Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheered the loudest when he scored. What an amazing professional been a pleasure to watch him wear the shirt. 

Posted Images

Defoe says he has another year of playing in him and wants to play. Who can argue with that for any footballer?

Love the guy, his attitude and his professionalism - as well as his footballing ability.

Guys like Jermain Defoe and Clint Hill are a great asset to any club and an example of what younger players should aspire to, being a Ranger on and off the pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Defoe will not be our next manager. 

You're probably right.

Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could be managing a football team in 3 years? 

Gerrard was managing Rangers about 18mths after retiring as a player and having had 1 year as an under 18 coach. 

Not too sure why you get so easily amazed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Defoe is a class act so what happens next will be dictated by what he wants to happen e.g. if he wants to continue playing on and getting regular minutes, he needs to move on.  If he wants to move into coaching, then he may stay and what a class act to have young strikers learn from here. 

With books needing balanced, I’m slightly concerned we could be paying a chunky wage to someone no longer playing much in the first team though so we can’t be sentimental. 

NorthernLights likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Amazes me the thought process that must go into stuff like the above. 

I don't think it's a transition to our next manager but I do think he'd bring a lot to the table from a coaching point of view. He's a model professional and lives an extremely clean lifestyle which has enabled him to play at a high level for so long and for the right wages (for us) I think his knowledge could be advantageous to our younger players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Amazes me the thought process that must go into stuff like the above. 

Your easily amazed, it's obvious why Defoe was here in the first place. Was due to more than just his previous football history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to balance out the desire to be loyal to players with the need to be ruthless with our wages. If Defoe is still anywhere near the contract he was being touted as being on at Bournemouth I wouldn't entertain a new deal. I love the guy, but for 10-15 games a season we can't be spending anything upwards of £10k per week on a player and even that's maybe too high. A player/coach role maybe makes him better value for money, apparently his work with the youth players isn't going unnoticed at Auchenhowie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s clearly an all round good guy and has been a great player throughout his career, but if we want to progress as a club I don’t really see what he has to offer in a playing sense. We can’t afford to pay wages for sentimentality.

Coaching? Dunno.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, left winger said:

He’s clearly an all round good guy and has been a great player throughout his career, but if we want to progress as a club I don’t really see what he has to offer in a playing sense. We can’t afford to pay wages for sentimentality.

Coaching? Dunno.

I would keep him on a much lower wage and bump it up with bonuses and appearance money. He is a wealthy man and can afford to take a financial hit for first team football. He would be good as cover. He does really well as a super sub imo.

There is no room for sentimality though. If he doesn't take a wage cut it is time to say goodbye. 

As for a coaching role he has a wealth of experience and all the youngsters speak highly of him and say he goes out of his way to encourage them. 

I only wish he had signed for us years ago. His shot is lethal and he is always in the right place. Reminds me of Ally at times.

Even if Defoe goes he will leave with an iconic piece of silverware and will always be remembered as part of the legandary squad that won title 55. 

graeme_4 and GaryMc like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I would keep him on a much lower wage and bump it up with bonuses and appearance money. He is a wealthy man and can afford to take a financial hit for first team football. He would be good as cover. He does really well as a super sub imo.

There is no room for sentimality though. If he doesn't take a wage cut it is time to say goodbye. 

As for a coaching role he has a wealth of experience and all the youngsters speak highly of him and say he goes out of his way to encourage them. 

I only wish he had signed for us years ago. His shot is lethal and he is always in the right place. Reminds me of Ally at times.

Even if Defoe goes he will leave with an iconic piece of silverware and will always be remembered as part of the legandary squad that won title 55. 

You've pretty much summed up my feelings towards Defoe staying.

I think it is hard because he's such a great professional and genuine good guy but if we want to dominate for a number of years these are the hard decision we need to make to ensure we keep moving forward as a club. 

On an acceptable wage and if there was a coaching position needing filled I'd be happy for him to stay though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

We’ve just signed a striker who only started playing professional football a couple of years ago. What price do you put on giving Sakala a year alongside an outstanding role model like Defoe?

This is what I think mate. Reckon he's been crucial in calming Alfie down and helping him with his overall game.

Could be wrong, just an impression I've got.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sorry I like Defoe but fuck me have we learned nothing? We cannot possibly offer a 38 year old anything near even 20-30k a week, simple as that. 
 

We can’t simply offer Defoe a new contract, he’s scored 3 goals this season ffs. He gets a new contract if he accepts he’s part of the coaching staff. If he believes he has another year then he moves on. We cannot pay that kind of money for that return. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

I’m sorry I like Defoe but fuck me have we learned nothing? We cannot possibly offer a 38 year old anything near even 20-30k a week, simple as that. 
 

We can’t simply offer Defoe a new contract, he’s scored 3 goals this season ffs. He gets a new contract if he accepts he’s part of the coaching staff. If he believes he has another year then he moves on. We cannot pay that kind of money for that return. 

Hes supposedly not even on this money on his current deal, why on earth would we offer him a pay rise? He's also scored 6 this season in 18 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found

×
×
  • Create New...