Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

That's Merseyside Reds manager and players now speaking out against the super league. Pretty poss poor the first time they found out was when we all found out. Owners don't give a single fuck about anyone else but themselves.

If the businessmen at the helm of this have no manager, no players/staff/fans, they have no business. Could be interesting how things pan out. 

1 minute ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

If the businessmen at the helm of this have no manager, no players/staff/fans, they have no business. Could be interesting how things pan out. 

No fans is the killer. Only reason why clubs get money whether it be match tickets, merchandise, tv, sponsorship etc. Is down to the fan base.

No fan base, no club.

Just now, esquire8 said:

No fans is the killer. Only reason why clubs get money whether it be match tickets, merchandise, tv, sponsorship etc. Is down to the fan base.

No fan base, no club.

That's where it gets tricky. They are aiming for a different market, whether that be through any tv/sponsorship deals etc they sign up, or get signed up for. 

They've made it relatively clear they don't give a shit about the "real" fans of these clubs. It's aimed at the Asian and American Market to name but a few. 

I don't understand the argument that they 'don't care about their fans'. The fans will now be watching their side compete against the best teams in Europe, with access and means to buy the best players in the world. How does that translate to them not caring about their fans? I'm guessing most of the griping is coming from fans of other clubs who, let's face it, are probably just really jealous. 

Just now, Monkey Butler said:

I don't understand the argument that they 'don't care about their fans'. The fans will now be watching their side compete against the best teams in Europe, with access amd means to buying the best players in the world? How does that translate to them not caring about their fans? I'm guessing most of the griping is coming from fans of other clubs who, let's face it, are probably just really jealous. 

They have stated that that the don’t care about legacy fans and are only focussed on “fans of the future”. It’s an insult to all football fans. 

Just now, AdzKyle said:

They have stated that that the don’t care about legacy fans and are only focussed on “fans of the future”. It’s an insult to all football fans. 

All clubs need to plan for the next generation of fans, that's just smart business. We do the same thing, initiatives to attract kids to Ibrox in the hope of keeping them as lifelong fans. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

I don't understand the argument that they 'don't care about their fans'. The fans will now be watching their side compete against the best teams in Europe, with access and means to buy the best players in the world. How does that translate to them not caring about their fans? I'm guessing most of the griping is coming from fans of other clubs who, let's face it, are probably just really jealous. 

Nope

1 minute ago, Monkey Butler said:

All clubs need to plan for the next generation of fans, that's just smart business. We do the same thing, initiatives to attract kids to Ibrox in the hope of keeping them as lifelong fans. 

I’m unsure if you’re deliberately trying to play Devil’s advocate here for the sake of being contrarian

2 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Not at the expense of current fans tho. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

At what cost though? The sums being quoted are astronomical. Whether they are owned by billionaires or not, they're not going to plough in all their dosh. Season ticket prices will have to go up. A new TV deal will need to  be negotiated. Will Sky do it and risk losing the CL? That's not gonna be cheap. Then, there's the cost of travelling to away games. That's all on the owners. 

I agree 100% with all the anger against this...but I’m going to put the cat amongst the pigeons for a second. 

Why are most of the English clubs annoyed and rightly calling it a cabal.....integrity of sport is one, losing money is a significant part. But why is it different to Scottish clubs feeling aggrieved that the English league get 6 CL places while we get no automatic places. Why is that any different of a cabal? The EPL has itself been guilty of being a cabal. It’s not just about the money...it is about the fairness of creating a system where one group automatically gets more than another without kicking a ball. They are having done to them what has been done to smaller leagues by the EPL and UEFA for years. 

And now we have calls to save football and fans to march etc. Government involved. Prince William making statements. While this is totally right, it is important to say that many clubs now calling for action have been themselves complicit of the decline in standards and created an environment to allow this scandal to happen today. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

They’re not planning to attract the next kids from Manchester or Liverpool. They are trying to attract the next kids in Shanghai or Tokyo or New York. 

Soon there will be no need for these teams to be based where they are now and will be a travelling circus. 

12 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

That's where it gets tricky. They are aiming for a different market, whether that be through any tv/sponsorship deals etc they sign up, or get signed up for. 

They've made it relatively clear they don't give a shit about the "real" fans of these clubs. It's aimed at the Asian and American Market to name but a few. 

It's going down the American sport route. 

In addition to new tv/sponsorship deals in these new markets. You can guarantee ESL games will get played in these countries as well. Similar to the NFL playing games outside of America. 

Hell even the English Premier league was talking about doing this with an extra match fixture not long ago.