British League

tommyw

Just now, The Dude said:

paying a fraction of the wages that everyone around is is? Laughable.

Leicester City highest paid player is Vardy. £140K. Leicester sitting in 3rd place in EPL. Good chance of Champions League next season. Also in final of the FA Cup. Aye ok. Laughable. 

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

Leicester City highest paid player is Vardy. £140K. Leicester sitting in 3rd place in EPL. Good chance of Champions League next season. Also in final of the FA Cup. Aye ok. Laughable. 

Their wage budget is 74 million pounds and have debt of 178 million pounds, before Covid. 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What do you think we'd be getting for 10% of that? I'm sure players are also going to turn down huge money from other BSL sides to come to Ibrox for 30k because we're special.

Just stop it. We’d be making more money so we could spend more money on players FFS. 

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

paying a fraction of the wages that everyone around is is? Laughable.

I don’t think this squad we have now would get relegated .

I know our wage bill is a fraction of what the rest are but we have good value in our squad .

If we sold all our players 2moro to premier league clubs they would all get nice big wage rises .So it’s not really black and white that our wage bill would see us automatically fail .

PS it’s all hypothetical anyway .Even if we were to join next season our squad will be different from today’s .

21 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Leicester who lost 70m last year on top of taking out 130million in loans?

17 minutes ago, bluebell82 said:

I like the idea of a British Cup, not sure I'm as keen on a British League/us joining the EPL as I would have been 10/15 years ago. For all that is bad about scottish football, at least clubs are not not detached/so far removed from their roots/fans like so many EPL clubs are.

The teams in that league are established with well funded squads .

While I don’t think we would get relegated first time round it would take years to catch up with even European places .Probably need somebody flinging a good few hundred million at us to get to that stage .You dont get success just with a big support and the big TV cash that all your competitors get anyway .

If it had happened 20years ago when the gap wasn’t so big and the huge outside investment wasn’t happening it would have been easier to challenge .

1 minute ago, magic8ball said:

I don’t think this squad we have now would get relegated .

I know our wage bill is a fraction of what the rest are but we have good value in our squad .

If we sold all our players 2moro to premier league clubs they would all get nice big wage rises .So it’s not really black and white that our wage bill would see us automatically fail .

PS it’s all hypothetical anyway .Even if we were to join next season our squad will be different from today’s .

They might not but we'd need HUGE investment to avoid simply becoming another mid-table PL team. Outwith our core of players, we don't have many built-in replacements. Sell Barisic and you're likely spending that same fee just to get back to the position we were already at. There'd also need to be evn more investment if we actually wanted to challenge for silverware.

If it was as easy as some think to simply go down there and compete, the PL wouldnt see the same wee group of clubs at the top most years.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Don't chelsea, man united, arsenal and spurs make more money?

Aye, and they throw it around like confetti. They spend way beyond their means. 
Slavia Prague knocked out Leicester the round of Europa before us and they are in 3rd place in the EPL and in final of FA Cup. See what I’m getting at? 

Aye, and they throw it around like confetti. They spend way beyond their means. 
Slavia Prague knocked out Leicester the round of Europa before us and they are in 3rd place in the EPL and in final of FA Cup. See what I’m getting at? 

That Cup fitba isnt a particularly accurate way to look at leagues. Otherwise, there'd be cunts on here arguing Brora Rangers deserve to be in the Premiership.

I suppose what I don't want it to have to become used to being a mid table club (even if it's the top of the middle). It's not enough to be a big club down south I mean spurs haven't won a title since Yuri Gagarin blasted off and it's nearly a century since Newcastle have been raising a league flag. So I would probably rather we just stayed in the century and more old death grip with the great unwashed and European football close at hand as a welcome diversion. Ok not very ambitious perhaps it's my age :craphead:

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That Cup fitba isnt a particularly accurate way to look at leagues. Otherwise, there'd be cunts on here arguing Brora Rangers deserve to be in the Premiership.

That’s poor from you. Another good season in Europe for us and using Brora Rangers for an argument. 👍

That’s poor from you. Another good season in Europe for us and using Brora Rangers for an argument. 👍

Not sure what our season in Europe has to do with Slavia Prague knocking Leicester City out the Europa League - or Hearts getting pumped by Brora.

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They might not but we'd need HUGE investment to avoid simply becoming another mid-table PL team. Outwith our core of players, we don't have many built-in replacements. Sell Barisic and you're likely spending that same fee just to get back to the position we were already at. There'd also need to be evn more investment if we actually wanted to challenge for silverware.

If it was as easy as some think to simply go down there and compete, the PL wouldnt see the same wee group of clubs at the top most years.

Perfect example is Newcastle ,Similar size stadium .Packed all the time .Mid table is all they can achieve .

All the teams above have huge investors .The odd time a team breaks in without the huge investment but generally one season wonders .

