Goram

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

Klos was ballpark with Goram at shot stopping. Still think Goram was better though.

Goram was much better at cross balls and with his feet.

Don't think I've ever seen a goalie struggle with the ball at his feet the way Klos did. 

Have to agree with this, Klos was terrible with the ball at his feet. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

At one point Goram was seriously regarded by many as the best keeper on the planet. As good as McGregor is, he's never been at that level.

That's saying something considering the talent that was around at the time he was playing.

Schmeichel, Khan, I think Barthez was as well. 

13 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

I'm a fan of Goram but fuck it I'll say it. His save against Van Hooijdonk is vastly overrated. Not even close to McGregor's save from the Thumb in January.

I don't want to do mcgregor a disservice as I think he's been a great servant for the club and pulled off some unbelievable saves but you're statement is laughable. A point blank save on the volley is a much better save than a curling shot from the edge of the box. Had you mentioned mcgregors save in Europe I'd agree that was a better save but not the 1 you mentioned. 

Goram was class and done it on horrible pitches with a higher standard of player. He tormented the fenians for years and is imo the best keeper we've had without question. Woods and mcgregor are also quality keepers with klos close behind but the goalie will always be my choice out of them. 

26 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Is it not the case that if it wasn't for the 3 foreigner rule we would've kept Woods and never signed Goram? 

I think that was a major factor but it was also Walter Smith's first full season in charge with his own ideas , so could be a bit of both .

Goram was best keeper we have ever had, would suggest for 3 years he was easily best in the world.

But still think Greegs save v that scumbag sceaming cheating mob was best save iv ever seen.

I actually think the Goalies save somehow onto the post from Cantona was better than save from big take it up the rear.

Best saves I have ever seen 

1. McGregor against Slavia Prague

2. McGregor against Werder Bremen 

3. Goram against the Scum. 

Goram was our iconic goalkeeper during possibly the most successful period in the clubs history. McGregor spent his prime years elsewhere while we worked our way up from our clubs darkest period.  

who is/was the best goalkeeper? I think shagger just about shades it now. But it’s so hard to split them.

McGregor isn’t done yet and I think that may prove crucial. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Is it not the case that if it wasn't for the 3 foreigner rule we would've kept Woods and never signed Goram? 

I’ve seen this stated a lot, but it’s either bullshit or Campbell Ogilvie didn’t know the rules properly at the time.

Even under the three foreigner rule, up to two players who had been playing in a country for more than five seasons didn’t count. You could field up to five foreigners, provided two were ‘assimilated’. 

Woods wouldn’t have counted as a foreign player, as he had just completed five seasons in Scotland.

When Goram was playing for us at his peak he was the best in the U.K. we kept him because at that stage we paid as good wages as anyone in the UK. Goram was that good that if had of been around 10 years later we could not have afforded to keep him as he would have been lured away to one of the top 6. McGregor has never reached the heights of Goram at his peak however he has lasted longer at a first class level meaning overall you can’t really separate them.

in summary at their peak Goram was better but McGregor was the better keeper over a prolonged period 

2 hours ago, AlCapone said:

When Goram was playing for us at his peak he was the best in the U.K. we kept him because at that stage we paid as good wages as anyone in the UK. Goram was that good that if had of been around 10 years later we could not have afforded to keep him as he would have been lured away to one of the top 6. McGregor has never reached the heights of Goram at his peak however he has lasted longer at a first class level meaning overall you can’t really separate them.

in summary at their peak Goram was better but McGregor was the better keeper over a prolonged period 

Not sure he was quite there to be honest. Had Schmeichel and Seaman playing for England’s best two at the time. As great as peak Goram was I don’t think he’s better than Schmeichel. 

26 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Not sure he was quite there to be honest. Had Schmeichel and Seaman playing for England’s best two at the time. As great as peak Goram was I don’t think he’s better than Schmeichel. 

He was better than Seaman. Definitely. A bit short of Schmeichel for me, but he was one of the few ahead of him. It certainly wasn't out there to mention Goram in Schmeichel's company, though.

Archived