Goram

25 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He was rotten mate. Looking back with blue tinted specs if you think it wasn’t the case.

Prior to the 10IAR season I barely remember a mistake from him. No one is saying he wasn’t an absolute top drawer keeper the rest of the time. 

It took him ages to get a contract after he left us and ended up at Motherwell as well, he was a mess - looked like a complete jake, still rocked up and put on a mental display at the shit pit even in that condition, incredible. 

Liked I loved him but come on eh...:lol:

spacer.png

Goram gets it for me. McGregor is great but at the end of the day he jumped ship when we went to the lower leagues and only came back once we were getting back to the top, I've forgiven him for it but he'll always be below Goram in terms of legend status imo

51 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He was rotten mate. Looking back with blue tinted specs if you think it wasn’t the case.

Prior to the 10IAR season I barely remember a mistake from him. No one is saying he wasn’t an absolute top drawer keeper the rest of the time. 

We will have lost 10 in row due to him next .Surprised at you Graeme .I have to disagree with all that .He was never rotten at any point in his Rangers career .Only time I can recall thinking that was the Heats game away ,which I was at .Where he got off to a bad start losing a horrendous goal  He recovered from that and become the absolute legend he was between the sticks 

31 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It took him ages to get a contract after he left us and ended up at Motherwell as well, he was a mess - looked like a complete jake, still rocked up and put on a mental display at the shit pit even in that condition, incredible. 

Liked I loved him but come on eh...:lol:

spacer.png

Did he shag your mrs on something 🤣🤣

45 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Goram was by far the better goalkeeper, it's not anywhere near close.

McGregor is now running him close or possibly overtaken him as a better "Ranger" though.

Both are magic .Trying to separate them is like a couple of 10 year olds in the playground . And then slagging one of them off to prove am argument .We only have our own experiences and our own opinions .

Both have has moments one way or the other 

55 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

McGregor is an excellent keeper and has earned the right to definitely be part of the discussion. 

But...

Goram was a fantastic shot stopper but also great with the ball at his feet. McGregor not so much, although in terms of shot stopping he is almost as good as Goram, though I would say that for me, Goram edges it. That's in no way to demean McGregor as he is outstanding and has if anything improved over the years, which is testament to his desire to get better. 

Klos is up there for me as well. We really have had some outstanding goalies represent our club. 

Good summary as usual from yourself 👍

I always loved the way Andy would have the confidence to walk the ball out of the area before launching it to one of our players .In those days with big Marcus winning everything up top.It put defences under P most of the time 

3 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Good summary as usual from yourself 👍

I always loved the way Andy would have the confidence to walk the ball out of the area before launching it to one of our players .In those days with big Marcus winning everything up top.It put defences under P most of the time 

I think it's sometimes forgotten about that he was as decent with the ball at his feet as well, but I think that says how good a shot stopper he was that people do forget. 

Big Mark was outstanding as well. He must have been horrible to play against. 

Goram for me.  As amazing as his performance in his prime were, I remember the AC Milan legends game and he was fucking outstanding despite being overweight and long retired.  Spoke to some Milan fans in the pub after and they were asking "who's the flying pig"? They couldn't believe how good he was given his shape.  

I don't think his reflexes can be matched - unique. McGregor is fantastic, but I think Goram is still above for me.

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Fantastic keeper. Neck and neck with him and McGregor though.

Not nice to remember, but Goram was absolutely howling in the 10IAR season. Levels dropped to miles below McGregor at his worst, bordering on unprofessionalism. 

Yeah fair enough. He never looked after himself and clearly wasn't the most professional but for me he will always be our best keeper. He wasn't the only 1 that was bad that season as Laudrup had downed tools as well and he was 34 when he left. I know he signed for man u after us but he never got back to that standard. 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

We will have lost 10 in row due to him next .Surprised at you Graeme .I have to disagree with all that .He was never rotten at any point in his Rangers career .Only time I can recall thinking that was the Heats game away ,which I was at .Where he got off to a bad start losing a horrendous goal  He recovered from that and become the absolute legend he was between the sticks 

He was very poor in Europe a few times too. But so was everyone in our 90s squads.

I think McGregor has been a far more consistent performer for us over the years in Europe.

3 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Good point that not many posters will remember. Goram had a shambles of a season when we went for 10. On and off the park if I recall correctly.

Goram had a shambles is just fuckin ridiculous , talking pish. Every defender that played with Goram have commented on how good it was to have him behind them. McGregor has made many howlers the first time round in big games for us especially against the filth. Hes actually playing better now than he ever has but is still dodgy coming out for cross balls. 

Goram number one all day .........

4 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Goram had a shambles is just fuckin ridiculous , talking pish. Every defender that played with Goram have commented on how good it was to have him behind them. McGregor has made many howlers the first time round in big games for us especially against the filth. Hes actually playing better now than he ever has but is still dodgy coming out for cross balls. 

Goram number one all day .........

He missed 16 games in the 10iar season. Drank his marriage away, got caught having an affair. Quit the Scotland team after being included for the squad for France 98. First player Advocaat wanted and got out the door. Yes. He had a shambles of a season in comparison to his previous years. 

3 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

Got to grow up watching Goram and I've said it's a close call between them both now which I never though would be a possibility.

Shagger has undoubtedly saved us more points than Goram and kept us in far more games  In the 90s we were more dominant and there was certainly a fear factor coming to Ibrox but this year has brought that fear back.

It's harder to argue that Goram is (was) the better due to lack of footage and quality of the videos.

For me it's still Goram but if shagger has a season like this, next year then it's Shagger - the goalie - Klos for me. Never got to see Woods play for us (so this comment could be the exact same that some2will have in regard to the Goram/McGregor debate)

I don't think we were more dominant. Certainly than this season. We're routinely conceding low, low numbers of shots on or off target. On a few occasions no shots have been conceded at all.

Goram was a marginally better shot stopper, better with his feet and better on cross balls. Better overall. I'd say not far off best in the world at one time, which shagger isn't.

1 minute ago, PromDeAnglais said:

He missed 16 games in the 10iar season. Drank his marriage away, got caught having an affair. Quit the Scotland team after being included for the squad for France 98. First player Advocaat wanted and got out the door. Yes. He had a shambles of a season in comparison to his previous years. 

So his private life was a shambles , big deal happens to lots of players.  I dont recall the word shambles appearing anytime he was on the park.

17 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He was very poor in Europe a few times too. But so was everyone in our 90s squads.

I think McGregor has been a far more consistent performer for us over the years in Europe.

Would question that - Rangers were a shambles - Goram often saved us from some utter dickings

the only questionable goal I can remember was the Del Piero free kick 

3 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

So his private life was a shambles , big deal happens to lots of players.  I dont recall the word shambles appearing anytime he was on the park.

Agreed. But his absences during the 97/98 season was a result of his personal life. And he made 2 or 3 howlers in that season as well. Most notably 2 in the one game away at Dundee United that we lost. Anyways. Amazing keeper regardless but McGregor just gets my vote after this season. 

44 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Would question that - Rangers were a shambles - Goram often saved us from some utter dickings

the only questionable goal I can remember was the Del Piero free kick 

Yeah, Juve (although Thomson was worse at home). Strasbourg at home - poor for both goals. Sparta at home. Probably should have done better with Gothenburg's second but that's probably a bit harsh. 

Not an exclusive thing though. Ally Maxwell was laughable v Levski. I'm sure Snelders had a shocker against Strasbourg away? Gough was very poor in a lot of our European games. 

One game he was excellent in when we got pumped was v Grasshopper away. Could have been 5-6.

Edit: Forgot this - his worst performance tbh.