Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

Pish as it is they have just mistimed this by about 5 years.

Sad reality is a lot of what are being labelled "legacy fans" are going to end up outnumbered by what is basically a Fifa generation who do just want to see career mode games play out where they see the best players play each other all the time and don't give a fuck about the roots of a club. and what it actually means to support a team. 

Your average punter who holds a season ticket, actually attends game is an older profile - they will just keep doing more and more to edge that kind of fan out and usher in cunts who want to watch football in GIF form of about 30 seconds highlights of a game. 

The rest of football in UK has stood up to the "bullies" this time. FFP needs to be enforced and salary caps, how can teams with hundreds of millions of debt be allowed to continue like this with no feasible way out of it. They will continue to spend more than they have. 

A European league will come because these are aresholes want it but, will need to have at least 2 divisions with promotion and relegation  with ffp at its core.

Edit, this will replace the CL as a midweek tournament imo

29 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

People these days have a very short term memory, if you've not won anything in recent history/spent big money you're classified as a small club

Can pretty much guarantee the average fan these days thinks Man City are a bigger club than Ajax/AC Milan/Inter Milan etc. 

That’s because they are the ones competing at the top of their league and late in the Champions League just now but in 10-15 years that could all change, particularly if Saudi Arabia starts pumping money into Newcastle 

10 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

The rest of football in UK has stood up to the "bullies" this time. FFP needs to be enforced and salary caps, how can teams with hundreds of millions of debt be allowed to continue like this with no feasible way out of it. They will continue to spend more than they have. 

A European league will come because these are aresholes want if but, will need to have at least 2 divisions with promotion and relegation  with ffp at its core.

The champions league changes are effectively a euro league for the top 4 leagues. 

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

So where does everyone stand on punishments?

Something certainly has to happen, but Sounness made me reconsider slightly when he pointed out it’s the fans, the players and the managers that will be punished despite all being monumental in stopping it.

I’d definitely punt them from Europe at least, and something should be done to dent their revenue next season. What if they had to donate a percentage of their TV money to grassroots football in England?

We’re seeing nothing change up here from this whole thing in terms of finances, let’s be honest. I’d strongly welcome the 50 + 1 rule, though.

I use the example of the 2007 survival season for West Ham. We were punished for playing an ineligible player based on 3rd party ownership of Tevez and Mascherano. The club was complicit, but the management team, players and supporters were not. Sheffield United pissed up their survival that season, were relegated and used Tevezgate to get some redemption. They were awarded £21million, which I believe was sucked up by their ex-chairman McCabe. 

My point is, in the English Premier League a precedent was set and therefore the clubs have to receive some form of punishment, even though the only agitators were at board level. 

The implications of those clubs moving into the ELS would have seriously damaged the league and clubs part of the ELS not being punishment will only arm them to rethink their strategy to covertly make it happen in the future. 

American owners want to maximise profits and form an American style sport system. 

Lastly, supporters of the breakaway clubs would have paid a heavy price if the ELS went ahead by being further priced out of games, away games being near impossible unless you're super-rich. No thought was given to loyal supporters of the renegade clubs, only money coming from foreign audiences. 

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy told his club's website: "We regret the anxiety and upset caused by the ESL proposal. We felt it was important that our club participated in the development of a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid."

I mean what the actual fuck!? If there was FFP at hand, you’d need to sell Players, inc Kane, to fund your huge debt for the fancy stadium ya walloper.  That’s fair play, not give you more money that you are not entitled to through performance. 

48 minutes ago, East London Loyal said:

I use the example of the 2007 survival season for West Ham. We were punished for playing an ineligible player based on 3rd party ownership of Tevez and Mascherano. The club was complicit, but the management team, players and supporters were not. Sheffield United pissed up their survival that season, were relegated and used Tevezgate to get some redemption. They were awarded £21million, which I believe was sucked up by their ex-chairman McCabe. 

