*****The Official St Johnstone v The Champions Match Thread****

ElBufalo20

45 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Surprised at the criticism of Itten as well. Whilst he’s featured in a lot of games, very few have been starts & trying to find your feet, particularly in Scotland, needs a good year to settle in - just look at Borna. 

And yet... despite that, he’s scored arguably the most crucial goal in the season, in the 3-1 win over Motherwell just a few days after losing to St Mirren. 

He’s still young(ish), had a prolific season in Switzerland and a full Swiss international. 

Challenge for him is that he has Morelos infront of him but I’ve absolutely no doubt he’ll be a success. 

Na mate he’s terrible, worse than Herrera and it’s bewildering why he was signed

/s 

1 hour ago, eskbankloyal said:

Surprised at the criticism of Itten as well. Whilst he’s featured in a lot of games, very few have been starts & trying to find your feet, particularly in Scotland, needs a good year to settle in - just look at Borna. 

And yet... despite that, he’s scored arguably the most crucial goal in the season, in the 3-1 win over Motherwell just a few days after losing to St Mirren. 

He’s still young(ish), had a prolific season in Switzerland and a full Swiss international. 

Challenge for him is that he has Morelos infront of him but I’ve absolutely no doubt he’ll be a success. 

Yep. It’s not just that few have been starts either, most of his sub appearances lately have seen him get less than 10 minutes.

He’s only going to develop if he gets more starts in his main position.

Disappointing result with a vastly changed team - Definitely affected our game in the first half where we were very disjointed.

From reading the last few comments above I don’t think Roofe has looked sharp since his recurring ankle/Achilles issue and was well off the pace against Slavia when he came on and has done little since (celtic/St Johnstone) to improve. There’s no doubt with time/pre season under his belt he has a lot to offer us in the future.

Can’t quite understand the criticism of Itten? Runs his heart out every time he plays, uses his height well and puts his body on the line. Biggest issue is game time - 5mins here and there isn’t the answer and we are trying to play him off the main striker like Kent/Hagi and that’s not his game. Would like to see him getting a run through the middle to see how he does.

Without being overly critical especially after the season we have had I would be more frustrated with Hagi - Thought he was poor lastnite and never seems to take his opportunity when he does get a start.

I don’t think people are ‘bewildered’ as to why he was signed or that he’s ‘worse than Herrera’. Not many have said anything like that. 

Some have said that they don’t think he’ll make it here or that he hasn’t done enough in the minutes he’s had. Both of which I agree with. 

Morelos drives me insane at points, but if we had Itten and Roofe as our starting two I’m not sure we’d have 55 in the bag right now.

1 hour ago, Johnsey said:

First game I missed this season. How did Simpson get on? 

I hope we can bring back that early season intensity soon. Unplayable when we are zipping it about at pace. 

A bit shaky and all over the place.
But I'm confident he will come good, I like the fact he is left footed I find it's comfortable.

Just like Itten and Roofe, he needs minutes under his belt in my opinion.

Must be difficult for Itten as let’s face ot he could have scored a hat-trick last night and still be dropped on Sunday.

Less of an excuse for Roofe/Wright/Hagi. There’s likely only one place up for grabs in team and it’s between those 3 and Arfield.

Wright has shown up well not only last night but any other time he’s played.

36 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Must be difficult for Itten as let’s face ot he could have scored a hat-trick last night and still be dropped on Sunday.

Less of an excuse for Roofe/Wright/Hagi. There’s likely only one place up for grabs in team and it’s between those 3 and Arfield.

Wright has shown up well not only last night but any other time he’s played.

Think that's mostly true but Itten has had chances when Morelos/Roofe where both misfiring earlier in the season, couple of good performances & he could've easily been knocking on the door. 

Good performance last night might not have got him in for Sunday but could've put him in line for a start in the last few games of the season, after last night though I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a sub role at best in the remaining games.

Same goes for Hagi btw, he's had his chances when people wanted Aribo out, he never took them and Aribo got the position by default.

Result didn't matter last night (win/draw) but the disappointing thing was players not jumping at the chances they got

7 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Hes started 9 games in all competitions.

How many goals does he have ? Scored a cracker against someone, can't remember who though, and also a vital goal against Motherwell.  The ball doesn't stick to the big man, or Roofe for that matter.  Very noticeable when Alfie isn't playing.

7 hours ago, Johnsey said:

First game I missed this season. How did Simpson get on? 

I hope we can bring back that early season intensity soon. Unplayable when we are zipping it about at pace. 

Needs more games good on the ball and a good turn of pace but has the odd error in him but then he's hardly played at all yet so early days.