Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

Totally understand the complaints of hypocrisy and why it's hard to stomach listening to the cretins who have helped pave the way for this type of thing to happen. Only need to look at the way pundits and clubs treat the likes of the Europa League or talk about smaller nations pre-qualifying just to have the questionable honour of sharing a pitch with England in WC/Euros qualifiers - it's bordering on hysterical to suddenly see these people pivot back towards the good of the game, being able to dream etc. 

That said, if this comes to pass then there's no going back. All this pish about changing the length of football matches, ill advised shite from money hungry pricks intent on fattening their own wallets. Barca have 1billion pounds of debt, they'd rather do anything to mitigate that than reckon with their own entitled attitude to spending money. 

10 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

UEFA are not blameless in this but there the lesser of the two evils. 

Yeah end of they day they are still giving 3 free champions league spaces to english sides for no reason other than they finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Meanwhile celtic who won the league 9 times in a row had to go through qualifiers to get to the group stages. Something we need to do as well.

They have a big part in this and a reform of the champions league is needed. (Im aware of the 36 teams thing now) where free hand outs to incredible amounts of money is fair

1 minute ago, stuart1994 said:

Probably City or Chelsea. Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool American owned so it would be right up there street and Daniel Levy would sell his gran for a cash grab. 

Could see it being City. Not as if they need the money 

1 minute ago, stuart1994 said:

Probably City or Chelsea. Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool American owned so it would be right up there street and Daniel Levy would sell his gran for a cash grab. 

Yeah I think there's a good chance both those teams will pull out.

9 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

UEFA are not blameless in this but there the lesser of the two evils. 

They certainly arent blameless. For years they pandered to these cunts, giving them a bigger and bigger slice of the pie with more places for the "big 5  leagues" and allowed them to think that they were all  that mattered. Now the monster that they  have helped create has turned round to bite them and they are shitting it. Fuck them and fuck the ESL equally.

36 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

The thing that's kinda churning my stomach just now is the "good guys". Uefa, Sky, presidents and former presidents who up until 2 days ago only cared about capital gain and couldn't give a fuck about Rangers now name checking us and all of a sudden concerned about the financial state of football and wages etc.

Jamie Carragher was refreshingly honest last night about the EPL breakaway and Sky being integral to it. For fans, it meant football went from terrestrial TV to pay to view. Sky's statement last night was noble on the surface but I think they also know their pockets aren't deep enough to win TV rights for the proposed ESL.

I'm not really pissed at at all at Sky or even the EPL and where it now is. 

That is an organically grown league for the most part, English football have done well to monetize it's self around the world and the clubs (most of the larger clubs) had a pretty big global following for a long time, Man U and Liverpool for instance were pretty big before all this.

It also a league fundamentally built on the core and history of English football, the money stays within their system and any team could feasibly win their league - I would apply that to some extent to the CL as well.

This proposed breakaway is going to hawk a competition built on what  club like even Rangers have helped build and fundamentally stealing a competition we have helped build for their own wealth.

An Americanization of a football competition would never, ever work either - the notion this could be a league like the NBA or NFL is fucking daft, it would be Real Madrid, City, Barca and Man U as a pretty settled top 4 within a few years if they sides were well managed on the park 

40 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Guy talking about it on sky sports news yesterday said it was city most likely to pull out. 

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Hope teams across Europe boycott these cunts when they come to play. 

Be quite something if the whole football community pulled together and just stopped going to these clubs grounds

???

Is that not the point? There is no chance of teams meeting them in Europe, we wont be playing in the same comp as them. We are beneath them in their opinion.

Regardless, even if we did play them and the fans boycotted, I dont think they would even notice never mind care.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

???

Is that not the point? There is no chance of teams meeting them in Europe, we wont be playing in the same comp as them. We are beneath them in their opinion.

Regardless, even if we did play them and the fans boycotted, I dont think they would even notice never mind care.

I meant if it crumbles which is looking likely cause their might be a pull out from City or Chelsea 

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

The thing that's kinda churning my stomach just now is the "good guys". Uefa, Sky, presidents and former presidents who up until 2 days ago only cared about capital gain and couldn't give a fuck about Rangers now name checking us and all of a sudden concerned about the financial state of football and wages etc.

Then again us and other clubs should be using it to make changes, it's swinging one way for too long.