Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

15 regular teams in a 20 team league with 5 to get invited every year, based on their results. Who is going to watch them play vs each other over and over again? It would be the same mess that Italians are doing with their parody Qatar cup finals. Souless stands, 10-15k people in shitty stadiums and so on. 

Ive lost passion for CL a long time ago, but at least now we have the Europa League that is interesting. I pray that those 12 clubs get kicked out of their leagues. 6 PL clubs want to move on - sure, let them do it NOW. There are at least another 60 who would kill for the chance to play in the PL. 

Oh, and La Liga will finally become interesting. 

5 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Dont think so. A lot of people barely  bother watching the champions league anymore cos of it being the same old teams every year, this guarantees even more of the same in spades. It will be boring and fairly pointless with no relegation or unpredictability.

Outside of Scotland, a lot of fans worldwide still love and watch the CL. The Americans and Chinese lap it up. They will love this new competition.

I can't remember the last time i watched a CL game though i agree. Has gone stale

9 minutes ago, demise said:

15 regular teams in a 20 team league with 5 to get invited every year, based on their results. Who is going to watch them play vs each other over and over again? It would be the same mess that Italians are doing with their parody Qatar cup finals. Souless stands, 10-15k people in shitty stadiums and so on. 

Ive lost passion for CL a long time ago, but at least now we have the Europa League that is interesting. I pray that those 12 clubs get kicked out of their leagues. 6 PL clubs want to move on - sure, let them do it NOW. There are at least another 60 who would kill for the chance to play in the PL. 

Oh, and La Liga will finally become interesting. 

The lustre of playing Barcelona, Inter and Real Madrid will soon wear off after they've played for the 12th time in a few years; there's just no real rivalry there; nothing like the local derbies and grudges, etc that have built up over the years.

We hate celtic but no-one can deny that if say they joined the ESL (Laughable) the SPL wouldn't be the same for us without that Old Firm needle and rivalry.

I usually watch the CL and Europa League; our runs over the last couple of years have made me enjoy the EL more though; looking forward to us hopefully getting through into the Group CL next year though!

1 hour ago, Raligt said:

Gary Neville is spot on by the way

Agree. I think the passion of his opposition to it spoke for many football people. To hear people like him, Ferdinand and even Roy Keane openly slate their own club is eye opening. 

Greedy bastards. Shouldn’t happen. Don’t think it will though cause UEFA + FIFA will throw the book at these clubs. They can form their league but UEFA/FIFA will just tell them they can’t play in any other league/competition. Bye bye to Champions League and playing for your country.

also fuck us and them going to the EPL. we’re not English teams.

13 minutes ago, Raligt said:

Outside of Scotland, a lot of fans worldwide still love and watch the CL. The Americans and Chinese lap it up. They will love this new competition.

I can't remember the last time i watched a CL game though i agree. Has gone stale

That’s half the problem. Money from China etc dictating the future of clubs thousands of miles away from there without any comprehension or care for the history of those clubs and areas. Factories, pit towns etc. 

5 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

I used to love CL night. Would watch as many games as I could. But I couldn’t tell you the last time I watched one. Same teams playing each other all the time and it’s all too predictable. 
Bring back the proper CL where only league winners get through. 

When i was like 12-13 years old i would watch the CL game on tv and then it would be an hour and a half until highlights from all other CL games are shown. At least in my country ot took that long. So i would take an hour nap and set the alarm to wake me up, so i can watch the highlights and discuss with my classmates the next day. You happily fall alseep at 2 am and then wake up at 5 so you can catch the bus at 6 and go to school, basically going through the day half awake. But it was Champions league night and it was fuckin worth it. Gooddamn, how times have changed... 

18 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

JP Morgan confirming their financing the whole the thing. 

I think this is a bit more than these teams looking for more power in Uefa, this is actually happening 

JP Morgan can put up all the finance they want, but it still has to be funded somehow. It’s an astronomical amount of money to recoup.

9 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

I used to love CL night. Would watch as many games as I could. But I couldn’t tell you the last time I watched one. Same teams playing each other all the time and it’s all too predictable. 
Bring back the proper CL where only league winners get through. 

Sure the Champions league has some good football and players on show but uefa have increasingly made it a cabal. If ONLY the champions of all the leagues were in it then it would have far more interest and credibility as a cup tournament. There would be more shocks, more money would flow into smaller leagues. It would make the challenge of finishing first in the EPL and the associated competition far better if only the champions qualified. It’s become far too much about protecting certain clubs at the expense of fairness and competition. This proposal just takes that another level. I really hope there is not only a massive backlash against these clubs, but also against UEFA etc for the direction they have taken the champions league. Real football should be like Chanpionship Manager. Any club, with luck, resource and good management should have a chance to reach the top. Stop that and you destroy the joy of football. 

I would doubt Americans will give much of a shit TBF, I highly doubt football will ever fully take a great share of that market. I just looked up the viewing figures for the CL in America , last year the Final was viewed by 2.5 million, the highest in America for 5 years, that is a shocking % share of their population. Most of their population is far too invested in their own sport to give much of a shit about watches teams from another country 

Sure locations like Asia have a large interest in football but I don't see it as sustainable in a super league, a lot of people outwith the UK, Spain etc only like sides because they win.

i.e Man U have fans because they historically won, Liverpool, Madrid, Barca etc - if these teams stop winning..... highly doubt their global popularity will be that great long term and it likely ends up with 2 utterly massive clubs while the rest shrink globally. 

In terms of the UK.  A part of me watches the CL knowing the team I support is part of the dream, watched PSG v Bayern but a decent % of me watches in with the idea of seeing those players at Ibrox, a lot of emotional investment will go from me if it is a competition Rangers have no chance of ever being in. 

23 minutes ago, Raligt said:

These clubs are at the point where they don’t even need a local fan base. Stadiums can be filled with corporate and tourists. Money generated by tv audiences thousands of miles away 

This can only be stopped if the clubs are banned from their domestic leagues. But they have doubtless had their lawyers over all this and think that can be won in the courts.

These clubs are combined billions in debt, their greed, desperation and coronavirus has pushed them into this.