Stick or twist?

It's time to twist, not stick.

Get into the Champs League group stages and we'll make a mint.

I'm not even talking about qualifying next season (although that would be nice), its the the following year which is important.

For me,  it's all about winning the league next year again. Thats all that matters. We win that and we go straight in to the Group Stages and are guaranteed £30m +

That is more than enough to pay all the salaries to keep all our best players on renegotiated contracts for next season.

A simplistic way of looking at the figures: Even If you gave each and every squad member a half million £ bonus for the next two seasons we'd still have £6m+ spare.

Plus, win the league again and the players collective values will rise further.

Clubs eyeing our players will be looking to buy serial winners. 

1 minute ago, don logan said:

I think we'll be selling a couple of players in the summer to fund new signings. I think we have to and we won't be spending everything we generate in sales. Budgets for next season should be set around Europa League qualification.

Buy players, add value, sell them on is our only sustainable strategy.

Just now, SIRB_72 said:

Why not do both?

I'm pretty sure we enter at the 3rd qualifying stage which means we only have 4 games to navigate and only effects the first month of the season.

I'd put everything in August to getting to the CL. Though a good start in the league and CL is very achievable considering the squad play much better playing midweek and at the weekend!

Yep, but if we don't it's not the be all and end all. Point is, if we keep this team together we (should) win the league next season. That means we are guaranteed CL group stages. No if's or but's....straight in! 

IMO that's worth throwing money at our best players rather than cashing in on them. If we do qualify for the Group stages then all the better. Means we can seriously upgrade the squad whilst reducing operating loses.  

It’s a very interesting summer ahead.

Im sure we’ll sell one of Kent Barisic Kamara Hagi or Morelos.

We spent a lot last season so will need a return somewhere. The problem is the Champions League.

I think it’s worth the risk to keep these players for the qualifiers and if we don’t make it at least 2 of our higher values players will be away.

8 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Buy players, add value, sell them on is our only sustainable strategy.

Is it though? Surely consistent Champions league qualification is more valuable. 

Not saying buying well, adding value, and selling on doesn’t have its place - but we don’t want to lose our best players every year or we’ll end up like the filth across the city.

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Is it though? Surely consistent Champions league qualification is more valuable. 

Not saying buying well, adding value, and selling on doesn’t have its place - but we don’t want to lose our best players every year or we’ll end up like the filth across the city.

Of course not but we have to be realistic.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

David Murray’s strategy to balance the books was CL qualification at least once every two years which went well for a while. I think we’re in a fantastic position as the possibility to get into the CL twice in a row is quite unique and very achievable for us.
Qualify we keep, fail we’ll sell and yes that was their strategy but we’re born winners and can grasp this over the next two years and beyond with the right decisions made throughout the club.

Qualifying
22 June 2021: Preliminary round semi-finals
25 June 2021: Preliminary round final

6/7 & 13/14 July 2021: First qualifying round

20/21 & 27/28 July 2021: Second qualifying round

31 July: SPFL starting weekend

3/4 & 10 August 2021: Third qualifying round

17/18 & 24/25 August 2021: Play-offs

Mental that this year's League was possibly the biggest league title in our history, now next season's league carries just as much. I think unless astronomical bids come in then we have a gentleman's agreement that nobody is sold until champions League qualification.

The board have provided and in a way, gambled a bit to stop the ten)win 55. We have to be grateful for that but it's not sustainable. We need to speculate to accumulate with transfers and combine with European money.

2 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Qualifying
22 June 2021: Preliminary round semi-finals
25 June 2021: Preliminary round final

6/7 & 13/14 July 2021: First qualifying round

20/21 & 27/28 July 2021: Second qualifying round

31 July: SPFL starting weekend

3/4 & 10 August 2021: Third qualifying round

17/18 & 24/25 August 2021: Play-offs

So we come in at 3rd qualifying round 3/4th August?

Just now, Bad Robot said:

Yes I believe so.

Mind the days when we finished 2nd and 3rd and had to play Europe league qualifiers 15 minutes after the season ended. Now we have no football for months. Disgusting behaviour from Rangers raising the coefficient imo. 

2 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Doubling down financially seeking European success worked well under Minty.

Targeting automatic qualification by winning the league next year isn't really doubling down...it seems obvious we need to temper our sustainable 'buy low, sell high' model for 12 months to give us the very best chance to gain direct entry into the CL.

Once we are in, the financial side of things starts to take care of itself. Then when can really make a killing as a selling club ( i hate that phrase but thats the reality) and reinvest a huge chunk of money into the playing squad, stadium etc whilst paying the bills and eradicating financial loss.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We cannot afford to keep spending the way we are. It is too much of a risk.

I would have thought people had learned lessons over the past 20 years.

We don't need to buy. Arguably our 2 best players this season were free transfers.

Paying bigger wages to keep our best players is good practice as you are ring fencing your assets and ensuring a bigger pay day when they are flogged.

I reckon Morelos is definitely offski, plus some of the dead wood. I don't expect Kamara or Kent to go, certainly not before the CL qualifiers.

We need to become a club who isn't afraid of selling players for fear you can't replace them - for the most part, it was something we had issues with in the past, we more often than not kept assets too long and their value decreased. 

There was an element of context to these departures but our fanbase lost their minds previously when we sold players like Boumsong, Miller, Thomson, Cullear - and rightly so in some in cases because they were sold short but in the case of Boumsong and Cullar in particular they were replaced and we did add more quality across the squad through their departures, we did also move on from Miller and Thomson, there is always other players around that can be found, we don't exclusively need our entire current squad to progress. 

If, if for instance we sell Kamara for 8/10 million this summer, we should have a decent degree of confidence we can find a player equal to him or better for 2/3 million. 

Kamara is the one I definitely WOULDN'T sell.

Our midfield is desperately short on numbers so losing him we would need to find at least three or four new ready-to-start players.

I like Hagi but he is expendable as is Helander if Katic is on the way back and we believe in our youngsters.