The Euros

14 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I'd consider Holland in the top tier over the last 25 years even though they haven't won anything.

Despite the lack of trophies they've been to plenty semis and a few finals and are always considered one of the favourites based on their short and long term history and who has played for them in that time.

Even going into the Euros people still thought they'd do okay and it's probably based off that recent history despite not being in the last two tournaments

If you're going over the last 25 years - France, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy are the top tier teams. Every one of them have won multiple competitions including a World Cup in that time. Everybody else is beneath them.

England, Holland, Portugal lag behind them a fair bit.

Fighting amongst themselves, racially abusing they're players in defeat, it just has to be England.

The minority it maybe, but we are still talking thousands of people here, and what a filthy lot they are.

Anyway nevermind, our close friends from Italy royally fucked up the party :beer:

4 minutes ago, STRUTH82 said:

Fighting amongst themselves, racially abusing they're players in defeat, it just has to be England.

The minority it maybe, but we are still talking thousands of people here, and what a filthy lot they are.

Anyway nevermind, our close friends from Italy royally fucked up the party :beer:

You canny bash the entire England support with the racist behaviour of a minority, only to then proclaim Italy - a country with a significant and very real fascist political stronghold among their population - as close friends :lol: 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If you're going over the last 25 years - France, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy are the top tier teams. Every one of them have won multiple competitions including a World Cup in that time. Everybody else is beneath them.

England, Holland, Portugal lag behind them a fair bit.

Fair enough. I'd add them and Portugal over the last 25 years. Both teams have been considered at different points over those years to be the best three or four international teams.

If Holland and Portugal are the tier below by themselves I'd say England are below those two in last 25 years.

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Is there any decent strikers coming through for Italy because if they could get a proper number 9 and keep the two centre halves able to play in Qatar then you’d fancy them to have a massive chance of winning WC too.

It’s bizarre how Immobile is a machine at club level but hasn’t really been able to replicate it at international level, especially considering the way Italy play.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

It’s bizarre how Immobile is a machine at club level but hasn’t really been able to replicate it at international level, especially considering the way Italy play.

There’s a lack of real top quality number 9’s in football just now imo.

Hence the reason you’re talking silly money for Kane and Haaland this summer.

Genuinely gutted for England. Wish they'd have kept pushing for a second instead of sitting back.

Grealish couldn't really get into the tournament.

Would love to have known what would have happened if Southgate trusted him the way Robson trusted Gazza, and see whether he got better and better as the tournament went on and won it for them, or if because he's defensively poor if they'd have gone out earlier.

Italy are alright but they were more than beatable.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Genuinely gutted for England. Wish they'd have kept pushing for a second instead of sitting back.

Would love to have known what would have happened if Southgate trusted him the way Robson trusted Gazza, and see whether he got better and better as the tournament went on and won it for them, or if because he's defensively poor if they'd have gone out earlier.

Italy have gone almost 40 games without losing. After scoring, England never looked like winning that last night.

4 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

There’s a lack of real top quality number 9’s in football just now imo.

Hence the reason you’re talking silly money for Kane and Haaland this summer.

They seem to be a bit of a dying breed atm. All about false 9’s who can drop off and allow the wide players to come inside atm.

Just now, The Dude said:

Italy have gone almost 40 games without losing. After scoring, England never looked like winning that last night.

Italy shaded it over the 120 minutes, but I don't think it's fair to say England never looked like winning. There were spells of pressure, Sterling's couple of runs into the box looked like they could lead to goals etc.

11 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Yeah he's a great striker but just doesn't quite work for Italy,  belotti has great stats but i thought he looked brutal anytime he came on 

9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Italy are a cracking team.

The issue England have is that they don’t have any midfielders who can control a game.

Rice and Phillips are good players but guys like Jorginho and Busquets ,who play similar positions, can dictate games and control the tempo.

Foden should be their 10 as he has ability to run a game.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Italy shaded it over the 120 minutes, but I don't think it's fair to say England never looked like winning. There were spells of pressure, Sterling's couple of runs into the box looked like they could lead to goals etc.

They really didn't look like winning the game. They had a couple wee spells where they came back into it but genuinely struggling to think of a save Donnarumma had to make

4 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Italy are a cracking team.

The issue England have is that they don’t have any midfielders who can control a game.

Rice and Phillips are good players but guys like Jorginho and Busquets ,who play similar positions, can dictate games and control the tempo.

Foden should be their 10 as he has ability to run a game.

Going to be interesting to see how Bellingham develops in the next few years too.

He’s good at what he does, but I think Rice is very limited, especially at the price he’s being touted for. If I was a Premier League team Phillips would be the one I would want. He’s a lot more well rounded.

This threads been quite amusing tbh my take from it is the Dude just being his usual argumentative annoying egotistical self but still a strangely likeable character imo (a few will disagree with that) and another poster that I thought was a good decent lad actually showing himself to be a wee bit of a dick towards fellow Bears and struggling to hide his jealousy of England 😆

Thank fuck this shite is over for another year fuck international football.