British League

tommyw

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Not really tbh

It is for me. Don't see many patriotic Scots in GR3. Majority of our fan base see our British roots and are against Scottish independence etc so it's funny seeing our Scottish heritage being used as an excuse to not play in England.

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

It is for me. Don't see many patriotic Scots in GR3. Majority of our fan base see our British roots and are against Scottish independence etc so it's funny seeing our Scottish heritage being used as an excuse to not play in England.

I understand now 

5 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

They also got back up. Didn't reduce their support or stature.

Absolutely reduced their stature, they mounted a challenge under Keegan but haven't been close to mounting a challenge since they came back up.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Neither you nor I know what the demand will be. And yes, Newcastle got relegated. They also got back up. Didn't reduce their support or stature. Its a different ball game down there but I don't think we should write it off like we're backing away from a challenge. I'm not all for it btw, I'm very much on the fence but we will never become just another club in the fans eyes and frankly, that's all that matters. There are pros and cons but even as a low to mid tier team in the premier League we would be able to attract better quality of players for instance than we will just now as the most successful team in football.

Their stature is that of a mid-table team who don't win silverware and were last of any real relevance 20 years ago when they had a brief title challenge before imploding.

We might not be 'just another club' in the eyes of our fans, but in the eyes of Newcastle fans, they aren't 'just another club', same for Villa fans, same for Forest fans.

Since Newcastle last won a major honour, Rangers have won:

A European Cup Winners' Cup

21 Scottish titles

14 Scottish Cups

21 League Cups.

3 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Not really tbh

4 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

You do realise you can be immensely proud of your Scottish heritage but also proud of Scotlands place in the Union and be patriotic to both things? 

Whether you agree with independence or not doesn't really affect that.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

You do realise you can be immensely proud of your Scottish heritage but also proud of Scotlands place in the Union and be patriotic to both things? 

Whether you agree with independence or not doesn't really affect that.

Of course. That was fuck all to do with the price of chicken. My point was people using the Scottish thing as an excuse why we should not play in a British league. 

I've skipped a couple of pages in the middle of this thread but the jist I'm getting seems to be centering around the fact that posters are concerned that we wouldn't be able to compete in the premiership, my take is we probably wouldn't be able to compete at the top for a good number of years at least until we caught up financially, after that I would expect us to compete at the higher end of the table, but even if not I'd still rather watch us play the likes of Everton, Villa, Wolves etc rather than the shite I have to suffer week in week out in Scotland, add in the fact that we would also be able to attract a better class of player then what's not to like?.

The other main point I'm picking up on is that we could find ourselves in a relegation battle using the likes of Newcastle, Villa etc as examples and while there is that possibility there is also the possibility that after a couple of years we could do a Leicester, it's all down to recruitment, and if we were able to get into European competitions we'd have a much better chance of actually doing something.

Bottom line for me is if we were offered this opportunity I'd like to see us take it, I've said it all my life supporting The Rangers that we are a massive club so therefore I'd love to see us pick up the gauntlet and prove it. 

57 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Of course. That was fuck all to do with the price of chicken. My point was people using the Scottish thing as an excuse why we should not play in a British league. 

Incase you haven't realised the SFA and FA have been 2 seperate organisations since before Christ.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

There’s probably only 4 institutions in football in this country, Rangers, Liverpool, Man Utd and them, unfortunately. 

Liverpool have won 1 title in 30 year, Man Utd haven’t even so mounted a challenge in nearly a decade. Just shows how difficult it is to win down there, with or without billionaires. 

Fuck winning a trophy every few years, celebrating an English league cup like a team like Spurs cause they win absolutely fuck all. Imagine playing in Europe once every 3 or 4 years as well? So all you’ve to look forward to is a bevy down to Manchester because you’re sitting 11th in an 18 team league with nothing to win and no European nights? No. 

It would take at least 5 years of excellent recruitment and management to start to challenge the billionaire clubs never mind win things

😂😂😂 

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. 

Utterly delusional. 

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

It's not an excuse, we play under the SFA rules and there is no such thing as a British league.

Whether or fans identify as British/Scottish/European/Gaelic/Pictish/Angle Saxon or whatever is irrelevant.

We are a Scottish club.

4 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t see Man United and Liverpool fans greeting about it and wanting to run away to another league do you? 

i did not know liverpool and man utd fans were hated for their religious beliefs and political stances like we are.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Absolutely no chance of it happening.  

Of course it would over time.

• Demographic changes in the ST base due to higher prices because of demand
  • Current changes happening in Scottish society
  • Attracting more people within Scotland to support us because we are in a better league not necessarily from a trad Rangers background
  • The fact that 18 out of 19 opponents in the league would likely be English and that's a point of difference
  • Current focus of the club hierarchy of shifting away from a certain identities to a more football orientated one
  • Pressure from wider media exposure on fan culture

When I say Scottish identity I don't mean a Scottish nationalist one either, I just mean more emphasis on the Scottish part rather than British.

Some of the above means the changes will happen anyway even if we stay in Scotland, but a move to England would speed it up and make it more likely. The long term trend is already there. I'm not saying it happens over night either - its a 5-10-15 year thing.

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

Simple question is it better for Rangers, financially, competitively and for the chance for Rangers to go to the next level as a football club to play in a British premier league or current English premier league.  Just a yes or no answer will suffice please. 

Financially? Maybe

Competitively? No. Of course not. 

What's the next level if we can't compete? 

No. 

Just now, Mclean RFC said:

i did not know liverpool and man utd fans were hated for their religious beliefs and political stances like we are.

:lol: 

We’re hated because we’re the biggest and best, same as those two.

I’ll guess most aren’t religious at all either

33 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Bottom line for me is if we were offered this opportunity I'd like to see us take it, I've said it all my life supporting The Rangers that we are a massive club so therefore I'd love to see us pick up the gauntlet and prove it. 

A huge massive glamourous club that plays in one of the most exciting derbies in world football, and is only eclipsed in size in the UK by Manchester United and Liverpool. 

I'd love celtic's foray in a British league to be a record least amount of points in a season, taking the mantle from Derby County. 

In truth, I think this is inevitable. If not now, certainly down the line.

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Neither you nor I know what the demand will be. And yes, Newcastle got relegated. They also got back up. Didn't reduce their support or stature. 

And how have Newcastle got on since their promotion? 

We're not as big as Man United and Liverpool so where are we in terms of stature? Arsenal, Spurs, Everton? How many trophies have they actually won between them since the Premier League was invented?