Breakaway European Super League

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He can only say that for the 6 EU based sides as the law stands, and even then EU competition law would still have to be tested.

He definitely can't guarantee that for the 6 English clubs. The Gov could amend the Competition Act tomorrow if it wanted to. 

Even if the EU clubs can’t expel them they can do other things. Limits on foreign players, sceduling fixtures for midweeks and telling them they forfeit if they don’t turn up etc. 

As or competition law it’s not certain that taking action to prevent a cartel forming would fall foul of it in any case.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Making a 400m loss should result in penalties not an invite to a lucrative new league. 

Posted Images

UEFA can start by telling them they have forfeited their money for this year by their own actions in breaking the rules.

The EPL regulations state permission is needed to enter a new competition. If no permission is granted they should withhold prize money and sue them for breach of the current contract.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Apologies if my point of view offends you mate, but why are you so angry about it? What difference does it make to you? 

As it happens, I'm not strongly for or against it, I'm just not getting caught up in all the hilarious knee jerk hysteria. 

I’m not angry at all. Just saddened by what is clearly a terrible idea that is designed to widen an already seismic gap between clubs.

I don’t really understand what the point of a team like Arsenal would be anymore if this comes to fruition. They won’t win the premier league or the super league. There’s nothing to play for in the Premier League really as long as they finish 17th or above apart from prize money. 

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Games up already Perez. 

A mad, lying prick like this must be just the man you want spearheading a movement that could define the future of your club if you’re United or Liverpool. Is it really better to put all your eggs in this idiot’s basket than, say, trimming your insane salaries a wee bit?

esquire8 likes this

If clubs do leave the EPL they should make a British league and all the decent Scottish clubs with ambition and a good stadium should join. 

Does look like there will be big changes needed if this goes ahead it's kinda like in the cricket when kerry packer formed a world series money talks, just hope our club will be ok whatever happens.

Florentino Perez is the man who sacked Vicente del Bosque after winning a double to replace him with Carlos Queiroz, passed on buying Ronaldinho because he was 'too ugly', sold Makelele because he thought he did nothing and thought he could fill a team with a few superstars and Paco Pavon. Guy has always been a monumental dickhead.

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

After losing €400m this season you would think Perez would keep any possible Real Madrid transfers quiet...... nah how about saying they want to buy a player for €222m instead..

This needs to be destroyed.

They can talk about the American Billionaires ruining the game, but this prick has a fucking major part to play in this carry on.

See the shit about him saying that "everyone's interested in Manchester v Madrid noones interested in Manchester vs a small team" (in championsleague)

How can you say this is for the "good of football and small teams" and make a statement like that? I reckon in his eyes we (a founding member of the champions league) qualify as one of those "small teams"

its honestly baffling how these fat cats with money see the world 

5 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

See the shit about him saying that "everyone's interested in Manchester v Madrid noones interested in Manchester vs a small team" (in championsleague)

How can you say this is for the "good of football and small teams" and make a statement like that? I reckon in his eyes we (a founding member of the champions league) qualify as one of those "small teams"

its honestly baffling how these fat cats with money see the world 

There's a fair percentage of fans who don't realise one of those stars are ours. I dare say it's the same for Brugge. 

AlbertzLoyalRSC likes this
33 minutes ago, Drumloyal said:

There's a fair percentage of fans who don't realise one of those stars are ours. I dare say it's the same for Brugge. 

Precisely. But I would add if the respective leagues etc ban these clubs they can only be members again by starting in the lowest tier of the countries professional leagues. I am really angry about this not that I have any affiliation with any of these clubs but the whole manner in which this has been conducted.

Drumloyal likes this

"The Guardian has uncovered an unpublished European Super League document in the hidden code of its new website which seeks to justify the controversial breakaway by saying it will give fans “what they want”.

............ The document says that while Uefa and the Premier League have made “good faith” attempts to improve things, fundamental change is needed. “It is a new format that will sustain the drama, passion and most importantly, the unpredictability that is the lifeblood of our sport,” the document claims. “We believe it will be the most dynamic and competitive sports league in the world.

“At its heart, this is a comprehensive solution to the critical issues facing the sport. It starts with the fans of the game, giving them what they want and deserve; the best players and the world’s top clubs competing with each other throughout the year.”

The Super League did not comment when the Guardian contacted but it later hid the code after we published the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/revealed-unpublished-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

28 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

"The Guardian has uncovered an unpublished European Super League document in the hidden code of its new website which seeks to justify the controversial breakaway by saying it will give fans “what they want”.

............ The document says that while Uefa and the Premier League have made “good faith” attempts to improve things, fundamental change is needed. “It is a new format that will sustain the drama, passion and most importantly, the unpredictability that is the lifeblood of our sport,” the document claims. “We believe it will be the most dynamic and competitive sports league in the world.

“At its heart, this is a comprehensive solution to the critical issues facing the sport. It starts with the fans of the game, giving them what they want and deserve; the best players and the world’s top clubs competing with each other throughout the year.”

The Super League did not comment when the Guardian contacted but it later hid the code after we published the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/revealed-unpublished-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

I think when they say “fans” they really mean viewers. If you’re a fan you watch the game regardless of who you’re playing. 

At the top level this is one of the final moves towards becoming purely entertainment.

Match day income is less relevant to these big clubs as they earn huge sums in TV rights. It's probably why the owners dont give a fuck about 'legacy' fans. They'll just charge the same amount for virtual tickets. 

I think DAZN have already bought the TV rights for the super league too. 

I think the whole episode is hilarious. Watching the absolute hypocrites in the media, premier league and uefa. Reap what you sow mother fuckers. 

Land Rover, Raligt and plumbGER like this