Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

29 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

Even though the (obviously unexpected) totally outraged reaction has stalled the setup of the Greedy Bastards League at the moment, the Genie is out of the bottle now and it will not be put back in. Guaranteed that UEFA will eventually buckle and some sort of "compromise" will be reached where the Greedy Bastards get 90% of what they are demanding and UEFA get their slice of the pie and can save face.

Just seen that apparently UEFA have agreed a deal with some finance company to increase their packages from 4.2 billion to 6 billion 

Sky will end up paying more money at the end of the season for Premier League fixtures next season

The big leagues will get bigger basically & the rest will get left behind.

Probably the worst outcome there could have been with all this for the average fan not supporting a cash cow in the Premier League

What amazes me is that most of the men behind this are hugely successful businessmen  - yet they they were so under-prepared and so out of touch with their customer base, that the venture collapsed within hours of launching.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I don't know if this has already been talked about in the thread or not, but the reaction and effort to prevent this and the wall the wall news coverage it's had is embarrassing when you compare it to the pitiful response to racism.

In fairness, the Kamara incident got a lot of coverage and widespread support from teams, pundits and fans (apart from one clubs). 

21 minutes ago, tm91 said:

If Ajax aren't a big club, we're not.

We obviously are.

Depends how you define ‘big’ I suppose?

The likes of Man City and Spurs are diddy clubs in my eyes, but to someone younger they are the clubs with lots of money, big stadiums and worldwide appeal. Revenue and coverage dwarfs ours and Ajax’s. 

9 hours ago, GOAT said:

Uefa have already shat the bed praising Man City when they first left it.  Embarssing, snakes yesterday “welcome to the uefa family” today.  Fuck uefa tae.  Punish these clubs. 

Not only will they not be punished, UEFA will chair a cosy meeting with them all to thrash out their differences and end up basically giving them whatever they want. As usual. UEFA know who  makes their money for them and no fuckin way will they upset them, itll all be about making sure this doesnt happen again. Till the next time.

8 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I don't agree that Ajax are a massive club.  They were a very successful club  but their popularity was based on their football success at the time.  You used to see a lot of Ajax tops but see hardly any these days.  I don't believe they have a massive fan base either.  

Sorry mate but that’s nonsense.  Ajax are easily in the top ten biggest clubs in Europe.  Easily.  As someone on here said last night “football royalty”.

Agnelli - “On the domestic side as well. In Europe, the most valuable match is no longer the Champions final but the English first division football playoffs to be admitted to the Premier League: 150 million. That isn’t stability. 

"We need ironbound economic and financial regulations like those established in the Super League.”

Translate - we might not make the CL next year cos we’ve been shite, how do we pay for Ronaldo? We need more money, guaranteed, cos we’re Juve. 

Reality - cut your cloth accordingly, if you cant manage your finances, sell players. 

5 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

Uefa will not do anything to the clubs or change the atrocious Champions League. 

The 4 tops leagues will continue to get an easy ride whilst all the other clubs feed of the scraps. 

I reckon they will change the champions league, over time it will be similar to the model these 12 teams wanted. Guaranteed spots for certain teams irrespective of domestic placings and much more group games between the "big clubs".i.e the already loaded ones. It  wont be good for anyone else including us or Ajax, who by any measure other than money are a massive club. Surely one of the top 5 in europe in terms of heritage.

So where does everyone stand on punishments?

Something certainly has to happen, but Sounness made me reconsider slightly when he pointed out it’s the fans, the players and the managers that will be punished despite all being monumental in stopping it.

I’d definitely punt them from Europe at least, and something should be done to dent their revenue next season. What if they had to donate a percentage of their TV money to grassroots football in England?

We’re seeing nothing change up here from this whole thing in terms of finances, let’s be honest. I’d strongly welcome the 50 + 1 rule though.

Nothing will be done to punish them, probably then opposite where they make more money available to the top trams competing in the champions League. It will be the smaller teams again that will miss out, and Arsenal and Tottenham.

Don't think for a second that we wouldn't of jumped at the chance of being part of this, football is dominated by money.

These clubs should be docked points this season and kicked out of Europe next season and this season for the teams still left. Won’t happen though, already rumours uefa are trying to meet these clubs and it will no doubt be to offer them even more help in European football. 

Something needs to change. The champions league is boring and clubs from small countries can’t compete. The earlier rounds too easy for the big boys. One thing you can say about American sport is that it’s much more competitive as teams are more evenly matched.

2 minutes ago, The Blues said:

Something needs to change. The champions league is boring and clubs from small countries can’t compete. The earlier rounds too easy for the big boys. One thing you can say about American sport is that it’s much more competitive as teams are more evenly matched.

That’s because there’s less teams in America and the draft system.  

20 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Ajax are a big/massive club by just about every possible metric you can use to determine a football clubs size.

Four European Cups, a UEFA Cup and a Cup Winners Cup.

A massive roll of domestic honours.

Countless world class players who have turned out for them.

Big stadium.

Big and passionate support.

I don’t know how anybody can seriously try to suggest that Ajax are they not a big/massive club. 

People these days have a very short term memory, if you've not won anything in recent history/spent big money you're classified as a small club

Can pretty much guarantee the average fan these days thinks Man City are a bigger club than Ajax/AC Milan/Inter Milan etc. 

Just now, Valance1690 said:

People these days have a very short term memory, if you've not won anything in recent history/spent big money you're classified as a small club

Can pretty much guarantee the average fan these days thinks Man City are a bigger club than Ajax/AC Milan/Inter Milan etc. 

Absolutely. And they’d not even be wrong, it’s just their frame of reference is different to ours.