British League

tommyw

I can't see any of the 14:

a) potentially voting themselves out the league to cut the league down to 18

b) potentially voting themselves out the league to bring us and them in

c) potentially voting themselves out the league to bring us and them in and cutting the league to 18

Also, don't see the FAW or SFA agreeing to this. I'm fairly certain the IFA would probably be supportive.

1 minute ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Would make more sense as a UK Cup or something like that.

Do it in the summers when there's no Euros or World Cup.

No money in it I don't think. If teams even outside the top 6 are playing reserves and youths in the Europa League, FA and EFL Cups then I can't see them taking it seriously when they play us, Celtic, Aberdeen etc. Sky etc know this so I don't think it would command a decent deal.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

No money in it I don't think. If teams even outside the top 6 are playing reserves and youths in the Europa League, FA and EFL Cups then I can't see them taking it seriously when they play us, Celtic, Aberdeen etc. Sky etc know this so I don't think it would command a decent deal.

Who knows, just can't believe that this is even being considered given the absolute catastrofuck that the ESL has been.

4 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Who knows, just can't believe that this is even being considered given the absolute catastrofuck that the ESL has been.

Big 6 seem hell bent on forcing some kind of change through. The playoff idea again, its clear the Americans just don't get it. There would be an uproar just as big as the Super League ideal if they pushed a World Series / Super Bowl type game for the Championship.

Us and them offer a marginal improvement in marketability and revenue generation... but again, I think that can't be relied upon. If clubs like Villa and Newcastle can be relegated so can we. A Rangers and Celtic that aren't scrapping for titles but are scrapping for a Europa League spot, mid table or worse is not the money spinner people think it would be.

Reputational risk for the PL as well. Our fans and their fans would be in the papers every week.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Big 6 seem hell bent on forcing some kind of change through. The playoff idea again, its clear the Americans just don't get it. There would be an uproar just as big as the Super League ideal if they pushed a World Series / Super Bowl type game for the Championship.

Us and them offer a marginal improvement in marketability and revenue generation... but again, I think that can't be relied upon. If clubs like Villa and Newcastle can be relegated so can we. A Rangers and Celtic that aren't scrapping for titles but are scrapping for a Europa League spot, mid table or worse is not the money spinner people think it would be.

Reputational risk for the PL as well. Our fans and their fans would be in the papers every week.

That's part of the appeal tbf :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Zappa6995 said:

Well be lucky to still be part of Britain never mind part of a British League

Might help keep Britain together though. I'm not smart enough to say this with any confidence, but I'd suggest it might be in Westminster's interested to encourage the FA to dangle the carrot of cross border football of some kind for teams in home nations only. Could possibly turn the heads of a few 'on the fence about independence' football fans.

Just now, Jeffrey said:

That's part of the appeal tbf :lol: 

It would be absolute carnage.

There's a test for if this story has substance to it or not: We will know there is something in it when the heads of every Police force in England are hammering the doors of the Police Minister, the Home Secretary and Richard Masters demanding a meeting.

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Be some laugh phoning work from Southampton away on a Sunday night telling them I’ll no be back to Wednesday cause am stopping off at Newcastle for the Tuesday away game on the way back up. 

Sign me up

We'd take about 30k to Newcastle away :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Weird how this throws up a lot of negative chat but Cardiff and Swansea are fine to play in the English league

Lot of history behind that though. Until the early 90s the Welsh clubs were all integrated into England. The FAW tried to initially force every club to come and play in the League of Wales when it was set up for nationalistic reasons. But it was mental to try and force those two plus Wrexham and a few others into a league which would have bankrupted them. Look up the 'irate eight'. It's a pretty interesting story.

28 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I can't see any of the 14:

a) potentially voting themselves out the league to cut the league down to 18

b) potentially voting themselves out the league to bring us and them in

c) potentially voting themselves out the league to bring us and them in and cutting the league to 18

Also, don't see the FAW or SFA agreeing to this. I'm fairly certain the IFA would probably be supportive.

Obviously the SFA would be against it, but not the FAW or IFA. They wouldn't be included, it doesn't impact their leagues either. 

Now for me, it's a dangerous game for us down here adding a giant club in Rangers to the league. It hurts my clubs chances, because access to the league will give Rangers more resources. Other clubs that are traditionally on the periphery of challenging for the 1-6 spots could also be trying to swim upstream with other big club in the league. 

In terms of size, only Man United and Liverpool are bigger than Rangers. 

In an act of self-preservation, Rangers fans shouldn't and won't care about the impact of their inclusion in the league, neither about harming the pyramid they'd leave behind after how the club was treated in 2012.