Ali McCann

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Could be a great idea. Still think a big chunk of money will be going in their direction aswell though. Just have to wait n see. McCann under Davis tutelage sounds like a plan.

It depends on how much we have to spend and outgoing players.

The boy would be adequate back up behind 3 proper midfielders.

12 minutes ago, Smile said:

Edinburgh born. Looks a player.

The amount of good players that come through from Hutchie vale is quite staggering.

Aye, but family wise he's Ulster. Big thing to go to sellic for a guy from his background.

Although the overall standard is poor right now there's a good crop of players in the league just now

Nisbet, Doig and McCann the standouts for me then you've got Ferguson, Campbell and Boyle who I don't personally rate but are well regarded and could get decent moves. Kerr and McCart at St Johnstone are both very good. McGrath at St Mirren is decent. It's the league below but Souttar at Hearts is getting rave reviews as well just now.

13 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Do you mean from a Unionist background? They have had a couple. Bertie Peacock and Allen McKnight come to mind.

McKnight was? :lol: Explains a performance or two.

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Just ok really. Only been able to force his way in to start a few games, and a few good subs appearances. Not exactly outstanding. 

Really think we need first 11 guaranteed starters recruited for midfield. 

Yeah I agree, but not exactly the shite player many on here were saying he'd be and that his level isn't good enough. It takes all sorts to win trophies, as we've seen this season. 

I think we need first 11 guaranteed starters and projects. It's how we're going to make money.

5 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Wouldn’t have an issue with it. We should constantly be hoovering up the best young talent in Scotland.

Even when they don’t work out we rarely lose much money from them, and you only need one Kamara in a generation to make huge profits.

I don't think that's altogether true. 

We sign them sometimes for say a million, we give them a 3 year deal on a decent wedge plus signing on fees etc. If they flop we usually still pay a chunk of wages for them to go on loan. 

We still haven't sold Kamara as of yet and if he accepts the new deal then i'd imagine there would be a huge signing fee.

Also depends how you define a generation also.

That said I think McCann would be a cracking signing, always thought he's impressed against us. 

1 hour ago, Peter Pan Fan said:

Although the overall standard is poor right now there's a good crop of players in the league just now

Nisbet, Doig and McCann the standouts for me then you've got Ferguson, Campbell and Boyle who I don't personally rate but are well regarded and could get decent moves. Kerr and McCart at St Johnstone are both very good. McGrath at St Mirren is decent. It's the league below but Souttar at Hearts is getting rave reviews as well just now.

Not exactly a new talent, he's been pretty good/well rated for a while tbf.

Out of the mentioned, I'd probably take mccann and doig

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I was in the minority wanting Wright but I haven't seen the hype in Ali McCann at all tbh.

Not sure how its low risk when St Johnstone will command £2m+

Thought he was pretty good against us in the cup but I don’t know if he’s got the ability on the ball to play for us regularly. Still young I guess but I fear him being another Docherty.

Wonder if people had the same negative attitude towards players like Boyd, Judas, Whittaker, Thomson, Novo etc when they signed from other teams in the league 

Wright looked a fairly meh signing at first and now most of us want him to start. If there’s talent in our league we should be in for them 

The difference between us and them is that they will be looking at McCann as a saviour similar to Turnbull and a straight replacement for Brown.

If we sign McCann, I fully expect us to still sign someone else, a big name in the ilk of a Veerman.

14 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Wonder if people had the same negative attitude towards players like Boyd, Judas, Whittaker, Thomson, Novo etc when they signed from other teams in the league 

Wright looked a fairly meh signing at first and now most of us want him to start. If there’s talent in our league we should be in for them 

There was a lot of Rangers supporters who thought that Ryan Jack was no where near good enough for us when he signed at the time and i'd say the vast majority of them now would agree he's a crucial part of the team.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already but for me the recruitment of these type of players then loaning them out has proved a successful strategy for us recently.  
Don’t play against us & turn it on against the rest. 
Fkd me off no end when the scum were doing it for years but I’m all for it now. 

Always find it when a bit weird people try and corelate the addition of one player back to a previous player. 

For all the talk of Novo, Boyd, Naismith etc who were excellent signings we have signed a copious number of players from the Scottish leagues who were pish, there isn't really a connection in talent between one player and another i.e Scott Wright isn't playing well because people thought Kris Boyd would be shit 

Boyd, Naismith, Thomson, Novo for instance were widely seen as talented players who would be good their record suggested that and they were popular to most when signed, most knew players like Ricky Foster would be shit when he signed. 

50 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I was in the minority wanting Wright but I haven't seen the hype in Ali McCann at all tbh.

Not sure how its low risk when St Johnstone will command £2m+

When we are operating with a structural deficit in our accounts somwhere in the region of £15-20 million no signing can be described as ‘low risk’.

8 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

The fact that he’s one of the best young players in Scotland says more about the standards here than it does about how good he is. Kept an eye on him when we played them and was not impressed.

he was very good against us recently when they beat us on pens

11 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

Anyone heard if we’re in for him at all?

Through family I know of someone who used to be part of their football ops, she’s adamant we’re in for Ali McCann and have already almost done the deal despite the Tim’s bumping their gums about him to the press. 

Funny if true, good wee player and someone who has a chance of developing into that Davis style player we’ll need to replace. 

Whats her opinion on Sir Alex Ferguson?