Champions 1999-2000 - Our least talked about title win?

EMRFC

34 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

This isnt quite Champions Den content so ill post it here.

Why is there hardly any pics of trophy lift day from our 1999-2000 title win? Also hardly anyone ever talks about this season.

I talk about it all the time.  Infact when me and my mates are all mwi, we tend to watch 4-0, 4-2 tarrier games and PSV games, 1-0 wee rod 88 minute winner aswell at the piggery 

39 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

How is it not Champions Den content :confused:

Just a bit shit of a thread aint it? When you boil it down im just asking if anyone has any pics from 99/00 trophy day.

I quite often say this but that Advocaat period was probably the high water mark of the modern club.

The stadium was one of the best in Europe.

We had loads of internationals, Champions League winners, and a World Cup winner in the squad. Some of the football we played was fantastic and we were regularly playing in Europe against top sides.

Our Nike merch range was probably the best we have ever had and our Rangers collection merch was extensive and of very high quality. You could buy our strips in most Nike stores around the world. We had club shops all over Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Add in Murray Park opening a bit later too which at the time was one of the best facilities in Europe.

Obviously in hindsight Murray had built all of this on debt and other peoples money.

12 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I quite often say this but that Advocaat period was probably the high water mark of the modern club.

The stadium was one of the best in Europe.

We had loads of internationals, Champions League winners, and a World Cup winner in the squad. Some of the football we played was fantastic and we were regularly playing in Europe against top sides.

Our Nike merch range was probably the best we have ever had and our Rangers collection merch was extensive and of very high quality.

Add in Murray Park opening a bit later too which at the time was one of the best facilities in Europe.

Obviously in hindsight Murray had built all of this on debt and other peoples money.

Was an incredible season back then. Did we not win the league by 18pts or something ridiculous like that? Think we might have scored nearly 100 goals too??

I remember back then that what ever the score was at half time, we generally scored the same amount of goals in the second half. 

The away top was pretty good looking if I remember correctly too...

Who was the world cup winner? Been trying to think and can't seem to remember who it would have been. 

Just going purely by memory, but was our first XI not something like - Klos Reyna Moore Amo Numan Kanchelskis Ferguson Van Bronkhorst McCann Wallace Mols/Dodds/Johansson/Amato ?

11 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Was an incredible season back then. Did we not win the league by 18pts or something ridiculous like that? Think we might have scored nearly 100 goals too??

I remember back then that what ever the score was at half time, we generally scored the same amount of goals in the second half. 

The away top was pretty good looking if I remember correctly too...

Who was the world cup winner? Been trying to think and can't seem to remember who it would have been. 

Just going purely by memory, but was our first XI not something like - Klos Reyna Moore Amo Numan Kanchelskis Ferguson Van Bronkhorst McCann Wallace Mols/Dodds/Johansson/Amato ?

Away top was gorgeous. I stupidly sold mine a couple of seasons back (tags still on it) and haven’t been able to find one in good enough quality since to replace it.

Charbonnier was the World Cup winner. Had Guivarch the season before too.

Klos, Porrini, Amoruso, Moore, Vidmar, Reyna, Ferguson, Gio, McCann/Albertz, Mols, Wallace was the team in the early part of the season.

Klos was out injured in the autumn and early winter so Niemi, Mhyre and Charbonnier all had spells in goals. Numan eventually came into the team after injury and we bought Tugay as well part way through the season.

I remember Seb Rozenthal played a couple of games in the Spring. And yeah we bought Dodds, but still had Johansson and Amato too I think.

Maybe the league title discussion around that season is less talked about for a few reasons. I'd say apart from 2007/08 it was our most exciting European campaign even though it ended prematurely. We constantly faced big teams like Parma, Bayern, Valencia, PSV and ,correct me if I'm wrong, Dortmund in the UEFA Cup.

