The squad

stewaj3

3 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Not going to go in too harsh here. The key objective of this season was 55. We delivered that. Unbelievable consistency in the league and a tremendous defensive record.

Fantastic in Europe too and we beat some really good sides. There is no doubt Gerrard has improved us year on year.

The cups have been disappointing and while I feel both st mirren and st johnstone were on decent form at the time we faced them, (St Johnstone in particular have been really good the last 3-6 months) we didn't perform anywhere near the expected levels.

I have at points praised our team and squad and often believed we've got quality in the first team and the bench...

I now have this feeling that I've been a wee bit kind to some of our players. Especially up top/midfield. I think we need investment as at times we look a bit one dimensional/predictable.

We have some players who at points have been great in Kent/Aribo/Hagi... Have they been consistent enough?

We've also got Davis and Kamara who have been tremendous all season... But don't offer a lot in terms of goal threat.

The likes of Jack and Arfield who have had injury problems.

Up top Morelos is still the main man, although a different role to previous years. Roofe has had some decent spells and Ittens shown the odd glimpse. Defoe while clinical, isn't getting any younger. I'd say we look a worse side when Morelos comes out the side.. which considering the players mentioned is worrying. 

Are we lacking a wee bit in these areas or am I thinking the worst after a disappointing night?

This is because of the role he has to play in our system, we don’t have another striker like him so the others will inevitably look shit when they come on for him. Which makes it all the more baffling we subbed him tonight unforced 

Itten was a penalty box striker in Switzerland, that role doesn’t exist in our team 

Roofe I’m not sure what he is. He isn’t a wide player, he isn’t a ten and he isn’t an out and out striker

No you are pretty much spot on. 

Of all the ones you mention Kent is the only one id be losing sleep over but even then if the offer was right he could go with my blessing. 

Gerrard needs to start buying players that fit directly into his system as too often he tries to shoe horn players into positions that arent suited to them imo. 

From what ive seen of roofe and itten they are nowhere near good enough to be putting pressure on morelos for his starting spot and that needs to change. Worrying that they cost almost 9m combined.

No player should be guaranteed a starting place in this team yet we are very weak in terms of strength in depth and quality in a number of key positions. 

We need another central midfielder desperately. Aribo isn’t the same when he’s in the middle 3.

Also Gerrard takes a lot of the blame with his rigid tactics. 
St Johnstone had clearly worked on their shape cos they knew exactly how we’d play and we didn’t have the answer.

Hagi plays to wide no point in putting him there it’s like having 10 men. Should’ve put him closer to Morelos and switched to 4231.

The problem is he brought Wright on and is never going to take Kent off so leaves a real lack of tactical switch. Aribo should never have played the whole game but had to cos Gerrard is too scared to change formation.

There's no player that I think... "Oh he's useless..."

But it wouldn't sadden me for us to move some of these boys on. Finish the season unbeaten and hopefully see a bit of movement. I do think Davis and Kamara have been brilliant, but sometimes (tonight) we absolutely need a midfielder to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. A real goal threat type.

I wonder if that was meant to be Aribo but he's so hit and miss.

Itten and Hagi for me are in the same bracket and to be honest... Probably more so... Wouldn't be sad for us to sell them for the right fee.

Think Scott Wright has shown he should start the remaining games. Also feel that while he's probably not the long term answer... Greg Stewart hasn't let us down and could have been brought on tonight and maybe made a difference..

15 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Not going to go in too harsh here. The key objective of this season was 55. We delivered that. Unbelievable consistency in the league and a tremendous defensive record.

Fantastic in Europe too and we beat some really good sides. There is no doubt Gerrard has improved us year on year.

The cups have been disappointing and while I feel both st mirren and st johnstone were on decent form at the time we faced them, (St Johnstone in particular have been really good the last 3-6 months) we didn't perform anywhere near the expected levels.

I have at points praised our team and squad and often believed we've got quality in the first team and the bench...

