Glasgow Argyle

GOAT

I’ve always thought my Rangers knowledge is really good, I could tell you a lot about our history, but I’ve actually just discovered we were originally called Glasgow Argyle and our first ever game against Callander at flashers Haugh in the green was played under the Glasgow Argyle name.

I know the story about how we got our name from a rugby team in England I’m sure it was, but I thought we were Rangers from day one.  Every day is a school day. 

oh and btw, thank fuck they changed it, what a horrible fucking name. 

2 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I’ve always thought my Rangers knowledge is really good, I could tell you a lot about our history, but I’ve actually just discovered we were originally called Glasgow Argyle and our first ever game against Callander at flashers Haugh in the green was played under the Glasgow Argyle name.

I know the story about how we got our name from a rugby team in England I’m sure it was, but I thought we were Rangers from day one.  Every day is a school day. 

Only lasted a matter of weeks i think before it was changed. Remember reading something about it before.

30 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Only lasted a matter of weeks i think before it was changed. Remember reading something about it before.

according to willie allison they played clyde in the first and were known as argyll. but the name looked odd so it was changed after 1 game.Rangers the new era. william allison.

3 hours ago, GOAT said:

That explains where my user name came from.  Also Argyle house restaurant wasn't just a random name. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I didn't know this either.

Not mentioned in the founders trail (that I can remember). 

Don’t know how long it was for, could have only been one game but from what I’ve read earlier the game against Callander we played under the name Glasgow Argyle.   Fucking horrible name. 🤣🤣

20 hours ago, GOAT said:

I'm almost certain (my memory is pish though) that Ally named his son Argyll for that reason. 

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I don't think that is correct.

This is what the Gallant Pioneers book has to say about this.

Gallant-Pioneers.png

In Glasgow, Argyll is often misspelled as Argyle.  

Living in Argyll, it was something I noticed years ago. Newspapers were the worst for it. 

I can't think of a reason why a team from Argyll would spell the name of their team withe an  'e' rather than the double 'LL'... it doesn't make sense. 

3 hours ago, RS4_wul said:

I'm almost certain (my memory is pish though) that Ally named his son Argyll for that reason. 

Ally loves Argyll, he even has a house here that he stays in regularly.  I always thought that was the reason he called his first born 'Argyle, being from Glasgow would make sense of why he spelled her name with an 'e'. 

Obviously 'Argyle Street' is very well known, and the spelling of that Street has the 'e' at the end. Think it was named after someone with the name 'Argyle'?? 

So when using the word as a person's name, it makes sense to use the 'e'. But when talking about the area, it's spelled 'Argyll'.

Obviously can't say for sure, would need to ask Ally...

Archived