My point is, in the English Premier League a precedent was set and therefore the clubs have to receive some form of punishment, even though the only agitators were at board level. 

The implications of those clubs moving into the ELS would have seriously damaged the league and clubs part of the ELS not being punishment will only arm them to rethink their strategy to covertly make it happen in the future. 

American owners want to maximise profits and form an American style sport system. 

Lastly, supporters of the breakaway clubs would have paid a heavy price if the ELS went ahead by being further priced out of games, away games being near impossible unless you're super-rich. No thought was given to loyal supporters of the renegade clubs, only money coming from foreign audiences. 

Do you actually go to West Ham games?

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

So where does everyone stand on punishments?

Something certainly has to happen, but Sounness made me reconsider slightly when he pointed out it’s the fans, the players and the managers that will be punished despite all being monumental in stopping it.

I’d definitely punt them from Europe at least, and something should be done to dent their revenue next season. What if they had to donate a percentage of their TV money to grassroots football in England?

We’re seeing nothing change up here from this whole thing in terms of finances, let’s be honest. I’d strongly welcome the 50 + 1 rule though.

I don’t think the existing procedural rules will allow punishments tbh.

Any points dockings etc I suspect would be overturned very easily.

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

I'd be reluctant to punish the clubs only insomuch as it was their players and fans that were significant in killing this idea. If anyone should know that cunt owners don't define a football club, it's us. It might be worth exploring temporary bans from European football or whatever, but the trick will be to find ways to punish the owners and protect against risk to ensure they never attempt this again. What should happen is a fundamental reorganisation of European competitions and preferably, a continent-wide application of the 50+1 system. 

Totally agree but implementing a 50+1 system at this stage is going to be incredibly difficult. Private ownership of German clubs was actually prohibited until 1998 so, in that respect, allowing commercial investors 49% was actually a concession in their favour (and away from not-for-profit members' organisations). 'Big money' is so deeply ingrained in football here that I can't even begin to the imagine the ferocity of the (legal) response if owners in the UK were faced with mandatorily relinquishing equity in clubs. 

Just now, tm91 said:

Good point on why it was possible in Germany in the first place. It would be difficult and probably a bit of a shitshow, but in theory the Government could force it with a simple Act of Parliament. Parliament is sovereign, and with Brexit the owners would have no means for appeal.

Of course the likelihood of a Tory Government forcing through what would be effectively nationalisations of football clubs is err...not particularly high, but if they could be convinced that's one possible avenue.

Otherwise UEFA and Fifa could explore penalties, fines and bans, but that would be far too difficult even if they had the spine for it.

Absolutely, mate. Would love to see it happen but 'the super-wealthy can't be trusted to administer important social institutions' isn't exactly a popular Tory hymn. I'm surprised several of their ministers have gone as far as they have but I doubt it's anything more than rhetoric to score a few populist points. 

33 minutes ago, tm91 said:

I'd be reluctant to punish the clubs only insomuch as it was their players and fans that were significant in killing this idea. If anyone should know that cunt owners don't define a football club, it's us. It might be worth exploring temporary bans from European football or whatever, but the trick will be to find ways to punish the owners and protect against risk to ensure they never attempt this again. What should happen is a fundamental reorganisation of European competitions and preferably, a continent-wide application of the 50+1 system. 

Fuck them.

Deserve everything that comes their way

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

This exact post would have been on messageboards of other teams in 2012 when it came to us. 

Punish the owners, not the fans.

I couldn’t care tbh.

Leeds fans didn’t deserve punished.

Wigan fans didn’t deserve punished.

Birmingham fans didn’t deserve punished when they were deducted points.

Portsmouth fans didn’t deserve punished.

26 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I couldn’t care tbh.

Leeds fans didn’t deserve punished.

Wigan fans didn’t deserve punished.

Birmingham fans didn’t deserve punished when they were deducted points.

Portsmouth fans didn’t deserve punished.

We didn't deserve to be punished either