Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

3 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

I did state earlier mate, it’s all about money. 🤷‍♂️ 

If you're any big name player, presumably your contract has all sorts of lovely conditions about being in that specific league, or potential CL targets. Football contract lawyers just hit payday heaven if this isn't a bluff, and the players get record wages or new clubs.

5 minutes ago, CR3 said:

EA092989-9A02-4DB4-9185-135985622157.jpeg

Out of those 12 clubs, I'd claim that Spurs and Atletico Madrid aren't "great" clubs with any great TV appeal.  I also believe that Arsenal, and the two Milan clubs no longer have the viewer draw which they once had.   Even Man City are just "Johnny come-latelys" propelled upwards due to a rich recent owner.  I hope it falls flat on its face as it could be devastating for football in general particularly with the pandemic.  It will be difficult enough to get fans back inside grounds without this nonsense.

1 minute ago, frenv said:

If you're any big name player, presumably your contract has all sorts of lovely conditions about being in that specific league, or potential CL targets. Football contract lawyers just hit payday heaven if this isn't a bluff, and the players get record wages or new clubs.

Correct mate. Contracts will be paid off. 

The more I think about this, the more I think the leagues (epl etc) will cave.

I can see this going ahead and the fuckers keeping their place in the EPL and just ducking out of European competitions.

I hope to fuck not, but I cant see the leagues contemplating letting these clubs just walk away.

I think enough pressure will be put on Uefa to get them to sanction it, as long as they get a big enough kick back.

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Out of those 12 clubs, I'd claim that Spurs and Atletico Madrid aren't "great" clubs with any great TV appeal.  I also believe that Arsenal, and the two Milan clubs no longer have the viewer draw which they once had.   Even Man City are just "Johnny come-latelys" propelled upwards due to a rich recent owner.  I hope it falls flat on its face as it could be devastating for football in general particularly with the pandemic.  It will be difficult enough to get fans back inside grounds without this nonsense.

Inter don't have draw? Behave.

It's funny how many English football fans are now outraged.. yet they stood by and even welcomed foreign investment whilst the likes of UEFA having been doing their bit over the last 20 years to make the champions League a closed shop.

The game of football has been imploding for a long time now.. but it didn't matter because the big leagues were benefiting. Countless domestic leagues and big teams around europe have crumbled... But now that the big leagues are at risk it's all of a sudden a crisis.

Regardless I'd still hate to see this European league come to fruition.. it's just the final nail in the coffin of modern day football. Either way clubs like Rangers lose.

23 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Not really sure that's a punishment.. ultimately these clubs are trying to get away from the champions League.

They haven't got anything set up yet.  Sometimes an idea exceeds expectations and things come crashing down.  This has all the same big-headed, pig-headed feel to it that banks had before the crash in 2008.   Where is the funding coming from to set it up and what polling of the TV fans have they done?  Ultimately it will be the armchair fans funding this by TV subscription.

How the fuck is this 5 qualifying teams and 15 permanent members thing meant to work?

Say the 5 qualifying teams actually finished in the top 5 positions in the league (unlikely but theoretically could happen), could the winner of the Super League then be relegated out of the super league as the permanent members cannot be relegated?

Absolute nonsense.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

How the fuck is this 5 qualifying teams and 15 permanent members thing meant to work?

Say the 5 qualifying teams actually finished in the top 5 positions in the league (unlikely but theoretically could happen), could the winner of the Super League then be relegated out of the super league as the permanent members cannot be relegated?

Absolute nonsense.

We don’t have enough details mate. One thing for sure is the next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting. 

Just now, Hadron Collider said:

We don’t have enough details mate. One thing for sure is the next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting. 

The problem is that the big clubs will get what they want.

The EPL will stop at nothing to keep hold of those clubs. The Spanish leagues will not let go of Real, Barca and Athletico.

The big clubs will get the competition they want, they will still play in their own leagues and everyone else will just have to put up with it.

They should be all told to get to fuck, but it wont happen.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The problem is that the big clubs will get what they want.

The EPL will stop at nothing to keep hold of those clubs. The Spanish leagues will not let go of Real, Barca and Athletico.

The big clubs will get the competition they want, they will still play in their own leagues and everyone else will just have to put up with it.

They should be all told to get to fuck, but it wont happen.

💰 💰 💰 💰 💰 and more 💰