Champions 1999-2000 - Our least talked about title win?

EMRFC

15 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

It was all Konterman's fault.

He was laughably bad.

Then it turned out he didn't like playing on a Sunday and it all made sense.

I remember clear as day the game v St Johnstone on the opening day of the season, we were so poor and barely scraped past them and I remember having a feeling that this year may be different. I actually think I've still got that on VHS somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

That was some fucking team we had back then. Could genuinely go toe to toe with Europe's best. 

Mad how some people think this team is better. Was fortunate enough to witness that side, and John Barnes at the scum was just fucking hilarious. 

Raging I missed Charbonnier, loved watching him in goals, guy was a nutter 🤣🤣 

Didn't know he was part of the French Squad that won the World Cup, I just remember Barthez. Did Charbonnier play any part in the actual tournament? And do you know if he went with the squad that won Euro 2000? Cheers mate👍

No Charbonnier didn't play but still has a medal. An no he definitely didn't go to the Euros. He was injured and I don't think he ever got a France call up while with us.

6 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

When I first started going to Ibrox Eck played Konterman as a defensive midfielder.

He was quite good there I thought. 

1999/00 was the season I first went to games but 2000-01 was probably the first season where I saw most of the games via TV so its seared into my memory. Random players like Fabrice Fernandes, Jani Kauppila, Marcus Gayle and Marco Negri even getting a cameo.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I was still pretty young, and had to watch all of it on TV, but...

Advocaat signing too many Dutch players, and in the process changing the dynamic of the dressing room was a major reason I think. As was his continued decline in relationship with Albertz and Amoruso. 

Konterman and Ricksen were really poor replacements for Moore and Porrini. They were both dreadful, and it unsettled the backline, caused Amoruso to become more error prone, and caused teams to be more positive against us. I think the squad was also way too big and Advocaat didn't really know what his best XI was.,

Gio was a massive player for us but he got injured and also didn't want to be here, he basically said he would be away at the end of the season in the November.

The autumn killed us. We ended up going unbeaten over most of the winter but losing three games in a row in the first half of a season will always kill you off.

4-4-2 was a poor match up against Celtic's 3-5-2. We never got a proper handle on them until Eck decided to play 3 up front against them in 2002. Find it strange that for all of Advocaat's supposed tactical awareness he never worked that out.

And unfortunately O’Neill turned them around quickly and as you say, it wasn’t until McLeish came in that we started to get joy against them (aside from the 5-1).

Recruitment was a disaster as well apart from De Boer, Ricksen and Lovenkrands. And Ricksen and Lovenkrands took a while to get going. We all expected more from Flo as well despite a not bad scoring record.

20 minutes ago, the goal machine said:

And unfortunately O’Neill turned them around quickly and as you say, it wasn’t until McLeish came in that we started to get joy against them (aside from the 5-1).

Recruitment was a disaster as well apart from De Boer, Ricksen and Lovenkrands. And Ricksen and Lovenkrands took a while to get going. We all expected more from Flo as well despite a not bad scoring record.

Flo was a good striker, his fee was just ridiculous. The only time he wasn't that great for us was just before he left at the beginning of the 02/03 season.

His strike rate was really good. 35 goals in 68 games. It's around the same rate as Alfie for us.

Ricksen took more than a while to get going tbh. He had a good season in 02/03 and a brilliant, completely unplayable one, in 04/05. The rest of the time he was a bit of a liability both on and off the park.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Flo was a good striker, his fee was just ridiculous. The only time he wasn't that great for us was just before he left at the beginning of the 02/03 season.

His strike rate was really good. 35 goals in 68 games. It's around the same rate as Alfie for us.

Ricksen took more than a while to get going tbh. He had a good season in 02/03 and a brilliant, completely unplayable one, in 04/05. The rest of the time he was a bit of a liability both on and off the park.

He tended to do it against the league dross and not in the big games. Looked through his record there, one against Celtic and a few in Europe but apart from that, pretty underwhelming. Was so excited as well when we got him.

5 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He was laughably bad.

Then it turned out he didn't like playing on a Sunday and it all made sense.

I remember clear as day the game v St Johnstone on the opening day of the season, we were so poor and barely scraped past them and I remember having a feeling that this year may be different. I actually think I've still got that on VHS somewhere. 

My only real memories of him are the 2 goals at Hampden and we played Hibs at Easter Road on a Sunday night and either him or Ricksen got man of the match and I was in shock at that.

Archived