I now have this feeling that I've been a wee bit kind to some of our players. Especially up top/midfield. I think we need investment as at times we look a bit one dimensional/predictable.

We have some players who at points have been great in Kent/Aribo/Hagi... Have they been consistent enough?

We've also got Davis and Kamara who have been tremendous all season... But don't offer a lot in terms of goal threat.

Up top Morelos is still the main man, although a different role to previous years. Roofe has had some decent spells and Ittens shown the odd glimpse. Defoe while clinical, isn't getting any younger. I'd say we look a worse side when Morelos comes out the side.. which considering the players mentioned is worrying. 

Are we lacking a wee bit in these areas or am I thinking the worst after a disappointing night?

Nah I think that's pretty accurate and something a lot of us are guilty of a bit. We play with two number 10's but don't really have a number 10. We are badly missing that attacking midfielder type who can create and shoot behind the striker. Our system doesn't really accommodate that though. Think we have done well with what we have got. We are a strong possession based team with good possession holding players but we lack a cutting edge. That works really well in Europe but there is a lot.of room for improvement.

14 minutes ago, fin8577 said:

We need a midfielder that can grasp that game and is a genuine goal threat from distance.  We also need a right winger that can create and run at the defence like Kent does. 

We have one. For some reason we play with 10 men instead of using Wright though

The squad is still developing. The system we play doesn't lend itself to an out and out 30 goal a season no 9. The coaching team have developed Morelos' game to come short etc to allow the two tens to stretch the game or fill the space vacated by Morelos to either assist or score more. We still don't have the players at the club that are doing this regularly enough.

Better midfield options are needed also as we have seen tonight without Arfield and Jack we are light.

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Our biggest chance to win the cup in years and we blew it to a shower of shite at Ibrox. No fucking excuses. 55 or not. 

There won't be a 56 with the mentality on show. 

Get the slackers, the spineless and the not so gifted to fuck or the games a bogey. 

Sadly I think you are correct.

Too many players having too many off days. Kent has been poor for a lot of games this season, same with Aribo. Roofe hasnt been the since before his injury. The likes of Simpson are nowhere near good enough for this team. I'd say the same about Balogun tbh 

4 hours ago, Madina said:

Too many players having too many off days. Kent has been poor for a lot of games this season, same with Aribo. Roofe hasnt been the since before his injury. The likes of Simpson are nowhere near good enough for this team. I'd say the same about Balogun tbh 

Balogun has been a great free transfer. Kent has been our only spark lately. Aribo is hit or miss I like him but understand the criticism. Even at the start I wasn't a big fan of roofe, he's been awful since Xmas I'd get rid of him. Simpson looks shite so far.

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Sadly I think you are correct.

As crazy as it sounds after winning the league there is a lack of confidence and belief among this squad when the going gets tough.

Two absolutely stinking cup defeats when the biggest obstacle has already been removed. 

Gerrard needs to get this bang on in the summer and add some real quality. 

Defensively things are pretty good although hopefully Katic comes back strong because Simpson looks too lightweight. Tav could just as easily have as bad a season as he has good this one.

Midfield has problems. Jack can’t be relied on and Kamara and Davis are both lovely at keeping the ball but offer very little going forward. We need real quality in the middle. 

Morelos if still here needs to get back to some sort of explosive best but he can’t seem to do it over a full season. His fitness levels need worked on. 

Roofe and Itten aren’t really going to do it over a season either - not the real quality we need up front. 

Gerrard needs to find the best positions for Hagi and Aribo. Both talented but have one decent game in three or four. 

Wright looks decent but the midfielder on his way from Bournemouth hasn’t managed to get In Wycombe’s side and is now injured - maybe one for the future but not going to enhance things much in the shorter term.

Over the moon with the title win but two needless cup exits have taken the shine off things. Gerrard has to get quality in, if he thinks what he’s got can retain the title next season then it will go wrong and if he pans the squad out with the same calibre we’ve got already then he’ll fuck it. 

