The Euros

3 hours ago, maverick1200 said:

What a load of shite. It'll be a waste, but not a failure.

Lopsided or not, none of the semi final teams have played any of the big nations apart from Italy facing Belgium and England have facing Germany. That's down to the amount of teams in the tournament and the big hitters playing shite. 

If England were on the other side of the tournament they would of faced Spain possibly and then Italy. Not that much difference. 

Not shite. After the groups England couldn’t face Belgium,France, Portugal, Spain or Italy before the final because they were all in the other half of the draw.That is five of the top seven ranked teams in the world they couldn’t play. All those top ranked teams avoided.

The  highest ranked team they could play was Denmark in tenth. Add to that the fact they get to play all teams ,except an utterly shite Ukraine, at home.

Of course it would be failure not to reach the final.

5 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Not shite. After the groups England couldn’t face Belgium,France, Portugal, Spain or Italy before the final because they were all in the other half of the draw.That is five of the top seven ranked teams in the world they couldn’t play. All those top ranked teams avoided.

The  highest ranked team they could play was Denmark in tenth. Add to that the fact they get to play all teams ,except an utterly shite Ukraine, at home.

Belgium out, France out, Portugal out.

So wtf do the rankings matter :lol:

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

Belgium out, France out, Portugal out.

So wtf do the rankings matter :lol:

They don’t “matter” as such but they give an indication of the quality of the teams. However if all the top ranked teams play each other of course some will go out. 

25 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Not shite. After the groups England couldn’t face Belgium,France, Portugal, Spain or Italy before the final because they were all in the other half of the draw. That is five of the top seven ranked teams in the world they couldn’t play. All those top ranked teams avoided.

But if they were in the over side of the they would of only faced 2 of those teams. Instead of Germany and Denmark. Germany are equal to those clubs mentioned and in fact, they smashed Portugal. Also the rankings are not the best indication of quality. 

It would be a disappointment not to get to the final, but not a failure. 

On 04/07/2021 at 07:41, JamieD said:

I'm England-born but supported Scotland, growing up, and actively disliked the England team. It's becoming harder and harder to justify that with anything other than tribalism now. Yes, the media are irritating. Yes, so are a lot of the fans. The team are clearly the most likeable, least loathsome they have ever had though. If there's an Italy v England final I'd be happy if either won it. Never thought I would say that (always want Italy to win at tournaments since Scotland became non-entities).

Dunno why personalities matters to some people though. I've always wanted England to do well and Wales and Scotland. 

10 hours ago, keithgersbear said:

Dunno why personalities matters to some people though. I've always wanted England to do well and Wales and Scotland. 

Why would it not matter to me though, if it's not a team I actively support? I like things that are likeable and dislike things that aren't. 

All of us accept the validity of football rivalry. None of us is expected to support Celtic just because they're Scottish, so there's no particular reason why we should support England or the other home nations because they're British. If you want to, fine. I personally wasn't brought up by a dad who felt that way. So the long, long generation of charmless England players in the late 90s to late 2010s rubbed me up the wrong way. The new generation don't. They are doing it on the pitch instead of on the catwalk, in a sarong.

10 hours ago, JamieD said:

Why would it not matter to me though, if it's not a team I actively support? I like things that are likeable and dislike things that aren't. 

All of us accept the validity of football rivalry. None of us is expected to support Celtic just because they're Scottish, so there's no particular reason why we should support England or the other home nations because they're British. If you want to, fine. I personally wasn't brought up by a dad who felt that way. So the long, long generation of charmless England players in the late 90s to late 2010s rubbed me up the wrong way. The new generation don't. They are doing it on the pitch instead of on the catwalk, in a sarong.

The fact it's a home nation you'd assume you would want them to do well. Not saying actively support. I couldn't care less what the personalities of the players are like but that's just me.