The captain

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Tav has had a great record with few injuries. But with age, comes a higher risk.

Patterson is going no where. In fact I think he is the better of the two players. Gerrard wants two players for each position. He couldn't as for two better right backs.

D76811B9-1905-430B-A810-8BB73DC5E14A.gif.214123b50a94f711ac805c465725892f.gif

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

I'm on the Patterson out on loan train.

If it was one year of Tav then I'd keep him, but there's no point keeping him on the bench for 3 more years. 2 years out on loan and then a transitional season would be the best scenario imo. One year out on loan at least.

Sign a free agent as cover in the summer and let Patterson go out and develop week in week out. Would also increase his value if he played well at a decent standard of team whilst his value will do nothing from the bench. 

All well and good, until Tav gets an injury and we’ve got a great RB out on loan and some useless cunt in on a free transfer. 

Sorry for the delay in answering the posts that I knew would get a reaction...

Let me say, I am glad Tavernier in staying. He has fully earned the extension. Tav was absolutely lights out from July until Christmas but in 2021 before his injury he tailed off a bit. 

The more I see off young Patterson, the more he reminds me of Hutton. Who would you rather see... Hutton in his day or Tavernier?

If Tierney can go to Arsenal at 21 and Hickey to Italy at 18 then Patterson is ready. The old saying - if you are good enough you are old enough.

When Tav is fit, he plays. I get it,  after all, he is the captain but that's not to say Patterson isn't already better.

I hope we do not play Tav & Patterson the way Scotland do with Tierney & Robertson. It doesn't work. It is one or the other and I am fine with either one.

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Let me say, I am glad Tavernier in staying. He has fully earned the extension. Tav was absolutely lights out from July until Christmas but in 2021 before his injury he tailed off a bit. 

The more I see off young Patterson, the more he reminds me of Hutton. Who would you rather see... Hutton in his day or Tavernier?

If Tierney can go to Arsenal at 21 and Hickey to Italy at 18 then Patterson is ready. The old saying - if you are good enough you are old enough.

When Tav is fit, he plays. I get it,  after all, he is the captain but that's not to say Patterson isn't already better.

I hope we do not play Tav & Patterson the way Scotland do with Tierney & Robertson. It doesn't work. It is one or the other and I am fine with either one.

:confused:

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Patterson is not better 

Radical thought why not play 2 right backs one goes them other stays and you rotate it would confuse the other team a lot only issue is the timings of the rotations would have to be worked on extensively but mick neil is well regarded as a coach so he should be able to do it other conundrum is what position do you sacrifice obviously not the goalie and probably not the left back as would be too predictable our attacks would come down the right so maybe the RCM< but maybe you want to overload that side of the pitch and leave him in maybe play with 12 men and hope the ref isn't paying attention but maybe the linesmen would pick up on it who knows it's a big decision one that could shape the future of the club

For all those saying I don't know what this means for Patterson, he'll get more than enough game time next season. He's shown he can cover for Tav no problem and Tav will be rotated more next season rather than playing every game. Expect Patterson to play the games before or after Europe(unless it's the tims) and Cup games. 

Sending him out on loan is a mistake and if Tavs form drops the people saying loan him out will be the 1st to say we shouldn't have. 

Big season next season and we need the best squad possible. 

5 hours ago, magic8ball said:

He’s not quite ready to be the main man at RB ,This time next year he will be more ready .The year after that he will be 100pc ready .

I agree, but he needs game time next season as well, buy no doubt Stevie and his backroom gang will have it all thought trough.  

4 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Start at home against the lower sides in the league and would give him the majority of cup games. 

No doubt it will all have been worked out how they will manage it, but it is not that easy to drop the Capt from games.

Time will tell. :thumbup:

Patterson has already played in 3 high profile European ties and did not look out of place. He came on at HT in the OF game and shored up the right-hand side which was an issue in the first-half.  I don't look at his age, I look at his performances. The kid is ready.

James Tavernier is the Rangers captain and is Gerrard's go-to player. A really good player didn't sign an extension to see reduced minutes.

If both stay healthy, there is plenty of room for debate as to who plays. 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Patterson has already played in 3 high profile European ties and did not look out of place. He came on at HT in the OF game and shored up the right-hand side which was an issue in the first-half.  I don't look at his age, I look at his performances. The kid is ready.

James Tavernier is the Rangers captain and is Gerrard's go-to player. A really good player didn't sign an extension to see reduced minutes.

If both stay healthy, there is plenty of room for debate as to who plays. 

Slavia successfully targeted his area of the pitch due to its weakness.