7 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Our biggest chance to win the cup in years and we blew it to a shower of shite at Ibrox. No fucking excuses. 55 or not. 

There won't be a 56 with the mentality on show. 

Get the slackers, the spineless and the not so gifted to fuck or the games a bogey. 

We haven’t lost a league game all season what would make you think there won’t be a 56?

A sitting midfielder in a similar mold to Jack. Maybe not always required at Ibrox, but we need a bit more steel in midfield for difficult away games and in Europe.

A right sided attacker/ winger.

Gerrard to use our subs better, I thought he had learned after the Benfica fiasco but continues poor use of substitutions.

St Johnstone used their subs wisely yesterday. Getting a lot of running out of their forwards then replacing them with fresh legs. This included bringing on a quick player upfront to play against a tiring Helandar. 

We were limited in midfield options but Itten should of been on for Kent at 90 minutes, and if not after 90 minutes then definitely after we scored. He would have provided more energy up front and be another tall player for defending corners and set plays.

Kent's one of our best players but is understandably less effective towards the end of games due to the amount of running he does during the game.

8 minutes ago, MarcusDa Beasley said:

Have I been listening too much to Stephen Craigan or is Ali McCann worth a punt? Full of running and gives our midfield problems every time I see him. Much needed cover for Jack potentially.

Every time i’ve seen him i’ve thought he’s looked very good.

7 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

We need a powerful driving force midfielder. Kamara and Davis are great at retaining possession but it usually just goes from left to right. Somebody who can pick it up and just advanced 15-20 yards and force the attack would be great.

In a nutshell.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve screamed “SHOOT!” when at the edge of the box but we seem determined to walk it into the net.

And St Johnstone showed how to press our lines and the best way to counter that is a midfielder willing and capable of carrying the ball and running at a defence, a bit like Rogic does for the filth.

Above all, though, we need depth and options in midfield. If I see Aribo in a midfield three again, I’ll scream. I honestly believe we’d be better with McCrorie or Docherty in there. If Jack played last night, we’d have won imo.

Give Wright the rest of the season ahead of Hagi and Aribo and get a minimum of two, first-team-ready midfielders in ASAP.

9 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

For me the consistency has been an issue all year .Goldson,Tav and Kamara the only 3 who have been at it most of the season .Davis has been decent too but for large parts of the early part of the season he wasn’t quite up there with the other 3 .

Then we can go onto the rest .Almost everybody else has had bursts of really good form .Then fade away again for a a few months .Kent was on fire for first 2 months ,then was average at best for a large part of the season then came back into a game around February.Hagi been average most of the season apart from good form December and January .Morelos too was poor most of the season but also had few really good months late winter .

You could well be thinking the worse after that game .It highlights what we can be like when 3 of our match winners have a dip in form .

Goalkeepers - fine

Defenders - get rid of Edmundson and Bassey. Possibly try get Doig from Hibs as long term replacement for Borna.

Midfielders - Bring in  At least 2 quality midfielders (a big physical CDM and a box to box/ playmaker) to start beside Kamara.

Jack (if fit) and Davis obviously there to supplement

Out - Aribo, Arfield ( if possible) 

Forwards - A proven right/left sided forward, enough with shoehorning players in.

A  pacy striker.

Out - Stewart,Defoe,Barker,Hastie,Jones and Hagi.

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Goalkeepers - fine

Defenders - get rid of Edmundson, Katic and Bassey. Possibly try get Doig from Hibs as long term replacement for Borna.

Midfielders - Bring in  At least 2 quality midfielders (a big physical CDM and a box to box/ playmaker) to start beside Kamara.

Jack (if fit) and Davis obviously there to supplement

Out - Aribo, Arfield ( if possible) 

Forwards - A proven right/left sided forward, enough with shoehorning players in.

A  pacy striker.

Out - Stewart,Defoe,Barker,Hastie,Jones and Hagi.

I agree with all that now