YPOY

Well deserved for Doig think Patterson would’ve won it had he played more, think we need to sign this lad we can’t let him go from right under our noses impressed every time he played against us this season, with him Patterson and potentially young Leon King we could have the nucleus of a strong home grown back line for years to come. 

Sorry to be pedantic but if we go and buy Doig he wouldn't be home grown. That said I agree the lad is a talent. The problem is he is not going to go to a team where he is not guaranteed first team football most games as that us what he has now.  It is easier to keep someone who has come through our ranks like Patterson happy being in the squad but this lad is used to first team football at a good level, unless an increase salary, potential CL football and league winners medals would be enough to attract him to come and fight for a starting place. 

3 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Sorry to be pedantic but if we go and buy Doig he wouldn't be home grown. That said I agree the lad is a talent. The problem is he is not going to go to a team where he is not guaranteed first team football most games as that us what he has now.  It is easier to keep someone who has come through our ranks like Patterson happy being in the squad but this lad is used to first team football at a good level, unless an increase salary, potential CL football and league winners medals would be enough to attract him to come and fight for a starting place. 

He’d count as home grown in future for Euro squads not club trained tho, we need more Scottish players to avoid having to put the likes of Gregg Stewart in Euro squads, don’t think a season or two learning under Borna while still getting plenty game time would be a bad thing, we might also get an offer for Borna in the summer, just think we’ll regret it if this lad slips through the net he’s arguably played better against us than Andy Robertson did at a similar age and against a far stronger Rangers side. 

50 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

He’d count as home grown in future for Euro squads not club trained tho, we need more Scottish players to avoid having to put the likes of Gregg Stewart in Euro squads, don’t think a season or two learning under Borna while still getting plenty game time would be a bad thing, we might also get an offer for Borna in the summer, just think we’ll regret it if this lad slips through the net he’s arguably played better against us than Andy Robertson did at a similar age and against a far stronger Rangers side. 

Got you. Misunderstood your home grown context. I wasn't suggesting we shouldn't try to get the lad, my point was more about if he wod see it as an attractive move. If he is happy to be a squad player and fight for his ace he may consider it  if he wants to go somewhere where he is guaranteed first team football most weeks then he might not want to come. Your point about Borna moving on is a very valid one and could be a selling point to Doig, that his period of understudy to Borna might be only 1 season or even less. 

I fear he would end up at the fiddlers and news today that young mccann at Saints is being scouted by them too. He's another that always looks very capable when we play them. Mccann and doig would be the first of the youngsters I would try and sign in the league!

10 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Got you. Misunderstood your home grown context. I wasn't suggesting we shouldn't try to get the lad, my point was more about if he wod see it as an attractive move. If he is happy to be a squad player and fight for his ace he may consider it  if he wants to go somewhere where he is guaranteed first team football most weeks then he might not want to come. Your point about Borna moving on is a very valid one and could be a selling point to Doig, that his period of understudy to Borna might be only 1 season or even less. 

I’d think he’d jump at the chance to come here tbh he’s already said he was excited by Leicester apparent interest so he clearly fancies a move to a higher level.

5 minutes ago, islanderbear84 said:

I fear he would end up at the fiddlers and news today that young mccann at Saints is being scouted by them too. He's another that always looks very capable when we play them. Mccann and doig would be the first of the youngsters I would try and sign in the league!

Strange they’re scouting midfielders when it’s the only area of their squad that isn’t absolute shit 😂 you’d think they’d have other priorities 10 weeks before their CL qualifiers 😂

1 minute ago, NorthernLights said:

Difficult thing is that we don’t have that many holes to fill. Realistically if he went to them he’d start every week. If you’re not a fan of either team then can see why that would be more appealing 

Remember they have Bolingoli to come back :mutley:

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Remember they have Bolingoli to come back :mutley:

Could definitely sway things. Doig is probably the second best left back in Scotland atm but Borna is the best. I’d still consider buying him and loaning him back as I think he could be a 10 million player at some point but it would be money we’re not spending on immediately upgrading the first team. 

Spoonburners are always difficult to deal with. I don't see us splashing millions on a player who will spend most of his time on the bench.

In the ability of our recruitment team to find value I have no doubt. If Borna goes this summer then I sure they have better options lined up than Doig for the same price.

4 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Spoonburners are always difficult to deal with. I don't see us splashing millions on a player who will spend most of his time on the bench.

In the ability of our recruitment team to find value I have no doubt. If Borna goes this summer then I sure they have better options lined up than Doig for the same price.

Look at the money the scum have wasted trying to replace Tierney be a gamble trying to bring in a player from another country when we have a young player right under our noses we also need more Scottish players for Euro squads, took Borna a season to adjust 

8 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Could definitely sway things. Doig is probably the second best left back in Scotland atm but Borna is the best. I’d still consider buying him and loaning him back as I think he could be a 10 million player at some point but it would be money we’re not spending on immediately upgrading the first team. 

Aye it would definitely be a signing for the future and I’m not sure our budget will stretch to that, might unfortunately take Borna leaving for us to make a move. 

56 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Look at the money the scum have wasted trying to replace Tierney be a gamble trying to bring in a player from another country when we have a young player right under our noses we also need more Scottish players for Euro squads, took Borna a season to adjust 

scum don't have a recruitment team so it's hit and miss with them. We, on the other hand, get most signings right. Due diligence, value for money, potential, etc etc.

7 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

scum don't have a recruitment team so it's hit and miss with them. We, on the other hand, get most signings right. Due diligence, value for money, potential, etc etc.

Even then it takes players from other countries time to adapt, Barisic himself took about 18 months and was very neatly written off, we have a young capable full back on our doorstep who’s only going to improve absolute no brainer for me if Borna goes.