Colt teams into Lowland League

Just now, The Dude said:

Rock arse bottom of L2 and likely to be in the Highland league next season. The difference from L2 to LL/HL is negligible. 

To be honest, I think Kelty and EK would be likely to finish top end of L2. EK in particular are looking to actually push up the leagues with some decent investment and are desperate to get into the proper leagues.

Just now, The Dude said:

Whether they are part of the SPFL or not, they would still be a part of the league pyramid. 

The three youth players in the squad was pointless and hated by clubs as it simply saw them rush players through to meet a quota.

There already are fans inside, promotion and relegation has been tried (and failed badly) and none of those provide the players the opportunity to play competitive games against experienced players. 

The 3 over 18 rule I meant was older players playing alongside the youth players many years ago. Not the 3 u18 rule which as you said was a complete waste of time. There are fans inside but barely any as they are held in training grounds. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Rock arse bottom of L2 and likely to be in the Highland league next season. The difference from L2 to LL/HL is negligible. 

I'd say on the evidence of Cove quite a few of these lowland and highland teams are better than the sides in L1/2.  Really though it's not the quality they tend to struggle with it's having to toughen up.

You were moaning about our players playing against part time labourers just a few posts ago. 

Part time labourers who are nothing but hatchet men. They get found out the higher up they go in the league. League 1,2,lowland and highland are packed full of them.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

The 3 over 18 rule I meant was older players playing alongside the youth players many years ago. Not the 3 u18 rule which as you said was a complete waste of time. There are fans inside but barely any as they are held in training grounds. 

The reserve and u20 league allowed six overage players to be played. A lot reserve games are held in stadiums. Games being held at training grounds doesn't stop fans attending either. 

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

To be honest, I think Kelty and EK would be likely to finish top end of L2. EK in particular are looking to actually push up the leagues with some decent investment and are desperate to get into the proper leagues.

They probably would. Which is why I think the difference in negligible between the two leagues overall. 

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Part time labourers who are nothing but hatchet men. They get found out the higher up they go in the league. League 1,2,lowland and highland are packed full of them.

But those part timers in the championship are a different breed of part timer? 

They probably would. Which is why I think the difference in negligible between the two leagues overall. 

Get the feeling there is a bit of a gulf between some of the clubs in the Lowland League to be fair. Your top end clubs have aspirations to make it into the top flights and develop as real clubs. There are however some others that feel more like glorified 5-aside teams. I think the latter of these are probably somewhat below the likes of Arbroath.

Just now, The Dude said:

The reserve and u20 league allowed six overage players to be played. A lot reserve games are held in stadiums. Games being held at training grounds doesn't stop fans attending either. 

Training grounds aren't necessarily the best locations for travelling to. Reserve leagues were a farce. U20s before that were worse.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Get the feeling there is a bit of a gulf between some of the clubs in the Lowland League to be fair. Your top end clubs have aspirations to make it into the top flights and develop as real clubs. There are however some others that feel more like glorified 5-aside teams. I think the latter of these are probably somewhat below the likes of Arbroath.

The same can be said for some of the SPFL clubs (Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath etc) They may well be beneath the level of Arbroath but the bulk of our 16/17/18 year olds simply aren't up to playing at that level yet anyway. Getting them out playing in the tiers below will help them push on and teach that level quicker. 

Just now, esquire8 said:

Training grounds aren't necessarily the best locations for travelling to. Reserve leagues were a farce. U20s before that were worse.

No worse than many of the stadiums I've had to travel to. Easier to get to Auchenhowie or Oriam than it is Dumbarton or East Fife's grounds. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But those part timers in the championship are a different breed of part timer? 

Undoubtedly hence why they are paid more and are in a higher league. Part timers who are part time because they make more money working and playing football than just playing football.

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

So if the reserve and u20 league was a farce and so are B teams, what is it you want done? 

Just now, esquire8 said:

Undoubtedly hence why they are paid more and are in a higher league. Part timers who are part time because they make more money working and playing football than just playing football.

Part timers at Alloa (in the Championship) make more or less the same as part timers at Montrose (League One)