Who goes in summer?

8 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

We paid £6m for Arteta but sold him to Real Sociedad for £3.3m .  He was supposed to be homesick but went to Everton a year later.

Wee Advocaat didn't rate Rino.  A year later he was sold to Milan for about £6m.

Did we not initially sign him as a striker and Dick mainly tried to play him at RB? 

Was it at Salernitana he became a midfielder? I suppose when you charge about like a mad man posessed there really is only one position for you.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Did we not initially sign him as a striker and Dick mainly tried to play him at RB? 

Was it at Salernitana he became a midfielder? I suppose when you charge about like a mad man posessed there really is only one position for you.

Dick was given a cheque book to sign whoever he wanted. He made many mistakes but got a lot right. Arteta and Gattuso should not have been sold. Certainly not for such paltry sums.

A goal every 2 games for Roofe this season and just turned 28 so isn’t even close to being 30. Getting unnecessary stick because he done a stupid run up for his penalty. 

There’s at least 6 players ahead of him that should be out the door first. Stewart, Jones, Zungu, Edmundson, Defoe and Aribo. 

Aribo is 25 this summer in his 3rd year at Rangers. Has he really kicked on and improved? Definitely not. Still incapable of playing in the middle of the park. He’ll probably stay because Gerrard loves him. The other 5 will be going unfortunately along with Kamara and one other first team player, probably Morelos 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

It’s crazy that we have Beale and Gerrard trying to drag us out of the excessive blood and guts mentality of Scottish football and make us a side who can be something better but some fans seem to be determined to keep us there.

You need a bit of steel in the spine of your team, particularly in Scotland in the winter months. We don’t have to turn into Aberdeen, but physicality and mentality are what drag you through a season almost as much as ability. 

I don’t think fans posting about it on RM have any bearing on Beale or Gerrard. 

Arteta looked like a 3.5 million pound football player by the time he left us, he was utterly shite the second season, phoned it in and was pushed about the place by just about every player he came up against.

Even in the first season he went missing for the winter, reappeared again for the summer. A pretty pish signing all in wasn't a huge fan of him. 

51 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

You need a bit of steel in the spine of your team, particularly in Scotland in the winter months. We don’t have to turn into Aberdeen, but physicality and mentality are what drag you through a season almost as much as ability. 

I don’t think fans posting about it on RM have any bearing on Beale or Gerrard. 

Of course you do, but people talking about wanting rid of an important and talented player like Barisic in favour of somebody who will “get stuck in” is crazy talk.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

It’s crazy that we have Beale and Gerrard trying to drag us out of the excessive blood and guts mentality of Scottish football and make us a side who can be something better but some fans seem to be determined to keep us there.

A balance needs to be struck. We remain a bit soft centred. StJ bullied us. We are not over endowed with strength and physicality. Even guile, when we struggle to open up those who sit in. 

Our achievement was mammoth this season, but next season is a new ball game, as the oppo changes personnel to improve and who for the most part have no respect for silky football or those who play. 

It doesn't take much for the tide to turn in football. Next season we go again. We need to strengthen to stay ahead of the pack. Learn the lessons. Address our weaknesses. 

We start from a good player base and a good management. Won't take much imo to identify and bring in what we need to more easily overcome what we struggle with domestically and to further improve in Europe. 

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

A goal every 2 games for Roofe this season and just turned 28 so isn’t even close to being 30. Getting unnecessary stick because he done a stupid run up for his penalty. 

There’s at least 6 players ahead of him that should be out the door first. Stewart, Jones, Zungu, Edmundson, Defoe and Aribo. 

Aribo is 25 this summer in his 3rd year at Rangers. Has he really kicked on and improved? Definitely not. Still incapable of playing in the middle of the park. He’ll probably stay because Gerrard loves him. The other 5 will be going unfortunately along with Kamara and one other first team player, probably Morelos 

Not Aribo's biggest fan however putting him in that list of players seems a bit harsh

Still incapable of playing in the middle of the park, would agree aye, in the same way if you put Roofe into midfield I think he'd be incapable of it also, it's not his or Aribo's best position 

Hes been put there a lot this season due to Arfield/Jack's injury problems & Zungu being a complete dud.

