Stick or twist?

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Hope the budget isnt set around europa league qualification as we have needed the board to top us up even with europa league nevermind the potential of limited crowds etc

That plus player sales.

53 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Player(s) need to be sold this summer. The club can’t continue to operate the way it is. Replacing them well becomes key.

This worries me a bit as there's not one player who would command a decent fee that I would be happy to accept being sold.

Hope we can find a way to hold out for one more season whilst still spending a bit on a couple of improvements.

7 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

This worries me a bit as there's not one player who would command a decent fee that I would be happy to accept being sold.

Hope we can find a way to hold out for one more season whilst still spending a bit on a couple of improvements.

But that’s life operating as a big club in Scotland. Player trading is an essential part of our model. Current forecasts as per accounts is that next season we need £15m of external funding just to see out the season, and that’s before we buy a single player. Historically, even with EL group stages we’ve needed £10m+.

Of course, Champions League qualification is a game changer however the final qualifier is 5 days before the window ends so they wont be able to take that gamble.

You can see from the most recent share issue the cornerstone investors like Park, Taylor, Letham, Bennett didn’t really take part so the well is clearly empty and unsurprisingly given since 2015 they’ve put c.£80m in. 

Theres definitely savings to be made wage wise, lets be honest we have a massive pool that this season has seen only patteraonbe required from youth to actually play, and its arguable if he would have given balogun was put out to right back before him 

So losing guys like jones, stewart, edmundson, hastie, middleton, zungu, thats 6 first team wage players off the bill, thats a decent wedge we can spend somewhere else

Selling wise, we need to be careful, its alright saying kamara for x amount, but the midfield isnt exactly young when you take arfield and davis into the equation, theres always the worry that the next season will be the "one too many" for their age, if jack was injury free you'd be more positive but his record is poor fitness wise, so if kamara goes we need a replacement who'll come in and immediately slot in, not wait a year as we might not have it

So that really leaves up front where we could make our money, ala kent and buff, and while we want both to stay, its the position that we have settled cover in right now, if we got a combined 40mill for kent and buff the board would accept both bids i think, especially as thats 2 years of board funding right there

2 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Selling Borna seems to be the obvious one given his age and fact he’ll be at Euros in summer, selling Borna and Hagi would more than cover the shortfall, Sakala takes Hagis place in squad and I’d like to sign Doig if Borna goes. 

We shouldnt underestimate the influence borna has on our game, we dont have another left back close to his ability, and i honestly dont think doig or anyone would come in and come close to him, especially not in time for the CL qualifiers 

This is what Stewart Robertson said in December:

Rangers need to sell players next summer to help boost the club's financial position, says managing director Stewart Robertson.

The club posted a £15.9m loss and need £23m by the end of next season, which will be covered by loans from chairman Douglas Park and director John Bennett.

Robertson told shareholders at the club's annual general meeting that more money was needed from transfers.

"We have to really focus on that over the next 12 months," he said.

"We know for the business model of the club we need to start moving one or two players a year.

"It won't be a big turnover in the squad but that is something we need to do and something we're really focused on for the summer."

Rangers' revenue increased by 11% last year, in large part because of a strong run to the Europa League last 16

But Bennett says the club will not be pushed into selling players for anything less than their value, with a bid for striker Alfredo Morelos from Lille turned down in the summer.

"It has to reflect our valuation," he said. "And if that is the case, we'll have a decision to make.

"While player trading is the important fourth pillar to our model, we have not got ourselves in a position where we have to sell to validate the model. That's not the case."

Champions league is never a guarantee so we need to plan as if we don't make it, that way anything extra is a bonus. We don't have ever ending supply of money so sales are pivotal to how we run our business unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We shouldnt underestimate the influence borna has on our game, we dont have another left back close to his ability, and i honestly dont think doig or anyone would come in and come close to him, especially not in time for the CL qualifiers 

Aye mate I rate Barisic highly it’s just his age and potential of a good euros that kind of makes him the sensible option to cash in on, if we don’t cash in this summer his value is only going to go down.