The first step to a U.K. league

AlCapone

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as if englands football association would dare ruin their finaicial haven of a league by geting rid of the top 6 teams that make them so much money.

if they kicked those 6 out the quality goes down and the finances. The english FA will blow smoke for a while but ultimately that will be it. they will rely on uefa/fifa for support to stop this. and those organisations are corrupt as fuck. so expect little from them.

just waiting on sepp blatter being announced as ESL chief.

1 minute ago, Monkey Butler said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are the fans so angry about it? I'd be delighted about leaving the dross of our league behind and watching Europe's top teams every other week at Ibrox. 

Tradition. Rivalry. Sporting competition vs a closed shop preseason like tournament. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Tradition. Rivalry. Sporting competition vs a closed shop preseason like tournament. 

Does tradition really matter to the next generation of fans? And apart from the loss of Everton (who in truth aren't really Liverpool's biggest rivals these days) all the English teams will have their traditional derbies. 

6 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Does tradition really matter to the next generation of fans? And apart from the loss of Everton (who in truth aren't really Liverpool's biggest rivals these days) all the English teams will have their traditional derbies. 

Depends how you define it? Locally, yes absolutely. For the Asian / American market? Doubt it. Also doubt only that interest sustains a club long term. 

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Depends how you define it? Locally, yes absolutely. For the Asian / American market? Doubt it. Also doubt only that interest sustains a club long term. 

Older fans might bump their gums for a bit about 'the good old days', but at the end of the day the vast majority will renew their season tickets and continue to support their teams. We would do the same. And when Sky start covering the ESL, it's guaranteed that the likes of Neville and Carragher will be there also. 

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Don’t really want to move in all honesty. Not sure the OF holds that much weight anymore if we’re battling it out to be 7th and 8th in the EPL. Like our wee bitter, winner takes all cesspit of a league. 

Exactly how i feel mate 👍 its shite but its our shite.

How can it even be fair if the top 6 are allowed to continue playing in their domestic league, if I've heard this correctly the "top 6" will get a payment of 3.5B euro's each when entering the ESL, how are the rest in the EPL supposed to compete with that, surely the members of the FA "the clubs" would never vote for that.

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

I think this is an overly cynical take. People will accept a lot and look the other way, but eventually there comes a time when a line is crossed. I genuinely believe this might be that moment for some people.

I've been in love with Rangers since I was 6 years old but if we ever joined this I'd have to seriously consider walking away. Football is bad as it is, but I can tolerate it for Rangers. This Superleague idea however is the embodiment of everything I hate about football. It's the final nail in the coffin to the idea that we as fans matter at all. A closed-shop, anti-meritocratic, NFL style league where the same clubs - who increasingly will be like American franchises - play each other every year for the benefit of casuals in Asia and America? Fuck that.

It's a bit like clubs moving to new purpose built stadiums after 100+ years. Older fans howl about lost traditions and how corporate money has corrupted the game and made it soulless, but eventually they suck it up and buy their seats in the new stadium. Then within a season it's all forgotten about and accepted as 'necessary progress'. Can't see many fans of the top 6 English teams sitting in their stadium thinking "It's just not the same - I wish we were playing Sheffield Utd instead of Barcelona".

2 minutes ago, tm91 said:

I can. Take Arsenal as an example. Before they were playing Sheffield United in a system where they could get relegated, or get European football, or win the league. In this 'super league', they'd be playing - and probably getting beat by - the likes of Barcelona every week, becoming also-rans there to make up the numbers, and playing for nothing. These clubs will end up like US franchises.

This league set-up doesn't even have equal distribution of income for the clubs in this super league. The top 6 clubs will earn more than than the 4 beneath them, who in turn will earn more than the rest. Clubs won't have the threat of relegation, there won't be a natural promotion mechanism to refresh things and the 5 'qualifiers' won't have any rights and could be kicked out at a moment's notice whenever the 'founder' clubs feel like it. 

This feels like something more than just another stage in the evolution of football. 

Arsenal probably wasn't the best example mate, given they play for nothing most seasons anyway :lol:

But I take your point. However, this could just be the start, and before you know it there could be an ESL2 with relegations/promotions eventually introduced.

I dont want it. The problem with our league is the rest if the teams, the support from the rest of the clubs outwith the OF is dreadful.....they only turn up when it's semi final or final day if they make it.

If these clubs could actually age to fill their stadiums when they are not playing Rangers and celtic it would really help them but for far too long they turn up in their dribs and drabs and thats a big problem when attracting decent Investment.

20 minutes ago, Camshy said:

I dont want it. The problem with our league is the rest if the teams, the support from the rest of the clubs outwith the OF is dreadful.....they only turn up when it's semi final or final day if they make it.

If these clubs could actually age to fill their stadiums when they are not playing Rangers and celtic it would really help them but for far too long they turn up in their dribs and drabs and thats a big problem when attracting decent Investment.

Most of the fans who turn up on semi-final day aren't actually supporters of the club who are playing. It's a family day out/piss up for their local community, even for non football fans. Then you've got the gloryhunters who will tell you they are either Rangers or celtic fans on the other 364 days a year. Yet have a soft spot for their local team when it suits.

I live in the Highlands now and the amount of people who claim to support Rangers and Inverness or celtic and Inverness is weird. (same with County)

Nah not interested, whats the point in playing in England if you don't get to play the big teams, were already at the top of a second rate league so why move from this one to another second rate league where we'd have more competition for Europe than we do now 

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are the fans so angry about it? I'd be delighted about leaving the dross of our league behind and watching Europe's top teams every other week at Ibrox. 

Because these cunts are stealing football clubs from their city.

The likes of Liverpool and Man U are going to end up clubs built for everyone but the city of Liverpool and Manchester.. 

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Because these cunts are stealing football clubs from their city.

The likes of Liverpool and Man U are going to end up clubs built for everyone but the city of Liverpool and Manchester.. 

The clubs aren't physically moving anywhere and they can still go and support their team, it's just the opposition that's changing.

Just now, Monkey Butler said:

The clubs aren't physically moving anywhere and they can still go and support their team, it's just the opposition that's changing.

The general jist from the fan Podcasts I have listed to on this, United We Stand, Anfield Wrap have views pretty removed from that. 

Liverpool and Man U are going to end up playing games away from home that most of their fans won't be able to attend. They have just tarred their season ticket holders of 20/30 years as "legacy fans". 

These clubs are removing themselves and alienating themselves from the people who built the clubs in the first place. 

If a foreign owner came into Rangers tomorrow and hawked us around for their own means and to make some cash they would be firmly told to get to fuck from the vast majority of our support after what we have been through.

2 hours ago, Nameless Ghoul said:

Not paid much attention to it all but just had a look at some of the comments from English fans and they are raging. Even their own fans seem angry. Football is becoming a tv event instead of for the fans in the stadium and it's all about money as per. 

My late Father said to me years ago , back in the 70's , that TV was ruining Football and the Football that was on TV then was nothing compared to what is on view now. I argued with him at the time as at that time games could be live on TV and the grounds were , for the most part , full.

Different times now with far more revenue involved due to advertising , something that was taboo at that particular time re shirt sponsors and track side advertising being relatively new , and at the end of the day where does it end as all this is about is the Americanization of World Football due to plain Corporate greed.

Archived