Goram

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah, Juve (although Thomson was worse at home). Strasbourg at home - poor for both goals. Sparta at home. Probably should have done better with Gothenburg's second but that's probably a bit harsh. 

Not an exclusive thing though. Ally Maxwell was laughable v Levski. I'm sure Snelders had a shocker against Strasbourg? Gough was very poor in a lot of our European games. 

One game he was excellent in when we got pumped was v Grasshopper away. Could have been 5-6.

Edit: Forgot this - his worst performance tbh.

Gough was fucking terrible in European games from what a can remember? 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

Defence went to pieces for some reason or another in a lot of those games. We always seemed to concede really stupid goals from players being unable to clear the ball off the post as well :lol: 

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Defence went to pieces for some reason or another in a lot of those games. We always seemed to concede really stupid goals from players being unable to clear the ball off the post as well :lol: 

I genuinely believe it was that easy for us at home that we really did struggle to lift it.

No surprise our best run was the season after Aberdeen pushed us all all way 

4 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I genuinely believe it was that easy for us at home that we really did struggle to lift it.

No surprise our best run was the season after Aberdeen pushed us all all way 

Yeah. I think tactically we were outdated as well. We went to 5 at the back from 94 onwards when the direction was more heading towards a back 4 at the top level. I don't think we ever looked comfortable playing it.

5 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I honestly think that it is far closer between Goram and McGregor than many think.

Sentimentality comes into it, and the older player will tend to get the appreciation more than the current player.

I honestly cant really separate them.

Shagger is excellent but I do think goram just shades it 

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Amount a times the right or left back whoever they were during the games just cleared the baw and it went about 10-15 yards straight to the opposition and they scored from it was horrific 

12 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

Amount a times the right or left back whoever they were during the games just cleared the baw and it went about 10-15 yards straight to the opposition and they scored from it was horrific 

As much as David Robertson was lauded as being great for us, and domestically he was, in Europe he was absolutely honking. Wildly out his depth.

50 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

He was mixed. Suffered more from Walter at times being tactically all over the shop.

At international level, Gough was very good.

36 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Came to post this. Arguably klos over goram imo

Klos was ballpark with Goram at shot stopping. Still think Goram was better though.

Goram was much better at cross balls and with his feet.

Don't think I've ever seen a goalie struggle with the ball at his feet the way Klos did. 

1 hour ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Agreed. But his absences during the 97/98 season was a result of his personal life. And he made 2 or 3 howlers in that season as well. Most notably 2 in the one game away at Dundee United that we lost. Anyways. Amazing keeper regardless but McGregor just gets my vote after this season. 

Also has to be remembered he could barely train in his last season due to the state his knees were in at that point, it was said that he could barely stand they were so painful, hardly surprising that his form dipped, still it says a lot for him though that he was still first choice keeper.

Andy Goram and Shagger have made many outstanding saves for Rangers, so many that we could debate the saves for weeks, probably months. Some will go for one, some for the other, that is how very good they were and how lucky we were to have two of best.

The old guard will say Goram. The younger fans will say McGregor. The old guard have the benefit of witnessing both players. But the old guard are also a bunch of mwi bastards who cannae be trusted.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah, Juve (although Thomson was worse at home). Strasbourg at home - poor for both goals. Sparta at home. Probably should have done better with Gothenburg's second but that's probably a bit harsh. 

Not an exclusive thing though. Ally Maxwell was laughable v Levski. I'm sure Snelders had a shocker against Strasbourg away? Gough was very poor in a lot of our European games. 

One game he was excellent in when we got pumped was v Grasshopper away. Could have been 5-6.

Edit: Forgot this - his worst performance tbh.

He saved us a pumping of Athens - factoring in 92/93 Goram punched well above weight in Europe, if judged on that platform he was excellent 

3 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

Goram came up against better players than what Shagger has (in Scotland).

See when posters are saying Goram was good with his feet they meaning saving the ball with his feet or actually with the ball like control , passing etc ? 

The latter. I'd count saving with feet as part of shot stopping, which he was brilliant at obv.

We have a tradition of finding top class keepers and it's something we must make sure do when shagger hangs his gloves up. It's brilliant having folk that can score but having a keeper that you just know you can trust to keep you in games is equally vital and it needs to be mad cunt as well 😂

9 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

I'm a fan of Goram but fuck it I'll say it. His save against Van Hooijdonk is vastly overrated. Not even close to McGregor's save from the Thumb in January.

Mate a played in goals. That save is fucking incredible :lol:

Archived