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Not Aribo's biggest fan however putting him in that list of players seems a bit harsh

Still incapable of playing in the middle of the park, would agree aye, in the same way if you put Roofe into midfield I think he'd be incapable of it also, it's not his or Aribo's best position 

Hes been put there a lot this season due to Arfield/Jack's injury problems & Zungu being a complete dud.

Roofe was signed as a striker, Aribo actually is a  midfielder.

3 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

:confused: did you watch the game? 

Obviously you didn't. 

Even shat it fay their keeper. Not like you could miss him! Big guy right enuff, so needed plenty space just to make sure he could bury it. 

Then our shrinking violets at the penalties. Just brimming with confidence, aye? 

It was only at Ibrox right enuff. 

Both the performance and the result tells all. 

We should have dispatched that shower of shite in 90 minutes, but the stuff wasn't there on the day. 

:confused:

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Obviously you didn't. 

Even shat it fay their keeper. Not like you could miss him! Big guy right enuff, so needed plenty space just to make sure he could bury it. 

Then our shrinking violets at the penalties. Just brimming with confidence, aye? 

It was only at Ibrox right enuff. 

Both the performance and the result tells all. 

We should have dispatched that shower of shite in 90 minutes, but the stuff wasn't there on the day. 

:confused:

Can you explain how they "bullied" Rangers during the game? 

Not at all convinced you watched the game. 

14 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Gattuso was  always a midfielder with us until Advocaat put him to left back which was absurd.  We signed him at 19 and he was sold when he was only 20.  

For me I'd definitely offload the 8 immediately below

Barker (1 year), Bassey (3 years), Zungu (loan end). Jones (2 years) , Edmundson (2 years) , Hastie (2 years) , Murphy (contract end), Stewart (contract end).

I'd also let Defoe go (contract end)  Too much money on a man approaching 39.

Others I wouldn't be particularly bothered about if they were sold on as long as we could get better replacements.  I'd also wonder about being able to get our transfer fees back.

Hagi  Too slow, too inconsistent and runs out of gas at 60 mins.

Roofe  Injury prone and when he misses a game or two he comes back like someone who has been out the game for a year.

Helander   Just far too slow for me.  Can't pass a ball anywhere upfield.

Itten  Doesn't get a game and doesn't fit in with our tactical formation.

Management need to decide on Middleton (2 years), Robbie McCrorie  (1 year)

22 hours ago, stevemac said:

Baffling.

First of all, Agree on barker, hastie, Murphy, Jones, Stewart. To a degree defoe.

Hagi - is inconsistent but the talent is there for all to see. He's stepped up enough times for us to show his worth.

Helander - ridiculous post. He isn't the quickest CB for sure, but he is probably the best. Very intelligent and good at reading the game. Goldson has better distribution and a better goal threat but helander is the better defender.

Roofe - we knew of his injury history, however he is a very talented player. He's scores 14 goals for us this season, not a bad return in his debut season. 

Itten - struggling to get a game due to the ever present morelos, roofe and defoe. Has struggled to adjust to us definitely but far too early to write him off.

Edmundson - again, far too early. Bombed out on loan as he needed game time and the covid breach didn't help him. 

Bassey - nothing wrong with him, debut season he was always going to make mistakes. Benefits from being understudy to the fantastic borna Barasic.

The fact that you would be happy to see us punt roofe and hagi before the likes of Middleton is bordering on mental.

Add to that the fact that those first 6, even if they all went, would not be enough to balance the books. At least one of our best players is likely to go IF we get a decent offer, I'd say £15M+. Unfortunately, this is how things are now and will be for the foreseeable future. Our transfer income will have to exceed our expenditure and we will have to rely on signing and developing players. A good transfer deal will be selling for more than a player cost us whether that be Kamara, Morelos or Kent, all of which I would hate to lose but needs must.