Breakaway European Super League

2 minutes ago, chrism_scotland said:

Well unless they get kicked out why would they not play in their domestic league?

I dont see an issue then tbh. Just sounds like an updated version of the Champions League without all the diddy teams in it. If they can still play domestic football on a weekend then what's the big hooha

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Making a 400m loss should result in penalties not an invite to a lucrative new league. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, chrism_scotland said:

UEFA can't stop a team playing in a domestic league though, they would need the FA/EPL (or Italian, Spanish equivalent) to get on board to kick them out surely?

Don't know mate, but from what I've read they seem quite confident they can.

Also talk about UEFA and FIFA banning the participating clubs' players from international tournaments.

1 minute ago, chrism_scotland said:

UEFA can't stop a team playing in a domestic league though, they would need the FA/EPL (or Italian, Spanish equivalent) to get on board to kick them out surely?

Pretty sure they can.

They can ban the league from having any place in their European tournaments anyway.

Only way round it would be if this new super league puts on an alternative to the Europa etc. Basically taking away the role of Uefa all together.

1 minute ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Don't know mate, but from what I've read they seem quite confident they can.

Also talk about FIFA banning the participating clubs' players from international tournaments.

Just had a read, I think they may indeed, it seems the English FA need to approve any competition a team plays in, I assume they could give the 6 clubs a League or Super League ultimatum 

theblueoysterbar likes this

Remember all the managers of big clubs moaning about fixture congestion and how long the season is in its current format.

Now they are all signing up to a new competition that will take anywhere between 24-26 games to win. At the moment if you enter at the group stage (which most of the big clubs do) then the Champions League takes 13 games to win in its current format.

Potentially adding a further 11 games to what is already a crammed season.

Shambles :lol:

tm91 and simplythebest like this
13 minutes ago, Madina said:

I dont see an issue then tbh. Just sounds like an updated version of the Champions League without all the diddy teams in it. If they can still play domestic football on a weekend then what's the big hooha

The domestic associations will most likely kick these clubs out if it goes ahead, they simply can't be seen to accommodate something like this that leaves so many others behind 

JCDBigBear likes this
49 minutes ago, CR3 said:

€3.5 billion each they get to join. Ooooft, money talks.

Must be Amazon. Where is the link to where you are getting this info?

36 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

You honestly think we have television pull globally? Barring expats in the Anglo-sphere no one wants to watch us.

Which is obviously why you could watch the game today legally in multiple countries.....

35 minutes ago, shaka said:

If any German club would join, I would predict it's RB Leipzig.  A fake club that only exists to promote a drinks company. 

Have friends in Germany who support either Karlsruhe or Bayern and they hate Leipzig collectively with a passion. Have been to a few Bayern games but always wanted to see 1860 but each time I visit the de facto sister in law they are playing away or it doesn't fit in.

They're positioning this as a midweek competition while knowing full well how impossible it would be to pull off alongside a domestic season. Not only would the fixture congestion be ridiculous, Fifa and UEFA couldn't accept it and the financial disparities would make a mockery of the domestic leagues, so the other teams in their leagues can't accept this either as they'd be hopelessly outmatched and wouldn't be able to compete.

If this happens, its not (just) replacing the Champions League, its replacing domestic league campaigns for these clubs.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Super league yet Arsenal and Spurs in it.

LOL

Unfortunately in the modern game, winning things isn't actually a requirement to be considered the best or the biggest. It's all about the brand and how it can be sold.

Football is dead.

There is no sporting integrity in this proposal if 15 of the teams are guaranteed a place.  Surprised that Lawwell (yes him of sporting integrity fame) was apparently involved in this as his wee club will be excluded.

This super league would be a disaster for football.  I can see it having a dramatic effect on attendances and interest in national leagues across Europe.  Competition will be further eroded due to the increased income the 15 will get.   UEFA should threaten to exclude them from next season's Champions League.

simplythebest likes this

Seen it pointed out money and greed isn't a new thing in football, it obviously isn't even going back to before Sky involvement etc but this is crossing a massive line 

UEFA, FIFA, domestic associations need to have a spine in their responses to this or we may as well waive goodbye to football as we know it 

JCDBigBear likes this
Just now, JCDBigBear said:

There is no sporting integrity in this proposal if 15 of the teams are guaranteed a place.  Surprised that Lawwell (yes him of sporting integrity fame) was apparently involved in this as his wee club will be excluded.

This super league would be a disaster for football.  I can see it having a dramatic effect on attendances and interest in national leagues across Europe.  Competition will be further eroded due to the increased income the 15 will get.   UEFA should threaten to exclude them from next season's Champions League.

There's speculation UEFA are suspending this seasons Champions League in response 

JCDBigBear likes this
3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Technically yes, but all fan member shares are held by employees of the company. They do this to get around the requirement.

Hence why Germans hate this. I know before you point it out that the Bundesliga has an obvious one team at the moment but the ownership rules are something that would unite a Bayern fan with a fan of a minor team. Over the twelve years I have known my other half I have had many conversations about this with mates in Germany.

JCDBigBear likes this
3 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

UEFA should threaten to exclude them from next season's Champions League.

Not really sure that's a punishment.. ultimately these clubs are trying to get away from the champions League.

2 minutes ago, badjon said:

Which is obviously why you could watch the game today legally in multiple countries.....

You could watch the game legally in every country in the world through RTV. Which is exactly my point. We are barely registrable that even overseas companies that hold rights to Scottish football like BeIn don't even bother enforcing geographic exclusivity.

Iakona likes this