Colt teams into Lowland League

8 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

I meant the Dutch are more concerned with youngsters learning skills than winning things

They're more concerned at a much younger age with teaching them technique. That's most of European coaching. Soon as they get to 17/18 they need real professional level games not phoney friendlies with the same age group. 

Don’t know if this is good or not. Would they not be better going out on loan to League 2/1, Championship sides or staying in the U20s and playing against other U20s teams? 

A few seasons ago did the youth teams not just play solely against European opposition and did well? 

Once they get in there it will establish their legitimacy to be involved in a competitive Scottish league. 

Progression from there, especially if successful, would be a no brainer.

And then the  only way is up for a potential Rangers second team in the Scottish leagues

23 hours ago, bluenoz said:

It's called Rangers B team now, not the colts. 

Much prefer the idea of playing against Europe's elite B squads.

I would also much prefer our first team playing against Europe elite "A" squads too, will probably happen in the near future. 

1 hour ago, GRFC96 said:

Don’t know if this is good or not. Would they not be better going out on loan to League 2/1, Championship sides or staying in the U20s and playing against other U20s teams? 

A few seasons ago did the youth teams not just play solely against European opposition and did well? 

Some prospects can. Depends what the staff think is best for them. But we still have a team back here who are playing reserve teams so may as well let those guys play competitive games 

29 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Once they get in there it will establish their legitimacy to be involved in a competitive Scottish league. 

Progression from there, especially if successful, would be a no brainer.

And then the  only way is up for a potential Rangers second team in the Scottish leagues

The Scottish league has already knocked o/f b teams participation back mate,  part of the agreement of playing in this league will most likely be we cant be promoted.

Struggling to see any merit in this tbh, if the point is playing competitive football then the level of football needs to be competitive.

Just now, We Will Follow Rangers said:

The Scottish league has already knocked o/f colt teams participation back mate,  part of the agreement of playing in this league will most likely be we cant be promoted.

Struggling to see any merit in this tbh, if the point is playing competitive football then the level of football needs to be competitive.

Would be interesting to see how they coped at the end of a season where we had been very successful, or even different class.

Obviously we would not be allowed to have a colts team in direct competition at any stage, but the precedent is already successful in a lot of the European leagues with the condition that the 2nd or colts team does not compete directly  with the 1st team.

(As an aside, wonder what would happen in Europe if the "A" team got relegated to the same league as their colts, would the "B" teamthen drop a league ? )

And just for interest Real Madrid also once played their "B" team in a Spanish cup final, which allowed their "B" team in to European competition) 

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

Would be interesting to see how they coped at the end of a season where we had been very successful, or even different class.

Obviously we would not be allowed to have a colts team in direct competition at any stage, but the precedent is already successful in a lot of the European leagues with the condition that the 2nd or colts team does not compete directly  with the 1st team.

(As an aside, wonder what would happen in Europe if the "A" team got relegated to the same league as their colts, would the "B" teamthen drop a league ? )

And just for interest Real Madrid also once played their "B" team in a Spanish cup final, which allowed their "B" team in to European competition) 

Plain daft decision not to allow our B team in the scottish league set up, would have been beneficial for all of scottish football, hopefully this is only a stop gap until that decision gets reversed, just cant see the benefit, ideally. a cross border b teams league would be a much better option.

1 minute ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

Plain daft decision not to allow our B team in the scottish league set up, would have been beneficial for all of scottish football, hopefully this is only a stop gap until that decision gets reversed, just cant see the benefit, ideally. a cross border b teams league would be a much better option.

To be honest, I no longer care about "beneficial for all of Scottish football", am very biased on this, but I guess it would.

It just makes sense on so many levels for us to have a competitive B team.

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

To be honest, I no longer care about "beneficial for all of Scottish football", am very biased on this, but I guess it would.

It just makes sense on so many levels for us to have a competitive B team.

It would also be very beneficial to us, the "beneficial for all of Scottish football", part should have been enough for clubs to back it but once again Scottish football giving too much power to nothing clubs sets us back

10 hours ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

The Scottish league has already knocked o/f b teams participation back mate,  part of the agreement of playing in this league will most likely be we cant be promoted.

Lowland League is more competitive than playing closed doors bounce games against other kids. 

45 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Lowland League is more competitive than playing closed doors bounce games against other kids. 

I get that but its hardly ideal in terms of standard, we could get a competitive game in the boys brigade sunday league but wont do any more to develop our players. than an indoor bounce games v other professional footballers

45 minutes ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

I get that but its hardly ideal in terms of standard, we could get a competitive game in the boys brigade sunday league but wont do any more to develop our players. than an indoor bounce games v other professional footballers

But we're talking about playing against plfayers here who are, in many cases, former full-time pros who have the experience to really challenge our young players, playing in games that have actual consequences. 

1 hour ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

Think you’re vastly underestimating the Lowland League. 

Kelty Hearts etc would beat most of the sides in League 2 easily

Is there anything stoping us from what Salzburg have done with Liefering and take over a team in lowland league. 

Transfer the contracts to them and include first option on all players for Rangers. Can choose all managers, coaches, philosophy etc 

As it’s a feeder team wouldn’t be allowed to be promoted to premiership and saves all the messing about with diddy clubs.

14 hours ago, LochendBilly said:

I liked the old reserve league that mirrored the top league. Used to go regular to Ibrox or the Albion to watch them.

That came in in the mid 50s?

I know before that post-War that the top reserve sides played in the C Division alongside first teams of newer league entrants like Stirling Albion and Stranraer, which is why I find it ironic that some clubs don't want this. They literally got into the SFL by coming into a league where the numbers were made up by 'A' sides. I think before the reserve mirror league came in it had gone to a North and East C Division and a South and West C Division. Our 'A' team won the latter a few times. 

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

That came in in the mid 50s?

I know before that post-War that the top reserve sides played in the C Division alongside first teams of newer league entrants like Stirling Albion and Stranraer, which is why I find it ironic that some clubs don't want this. They literally got into the SFL by coming into a league where the numbers were made up by 'A' sides. I think before the reserve mirror league came in it had gone to a North and East C Division and a South and West C Division. Our 'A' team won the latter a few times. 

I cannae go back that far :lol: It was in the 70's that I went.