The one difference between us and Newcastle is our appeal .We would in time start getting better sponsorship etc .Their fan base is pretty much restricted to the NE ,We have fans already all over .But to make a significant impact we would still need somebody willing to sink in a few hundred million .Transfer fees dropping post Covid may mean a few hundred million significant compared to the 1B Man City have spent building themselves up .

5 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Perfect example is Newcastle ,Similar size stadium .Packed all the time .Mid table is all they can achieve .

All the teams above have huge investors .The odd time a team breaks in without the huge investment but generally one season wonders .

The one difference between us and Newcastle is our appeal .We would in time start getting better sponsorship etc .Their fan base is pretty much restricted to the NE ,We have fans already all over .But to make a significant impact we would still need somebody willing to sink in a few hundred million .Transfer fees dropping post Covid may mean a few hundred million significant compared to the 1B Man City have spent building themselves up .

The problem with our fans all over is that they aren't typically 'organic' fans. We don't have hordes of folk tuning in around the world who didn't already have some sort of link to the club (whether that's because they were born here and moved or their family did). You can go into any city in America and there will be supporters clubs for teams up and down the English leagues with plenty of fans who had no previous affiliations. Almost all of the American guys I'm friendly have a PL team they support for various arbitrary reasons but very few of them could give a fuck less about the SPFL beyond the ones who had family that emigrated from here.

EDIT: I'd be fairly comfortable in saying Newcastle have more 'organic' fans in the US than we do simply because they play in the PL. We'll have a bigger ex-pat fan base but they would support us in the SPFL regardless.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The problem with our fans all over is that they aren't typically 'organic' fans. We don't have hordes of folk tuning in around the world who didn't already have some sort of link to the club (whether that's because they were born here and moved or their family did). You can go into any city in America and there will be supporters clubs for teams up and down the English leagues with plenty of fans who had no previous affiliations. Almost all of the American guys I'm friendly have a PL team they support for various arbitrary reasons but very few of them could give a fuck less about the SPFL beyond the ones who had family that emigrated from here.

EDIT: I'd be fairly comfortable in saying Newcastle have more 'organic' fans in the US than we do simply because they play in the PL. We'll have a bigger ex-pat fan base but they would support us in the SPFL regardless.

What I meant is we have a wider base .A base that can be built from .

Look at Chelsea ,20years ago they would have been lucky to fill a bus with the fans outside U.K. .They did need to start winning to get to that stage though .

Pockets of fans all over the world that we already have would grow with exposure to the big time .

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What you're saying is: there's an enormous number of fly-by-night fans in emerging football markets who'll arbitrarily support a team just because they play in the most popular league in the world and, despite being in one of the more undesirable leagues, we - unlike many of the teams in the EPL - have managed to maintain a more committed, authentic support in the same emerging markets. Surely that lends credence to the argument that there's more potential inherent in us than there is in these mid-table clubs? We already have a much larger foundation of "non-organic" (in your terminology) fans than these other clubs, so if we joined the same league as them (and you're suggesting US supporters will pick a new EPL side just because they're in that league) surely we'd have a much larger potential customer base than them if we joined that league (i.e. having the same number of 'organic' fans as them + our existing 'non-organic' support, which almost all EPL mid-table sides don't have). 

7 minutes ago, rangersross said:

What you're saying is: there's an enormous number of fly-by-night fans in emerging football markets who'll arbitrarily support a team just because they play in the most popular league in the world and, despite being in one of the more undesirable leagues, we - unlike many of the teams in the EPL - have managed to maintain a more committed, authentic support in the same emerging markets. Surely that lends credence to the argument that there's more potential inherent in us than there is in these mid-table clubs? We already have a much larger foundation of "non-organic" (in your terminology) fans than these other clubs, so if we joined the same league as them (and you're suggesting US supporters will pick a new EPL side just because they're in that league) surely we'd have a much larger potential customer base than them if we joined that league (i.e. having the same number of 'organic' fans as them + our existing 'non-organic' support, which almost all EPL mid-table sides don't have). 

There's no doubting the potential that's there but a lot of that potential being fulfilled comes down to success on the pitch - and in the recent era of the PL that almost always comes down to having someone with almost limitless wealth bankrolling it. Off the top of my head, the last time the PL was won by a side not owned by a foreign billionaire was 20+ years ago.

If we're simply going down there to feed off the scraps from the top six, I'd rather stay here and be a big fish in a small pond and get regular european football and see my team win trophies more often than not and have regular title success be something that we reminisce about.

I've no idea why anyone would want to choose to turn Rangers into a club like West Ham or Aston Villa or Newcastle on the slight chance we get bought up as some plaything for a foreign billionaire to do as he sees fit.

13 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

What I meant is we have a wider base .A base that can be built from .

Look at Chelsea ,20years ago they would have been lucky to fill a bus with the fans outside U.K. .They did need to start winning to get to that stage though .

Pockets of fans all over the world that we already have would grow with exposure to the big time .

If we have success in the big time. Like you say 20 years ago nobody cared about Chelsea. Now they win things, they get some interest. Would they still have that same support if they weren't winning trophies and being bankrolled by a billionaire to do so?