Defoe

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Wonder what this means for Itten. Think there's a good chance he will be gone this summer.

not so sure on that, just because defoe has resigned doesn't mean Itten is away IMO. hopefully he kicks on and earns a regular spot.

Just now, stevemac said:

not so sure on that, just because defoe has resigned doesn't mean Itten is away IMO. hopefully he kicks on and earns a regular spot.

Think Morelos staying or going will decide what happens with Itten. Hes still a good option but looks like a player that needs to start week in week out.

12 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Morelos, Defoe and Roofe are all ahead of him as things stand. If Sakala has signed as a striker him too you'd think. He needs games he's not a youngster. 

Not sure we can justify having a £3/4m player who never starts.

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Wonder what this means for Itten. Think there's a good chance he will be gone this summer.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Morelos, Defoe and Roofe are all ahead of him as things stand. If Sakala has signed as a striker him too you'd think. He needs games he's not a youngster. 

Roofes fitness record is suspect same with Defoe too. Plus Morelos still got 2 separate bans last season for silly things.

I think there is still a place. Sakala I think is more of a wide player.

I get what you’re saying about his fee but I think he’s someone to hold on to for now. A young guy coming into a new club and country being restricted during a lockdown won’t have helped him settle either.

7 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Roofes fitness record is suspect same with Defoe too. Plus Morelos still got 2 separate bans last season for silly things.

I think there is still a place. Sakala I think is more of a wide player.

I get what you’re saying about his fee but I think he’s someone to hold on to for now. A young guy coming into a new club and country being restricted during a lockdown won’t have helped him settle either.

The front three are all interchangeable. We don't really have a wide man per se. The addition of Sakala makes Itten's game time appear even harder. 

Sakala will fight for a place with Roofe and Wright.

28 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

I refuse to believe that we spent anywhere near £3/4m on Itten.

I think he has potential to be a good player, but I cant see us having paid any more than about £1.5m for him.

Think the figures might have been inflated a wee bit.

17 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I refuse to believe that we spent anywhere near £3/4m on Itten.

I think he has potential to be a good player, but I cant see us having paid any more than about £1.5m for him.

Think the figures might have been inflated a wee bit.

I was meaning we could get that for him.

This is great news. Defoe brings so much to the club. He hasn't got the pace anymore but his finishing is great. He also brings a lot to the dressing room as throughout his career his professionalism has been outstanding and he's someone the young lads can learn a lot from.

4 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Think Roofe is more likely to leave than Itten. His family have moved back down south.

any word on him actually wanting to go? sure his family live leeds way, not a million miles away and a similar commute that SG makes but if he is wanting to go then itll be a shame IMO

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

Not sure a player at his age would be content with sitting on the bench either.

He needs regular games at his age for the sake of his career and I’m not sure he’s going to get them for us.

48 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Not sure a player at his age would be content with sitting on the bench either.

He needs regular games at his age for the sake of his career and I’m not sure he’s going to get them for us.

Yeah probably. Same time though he might think this is his only chance at a club our size and want to give it another season.

Glad to hear the news Defoe is getting an extension. He provides so much to the club that doesn't just involve playing time. Even this year in his few cameos he has done his job and still got in amongst the goals.

As for Itten I've always been of the impression that he's part of a succession plan for when Morelos leaves us. Up top Morelos has been the one constant whether alone or with Roofe this season. If Itten is training well and was on the brink of getting in the team he probably wouldn't because how well Morelos has played all round this season.

When Morelos goes we will need different types of strikers that can fill different roles and I think both Itten and Defoe fall into that.

Whether Morelos or/and Itten were to leave we should always strive to have four strikers at the club.