British League

tommyw

3 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Big Ray supports Leeds and he’s from London.

Who's big Ray? Is he big Ray cos he's an English team supporter or was he already big before he started following Leeds?

If big Ray was from Glasgow he could be massive Ray and his team (unlike Leeds) would never get relegated.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

No chance Newcastle have a higher ceiling than Leeds.

Population wise Leeds urban/metro area around 4.5 million to Newcastles 2.5.

Leeds metro region includes places like Barnsley, Huddersfield, Bradford - there’s a limit to penetration in those markets. You have to also factor in Rugby League in some of the other towns where there is no real interest in football. Others it’s Rugby Union. 

Newcastle compete with Sunderland and small pockets of Rugby Union areas.

I imagine it evens itself out over the piece for potential.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

Who's big Ray? Is he big Ray cos he's an English team supporter or was he already big before he started following Leeds?

If big Ray was from Glasgow he could be massive Ray and his team (unlike Leeds) would never get relegated.

Guy from the Undateables

2C1F0967-C79A-4C19-9A64-8ACB31C030AC.jpeg

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Leeds metro region includes places like Barnsley, Huddersfield, Bradford - there’s a limit to penetration in those markets. You have to also factor in Rugby League in some of the other towns where there is no real interest in football. Others it’s Rugby Union. 

Newcastle compete with Sunderland and small pockets of Rugby Union areas.

I imagine it evens itself out over the piece for potential.

Yeah i know Rugby league is hugely popular in that region but 2 million is a heck of a lot more people.

We were talking about their ceiling though, a regular champions league team from Leeds has huge potential.

Just now, plumbGER said:

They'd think we owe them our lives for taking us out our pub league and the banter would be tedious as fuck after a while.

Fuck I never even thought of that. Although might be worth it to see Goat's face tripping him when we bring out the Rangers x Wolves official Castore half-half scarf.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Fuck I never even thought of that. Although might be worth it to see Goat's face tripping him when we bring out the Rangers x Wolves official Castore half-half scarf.

Would be the closest we'd get to Gold being on our official clobber for another good while.

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can't be answered with a yes or no unless you can tell us where Rangers are going to end up every season. We get relegated in year one and end up like Oldham are you going to tell me that's better for Rangers?

Oldham never have and never will have a support as vast as Rangers. They don't and never will have ST money and merchandise money like Rangers. Silly comparison.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Oldham never have and never will have a support as vast as Rangers. They don't and never will have ST money and merchandise money like Rangers. Silly comparison.

Too be fair the same could be said about Newcastle and Aston Villa.

3 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Newcastle had ST money like ours. Bombed out the league. Merchandise money? GTFO. Our merchandise money would barely cover a 'top' PL players wages for six months.

19 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Genuinely think that if we were to go into England our fanbase’s British identity would shift over time into a more Scottish one.

Absolutely no chance of it happening.  

Just now, G.E.C. said:

Too be fair the same could be said about Newcastle and Aston Villa.

Yes that would be more accurate however I'd still say we are bigger. But they are parachute teams. That's the worst case scenario is relegation but I believe we are big enough to at worst, get back up. That's not a reason, as many are leaning on, to avoid a competition however -that we may get relegated. For me that's part of football.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Newcastle had ST money like ours. Bombed out the league. Merchandise money? GTFO. Our merchandise money would barely cover a 'top' PL players wages for six months.

If you used Newcastle in your argument then you had a valid point...You used Oldham, therefore negated your point.

You're also understating the value of our merch. We constantly meet supply and demand with shirt sales etc and the demand would intensify with the global riches of the premier League and open up to new merchandising opportunities.

Fear of playing in a competition cause you may loose and get relegated is cowardly. There are many reasons some may see why we shouldn't join the Prem but that is a poor one.

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

See the people that are saying no to this, I refuse to believe for one second it’s their actual view if a more credible thing happened to show this could actually happen they would soon change their tune in a heartbeat.  If they don’t they clearly don’t have rangers best interests at heart. 

We are a Scottish team.

The best we can do is to win everything in Scotland, and a run in Europe.

Genuinely wonder at the mentality of people who would like is to be a team that might, potentially, be in Europe but win nothing. Weird.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

If you used Newcastle in your argument then you had a valid point...You used Oldham, therefore negated your point.

You're also understating the value of our merch. We constantly meet supply and demand with shirt sales etc and the demand would intensify with the global riches of the premier League and open up to new merchandising opportunities.

Fear of playing in a competition cause you may loose and get relegated is cowardly. There are many reasons some may see why we shouldn't join the Prem but that is a poor one.

Would the demand particularly increase so that we're on a level with the 'elite' clubs? How does that work out for Newcastle who (even pre Ashley) sold phenomenal numbers of kits while having ng similar numbers of STs to ours? 

Not the fear of relegation but the realisation that down there, we can very quickly become just another club. Our success won't be what distinguishes us from others if we aren't winning fuck all. Fans around the world arent going to suddenly flock to us because of our history (the same history we'd be walking away from). 

7 minutes ago, Pure_Quality said:

We are a Scottish team.

The best we can do is to win everything in Scotland, and a run in Europe.

Genuinely wonder at the mentality of people who would like is to be a team that might, potentially, be in Europe but win nothing. Weird.

We’re a British team, this is supposedly a British premier league or super league.  Shitey argument just blew out the water there. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Would the demand particularly increase so that we're on a level with the 'elite' clubs? How does that work out for Newcastle who (even pre Ashley) sold phenomenal numbers of kits while having ng similar numbers of STs to ours? 

Not the fear of relegation but the realisation that down there, we can very quickly become just another club. Our success won't be what distinguishes us from others if we aren't winning fuck all. Fans around the world arent going to suddenly flock to us because of our history (the same history we'd be walking away from). 

Neither you nor I know what the demand will be. And yes, Newcastle got relegated. They also got back up. Didn't reduce their support or stature. Its a different ball game down there but I don't think we should write it off like we're backing away from a challenge. I'm not all for it btw, I'm very much on the fence but we will never become just another club in the fans eyes and frankly, that's all that matters. There are pros and cons but even as a low to mid tier team in the premier League we would be able to attract better quality of players for instance than we will just now as the most successful team in football.