Colt teams into Lowland League

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mmm do you watch many games at that level?  I played in every professional league in scotland albeit briefly in Premier and spent 8 yrs in Ayrshire juniors at a decent level and believe me the juniors

most good lowland league teams would beat league 2 sides  we will see that soon when kelty fuck brechin city

The ones who are good enough to play at a much higher level will. The boys who are out at L2 clubs now will stick with the Colts and keep all of their coaching in-house.

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Interesting but think our young players would far benefit from being out on loan to championship sides. League 2 is fucking honking football so god knows how bad Lowland is week in week out.

The ones who are good enough to play at a much higher level will. The boys who are out at L2 clubs now will stick with the Colts and keep all of their coaching in-house.

Just now, The Dude said:

Thought the coaching was in-house at any part time side? Kids only show up for the 1 or 2 training sessions a week with their loan side.

15 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Interesting but think our young players would far benefit from being out on loan to championship sides. League 2 is fucking honking football so god knows how bad Lowland is week in week out.

Surely it is better if they play and train together rather than being fucked out on loan and maybe not playing in the system we want them to

Mesmer and The Dude like this
1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Surely it is better if they play and train together rather than being fucked out on loan and maybe not playing in the system we want them to

Aye can see our style of play and tactical system working wonders against the plumbers and labourers of Vale of Leithen.....

League football below the championship in this country is not upto the standard our kids should be playing in.

bennyali likes this
22 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Thought the coaching was in-house at any part time side? Kids only show up for the 1 or 2 training sessions a week with their loan side.

Up to a point. There will still be matchdays and usually a session a week with the PT team. We'll control every aspect of their work. 

27 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

It's called Rangers B team now, not the colts. 

Much prefer the idea of playing against Europe's elite B squads.

Europe's elite B is still nothing games. Low level or not it's getting the youth players playing in competitive games with something at stake every week. That will benefit them more than friendlies.

I'm assuming youth football will be limited for the next 6-12 months so we're basically paying to guarantee our younger prospects - who aren't ready to go on loan to the Championship - a regular game. Makes sense as a one-season solution though, ultimately, I hope we can get a permanent 'colt' side into the pyramid and up to the Championship. 

NorthernLights likes this

Ideally we'd have liked our youngsters to go into league 2 and work up but the lowland league has some pretty good teams in it and they will be given a good game by a handful of clubs, however the teams nearer the bottom a generally very poor. 

Cove Rangers(I know cove played in the Highland league) and Edinburgh City have come into the league through the pyramid system and have improved the standard. Cove getting promoted and then finishing 3rd in league 1 so there is some really good teams from these leagues. Kelty hearts will be the next team to join the league set up. 

For 1 or 2 seasons I think it's a good idea but ultimately the league needs to open up to the idea of allowing a B team. 

magic8ball and billscott like this
15 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Aye can see our style of play and tactical system working wonders against the plumbers and labourers of Vale of Leithen.....

League football below the championship in this country is not upto the standard our kids should be playing in.

Doesnt matter if other teams setup to stifle it, the winning most likely isnt the most important part of the colts team, its to get the young teams playing regularly, and it would be better if it was in the system they might need to fill in for the top team when their time comes

Imagine patterson went out on loan to a team playing 451 and hoofed it up the park, he'd learn absolutely nothing to be able to fill in for tav

bennyali likes this

My only concern would be the risk of injury. Look at the way many of the teams played against us in the lower leagues whilst we were working our way back up (and also some of the PL teams). Our first team squad were savvy enough to know how to take care of themselves and some still got crocked. Would our youngsters survive against the hammer throwers? Unless the standard of refereeing is greatly improved (no laughing at the back!), I would rather not risk it.

5 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

If the Div 2 teams don't want us then I can see no harm in going up through the pyramid system via the Lowland League.

That's not the problem, that's supposedly still on the cards for the season after.

khancat likes this

Club think it's vital for the continued improvent of our youth players, I'll go with their opinion thx.

Also, interesting comments regards SPFL & SFA approach to this, or lack thereof 

magic8ball likes this
20 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

Europe's elite B is still nothing games. Low level or not it's getting the youth players playing in competitive games with something at stake every week. That will benefit them more than friendlies.

The Dutch don’t agree with you, at their age it’s about learning how to play, not winning some cloggers league.