Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

2 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If fans of these clubs feel as strongly about it as the general consensus seems to be then it's up to them to refuse to engage with it. Can't have a breakaway league without supporters.

The lifelong supporters of these clubs feel very strongly, but these clubs know that they will put new bums on seats all paying whatever they are asked.   Touts make hundreds of pounds every week (in a normal season) selling tickets to those that have travelled from far and wide so there will be no problem filling grounds.  

12 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If it wasn't for Rangers I'd stop watching football altogether. 

This is a good point and one I feel as well. Used to love watching the English games and a la liga double header on a Sunday night but the last couple of years if it's not Rangers then I'm not interested.

10 hours ago, The Godfather said:

The way it is now would, it would become a meaningless round Robin of games where egos are massaged and money is shared between a dozen clubs. 

It's not even close to being football

Driven by greedy fucking yanks. Would end up like their franchised sports system where the Brooklyn Dodgers can become the LA Dodgers at the whim of a rich cunt and fuck the fans left 3000 miles away

5 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

“Legacy Fans”. It’s fucking disgusting. 

Boak. 

I hope we never ever become a club hostage to TV money or how many shirts are sold in Asia a season, we need to always, always be a club who predominantly relies on match day revenue and ticket sales, it is one of the few ways fans can keep an element of control over the club. 

You only have to look at Newcastle and their Ashley situation as an example of how difficult it is to drive change when you generate so much TV revenue that it renders ticket sales close to redundant 

5 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Jesus fucking wept legacy fans. How to spit in the face of all those people who grafted there arse off and made these clubs what they are. 

"Legacy" is a very American corporate terminology - so we can see where this has come from. NFL style model wanting to globalise elite super star teams into something else... 

14 hours ago, GA1972 said:

The governing bodies UEFA, Premier League, FA, Serie A etc should tell them they can go form their league but they won’t be playing in their domestic leagues or the Champions League 

If they want to go form their NBA style closed shop then it should be treated as the side show circus it is. When it all goes tits up and no one cares anymore they should have to start domestically from the bottom 

given football governance is corrupt as fuck i cant see that happening. 

1 minute ago, Shuggy said:

How does this affect Rangers? If big money leaves UEFA to follow this new league, I can see us getting less than half what we earned from valuable European runs.

Aye it looks like it’ll shaft the UEFA competitions. 

1 minute ago, Shuggy said:

How does this affect Rangers? If big money leaves UEFA to follow this new league, I can see us getting less than half what we earned from valuable European runs.

the biggest thing that will come form this is a shift from your core base of fans who go to games to it being a televised event. They want spectacle and an americanised version of support.

look forward to a superbowl esque half time at every game.......

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

the biggest thing that will come form this is a shift from your core base of fans who go to games to it being a televised event. They want spectacle and an americanised version of support.

This is exactly it... 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Gives you the boak just thinking about it, wankers firing T-shirt’s into the stands and bands jumping about the park.

Give me a pie and bovril any day of the week over that shite.

1 minute ago, Bigdave30 said:

Gives you the boak just thinking about it, wankers firing T-shirt’s into the stands and bands jumping about the park.

Give me a pie and bovril any day of the week over that shite.

50,000 empty vessels just there for the family day out and to say 'I was there' rather than actual fans. 

3 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Aye it looks like it’ll shaft the UEFA competitions. 

This is why UEFA and FIFA also have to look at themselves. This is what can happen with bad leadership and loss of control. Their weakness and facilitation of player and club power (in terms of being favourable to clubs with large incomes) at the expense of integrity is partly to blame for this. Some Clubs have known that they can breach financial fair play rules and UEFA will pay lip service to it. Real Madrid etc spending 100 million on players when they are hundreds of millions in the red. There was the bribery scandal at the top of FIFA and UEFA too. This is what happens when checks and balances break down and players and clubs believe they can act with impunity towards rules and traditions of the game. This is a reaction to that. All these clubs need to take their medicine.