Add to the European campaign the oranje cup final was a huge moment that season with Hampden decked out in Orange. For me it was a special day as a kid and I remember that more than anything else the league gave us maybe outwith the win at parkhead and the 4-0 battering at Ibrox of them. I'd still consider the cup final higher weirdly enough.

Though similar to this season in regard to the records up to a certain point and how early we had "won" it and actually won it. I think there is a different mentality around it. In 2000 we'd won our 11/12th title and though it was important there were other more interesting things to look back at that season whereas today 55 was the be all and end all!

Also the season before we won it at parkhead in the middle of a timplosion. Though our consistency was outstanding in 99/2000 it would never give us that same high we got the season before.

19 hours ago, EMRFC said:

Why is there hardly any pics of trophy lift day from our 1999-2000 title win? Also hardly anyone ever talks about this season.

It was a great season for the club, but ultimately it also marked the end of an era as 6 months afterwards we’d completely collapsed domestically and in Europe. 

On 10/04/2021 at 14:00, EMRFC said:

Probably cause we won in a canter and should have won the SCF final by about 8-0 against the sheep but only managed 4-0 .
The most memorable titles are the ones won with drama and last day helicopter Sunday wins 

We have 4 of those 

The scum have nil .In the last 20 odd years 

On 10/04/2021 at 18:20, McEwan's Lager said:

Away top was gorgeous. I stupidly sold mine a couple of seasons back (tags still on it) and haven’t been able to find one in good enough quality since to replace it.

Charbonnier was the World Cup winner. Had Guivarch the season before too.

Klos, Porrini, Amoruso, Moore, Vidmar, Reyna, Ferguson, Gio, McCann/Albertz, Mols, Wallace was the team in the early part of the season.

Klos was out injured in the autumn and early winter so Niemi, Mhyre and Charbonnier all had spells in goals. Numan eventually came into the team after injury and we bought Tugay as well part way through the season.

I remember Seb Rozenthal played a couple of games in the Spring. And yeah we bought Dodds, but still had Johansson and Amato too I think.

That was some fucking team we had back then. Could genuinely go toe to toe with Europe's best. 

Mad how some people think this team is better. Was fortunate enough to witness that side, and John Barnes at the scum was just fucking hilarious. 

Raging I missed Charbonnier, loved watching him in goals, guy was a nutter 🤣🤣 

Didn't know he was part of the French Squad that won the World Cup, I just remember Barthez. Did Charbonnier play any part in the actual tournament? And do you know if he went with the squad that won Euro 2000? Cheers mate👍

That era was the best player for player Rangers sides of my lifetime.

Different era though and the game has changed so much in terms of money and player distribution. 

You just look at the likes of Porrini, a guy who was arguably one of the lesser players in that team. Just look at his record as a player before signing for us - and a time when Serie A was the best league in Europe. 

29 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

@McEwan's Lager 

Why did it go so wrong in season 2000/1? We spent £30m that window bringing in the likes of De Boer, Konterman and Flo but didn’t win anything.

I was still pretty young, and had to watch all of it on TV, but...

Advocaat signing too many Dutch players, and in the process changing the dynamic of the dressing room was a major reason I think. As was his continued decline in relationship with Albertz and Amoruso. 

Konterman and Ricksen were really poor replacements for Moore and Porrini. They were both dreadful, and it unsettled the backline, caused Amoruso to become more error prone, and caused teams to be more positive against us. I think the squad was also way too big and Advocaat didn't really know what his best XI was.,

Gio was a massive player for us but he got injured and also didn't want to be here, he basically said he would be away at the end of the season in the November.

The autumn killed us. We ended up going unbeaten over most of the winter but losing three games in a row in the first half of a season will always kill you off.

4-4-2 was a poor match up against Celtic's 3-5-2. We never got a proper handle on them until Eck decided to play 3 up front against them in 2002. Find it strange that for all of Advocaat's supposed tactical awareness he never worked that out.

Archived