Breakaway European Super League

18 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

JP Morgan confirming their financing the whole the thing. 

I think this is a bit more than these teams looking for more power in Uefa, this is actually happening 

JP Morgan can put up all the finance they want, but it still has to be funded somehow. It’s an astronomical amount of money to recoup.

Bluekev likes this
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Making a 400m loss should result in penalties not an invite to a lucrative new league. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

I used to love CL night. Would watch as many games as I could. But I couldn’t tell you the last time I watched one. Same teams playing each other all the time and it’s all too predictable. 
Bring back the proper CL where only league winners get through. 

Sure the Champions league has some good football and players on show but uefa have increasingly made it a cabal. If ONLY the champions of all the leagues were in it then it would have far more interest and credibility as a cup tournament. There would be more shocks, more money would flow into smaller leagues. It would make the challenge of finishing first in the EPL and the associated competition far better if only the champions qualified. It’s become far too much about protecting certain clubs at the expense of fairness and competition. This proposal just takes that another level. I really hope there is not only a massive backlash against these clubs, but also against UEFA etc for the direction they have taken the champions league. Real football should be like Chanpionship Manager. Any club, with luck, resource and good management should have a chance to reach the top. Stop that and you destroy the joy of football. 

AdzKyle and demise like this

I would doubt Americans will give much of a shit TBF, I highly doubt football will ever fully take a great share of that market. I just looked up the viewing figures for the CL in America , last year the Final was viewed by 2.5 million, the highest in America for 5 years, that is a shocking % share of their population. Most of their population is far too invested in their own sport to give much of a shit about watches teams from another country 

Sure locations like Asia have a large interest in football but I don't see it as sustainable in a super league, a lot of people outwith the UK, Spain etc only like sides because they win.

i.e Man U have fans because they historically won, Liverpool, Madrid, Barca etc - if these teams stop winning..... highly doubt their global popularity will be that great long term and it likely ends up with 2 utterly massive clubs while the rest shrink globally. 

In terms of the UK.  A part of me watches the CL knowing the team I support is part of the dream, watched PSG v Bayern but a decent % of me watches in with the idea of seeing those players at Ibrox, a lot of emotional investment will go from me if it is a competition Rangers have no chance of ever being in. 

demise likes this
23 minutes ago, Raligt said:

Outside of Scotland, a lot of fans worldwide still love and watch the CL. The Americans and Chinese lap it up. They will love this new competition.

I can't remember the last time i watched a CL game though i agree. Has gone stale

These clubs are at the point where they don’t even need a local fan base. Stadiums can be filled with corporate and tourists. Money generated by tv audiences thousands of miles away 

This can only be stopped if the clubs are banned from their domestic leagues. But they have doubtless had their lawyers over all this and think that can be won in the courts.

These clubs are combined billions in debt, their greed, desperation and coronavirus has pushed them into this.

9 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

As it stands I only watch games Rangers are involved in so this will just be another soulless pile of plastic marketing shite that I pay zero attention.

Same here, I struggle to name more than a dozen EPL players.

If I wasn't watching Rangers, I'd be following a team lower down the football 'pyramid', not higher up. Give me two shite Scottish League Two sides slugging it out on a muddy pitch over this "elite", glossy, Americanised stuff any day. 

2 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If fans of these clubs feel as strongly about it as the general consensus seems to be then it's up to them to refuse to engage with it. Can't have a breakaway league without supporters.

The lifelong supporters of these clubs feel very strongly, but these clubs know that they will put new bums on seats all paying whatever they are asked.   Touts make hundreds of pounds every week (in a normal season) selling tickets to those that have travelled from far and wide so there will be no problem filling grounds.  

Bluekev and ForeverAndEver like this
12 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If it wasn't for Rangers I'd stop watching football altogether. 

This is a good point and one I feel as well. Used to love watching the English games and a la liga double header on a Sunday night but the last couple of years if it's not Rangers then I'm not interested.

10 hours ago, The Godfather said:

The way it is now would, it would become a meaningless round Robin of games where egos are massaged and money is shared between a dozen clubs. 

It's not even close to being football

Driven by greedy fucking yanks. Would end up like their franchised sports system where the Brooklyn Dodgers can become the LA Dodgers at the whim of a rich cunt and fuck the fans left 3000 miles away

5 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

“Legacy Fans”. It’s fucking disgusting. 

Boak. 

I hope we never ever become a club hostage to TV money or how many shirts are sold in Asia a season, we need to always, always be a club who predominantly relies on match day revenue and ticket sales, it is one of the few ways fans can keep an element of control over the club. 

You only have to look at Newcastle and their Ashley situation as an example of how difficult it is to drive change when you generate so much TV revenue that it renders ticket sales close to redundant 

5 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Jesus fucking wept legacy fans. How to spit in the face of all those people who grafted there arse off and made these clubs what they are. 

"Legacy" is a very American corporate terminology - so we can see where this has come from. NFL style model wanting to globalise elite super star teams into something else... 

rangersross and stuart1994 like this
14 hours ago, GA1972 said:

The governing bodies UEFA, Premier League, FA, Serie A etc should tell them they can go form their league but they won’t be playing in their domestic leagues or the Champions League 

If they want to go form their NBA style closed shop then it should be treated as the side show circus it is. When it all goes tits up and no one cares anymore they should have to start domestically from the bottom 

given football governance is corrupt as fuck i cant see that happening. 

GA1972 and TheFamousPigeon like this