 

Totally agree. It was something I looked at recently in relation to him and Hagi and was surprised at just how much Aribo starts. For me, that's 10 of the 11 nailed on starters each week. 

On 07/05/2021 at 17:03, SPWF said:

He’s played well over a hundred games for us. If you can’t tell how good, or bad even, he is you probably don’t know much about football. Fair enough if you just said you though he was shite, you’d still be wrong, but at least it’s an opinion. But saying he’s been too injured to make an assessment is a bizarre claim tbh. 

On 07/05/2021 at 17:03, SPWF said:

So how good is he? Rate him for me because apparently I don’t know much about football as you say. 

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Totally agree. It was something I looked at recently in relation to him and Hagi and was surprised at just how much Aribo starts. For me, that's 10 of the 11 nailed on starters each week. 

Aribo should never start in midfield if Jack is fit. The fact that he’s played so many games is a reflection of Jack’s injury (which we hope to have cured now) rather than outstanding performances from Aribo in the middle.

No problem offering Aribo an opportunity to challenge Wright, Roofe, Hagi or Itten for the remaining place alongside Kent and Morelos who are certainties.

But, in the midfield, if Jack is fit, Jack plays.

18 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Aribo should never start in midfield if Jack is fit. The fact that he’s played so many games is a reflection of Jack’s injury (which we hope to have cured now) rather than outstanding performances from Aribo in the middle.

No problem offering Aribo an opportunity to challenge Wright, Roofe, Hagi or Itten for the remaining place alongside Kent and Morelos who are certainties.

But, in the midfield, if Jack is fit, Jack plays.

I think Gerrard probably hoped that Zungu would offer a bit more than he has done. Aribo is one of the 10s really but had to drop deeper because we’re so light in the middle 

Just now, NorthernLights said:

I think Gerrard probably hoped that Zungu would offer a bit more than he has done. Aribo is one of the 10s really but had to drop deeper because we’re so light in the middle 

And we got away with it most of the time.

36 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

A bit more? So 1/10 instead of 0/10?

Boy was absolutely woeful.

Probably more a -5/10 since the only thing he contributed was being the most senior player in that covid shite.

Aribo came to us a CM but is clearly a 10 due to his lacking work rate.