Scotland at the euros?

Will you be supporting scotland at the euros?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be supporting Scotland?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

We - as Rangers supporters - can’t relate to it as our club is built on the demands of being successful and those demands are ingrained in all of us, but there are supporters of a lot of clubs and countries who see just “being there“ and taking part as success because they don’t actually get to witness any real success. It’s not an uncommon thing at all.

That is actually a really good point which I hadn’t considered.

As the number of Rangers supporters following Scotland dwindles, so do the standards and expectations.

Look at the 1978 World Cup.

A win, a draw and a defeat - three points better than this fiasco.

Yet Ally McLeod was a broken man, ridiculed and ostracised.

Compare that to Clarke and the perception that his team did all right.

Changed times indeed.

6 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

As the number of Rangers supporters following Scotland dwindles, so do the standards and expectations.

Changed times indeed.

I would imagine a lot of the TA don't actually follow club football therefore have never experienced winning. It is more a patriotic parade to them.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

We - as Rangers supporters - can’t relate to it as our club is built on the demands of being successful and those demands are ingrained in all of us, but there are supporters of a lot of clubs and countries who see just “being there“ and taking part as success because they don’t actually get to witness any real success. It’s not an uncommon thing at all.

Hence the fact that some fans , and i'll even lob Clarke in with this as well , look at the decision to have O'Donnell in the side and are OK with that.

I have no issue with O'Donnell. He did his best for his Country , had a good game against England , and to be honest he didn't select himself here but don't insult my intelligence by telling me he's a better player than Nathan Patterson because everything that O'Donnell did against England Patterson would've done the exact same or better. It stands to reason that if you're playing at a Club where the standards are high game in game out and you simply don't tolerate losing you're own personal performances and that of the team you are playing for are going on a different level.

Christ even putting naeneck on in the 2nd half would've been an improvement on what was going on down the right hand side.

28 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Changed times indeed.

To be fair didn’t Ally McLeod say he was going to win the World Cup? 😂 

4 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

He would've had a decent shout if he'd played Scotland's premier goalscorer at that time in his teams.

That was a decent team Scotland had then. The Country is crying out for a pure goalscorer in the team now but McLeod had one , so did Craig Brown , and never used him/them in the tournaments where goalscoring is essential.

41 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I would imagine a lot of the TA don't actually follow club football therefore have never experienced winning. It is more a patriotic parade to them.

That’s how wee krankie is on the bandwagon sees it as a means to an end to brainwash the kids. 

22 minutes ago, Canabear said:

He would've had a decent shout if he'd played Scotland's premier goalscorer at that time in his teams.

That was a decent team Scotland had then. The Country is crying out for a pure goalscorer in the team now but McLeod had one , so did Craig Brown , and never used him/them in the tournaments where goalscoring is essential.

The sfa had a godsend there in mcleod, the perfect scapegoat, motormouth, if my memory serves me well I remember he uttered the words ‘I think we can get a medal I’m not sure what colour though’, soon as I heard that I knew it was tempting fate, that and the debacle at Hampden to wave them off, what a cringe fest that was. Went to a couple of Wembley’s after that and went to my last game in 1984. 

9 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Was just A Formality mate, Even had The Victory Party at Hampden Park before they went Ffs 😂

Remember watching a thing with people like Jimmy Reid saying we were not just going to win it, we were going to win it with flamboyance and in style.

3 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

😂What a shambles it all was

Can you remember Andy Cameron’s World Cup Song We’re on the March with Ally’s tartan army, Fucking Cringe 😂 B side wasn’t bad though tbf, I wanna be a punk rocker 😂

3 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Can you remember Andy Cameron’s World Cup Song We’re on the March with Ally’s tartan army, Fucking Cringe 😂 B side wasn’t bad though tbf, I wanna be a punk rocker 😂

How can you forget it, think it was AC’s music career that rocketed him to fame as Take the High Roads Chic Cherry!😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

The sfa had a godsend there in mcleod, the perfect scapegoat, motormouth, if my memory serves me well I remember he uttered the words ‘I think we can get a medal I’m not sure what colour though’, soon as I heard that I knew it was tempting fate, that and the debacle at Hampden to wave them off, what a cringe fest that was. Went to a couple of Wembley’s after that and went to my last game in 1984. 

That 78 World Cup appearance was sandwiched in between my only two Wembley trips and I have tremendous memories from both.

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

There was a great wee video after the dust settled in 1978, a compilation of clips accompanied, inevitably, by “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina”.

McLeod was reluctant to use Souness (and completely overlooked 41 goal Derek Johnstone) in the tournament and the video featured Souness as the line “the answer was there all along” plays in the song.

Can’t always remember why I went to the kitchen these days but it’s strange how stuff like that stays with you.

:lol:

18 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

👍🏻Was as both those Wembley’s, great times. 

Those were 2 of the 5 i went to,and still tell people that you could've got a ticket amongst the England fans and the banter was brilliant.
My first trip was 69 and one abiding memory was some fool booing GSTQ and heard a thud to turn round in time to see a massive Bear knocking some cunt unconcious and being told "take that ya papish bastard" :lol:
5 trips witha million memories and none of it hate filled anti England shite.

38 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Those were 2 of the 5 i went to,and still tell people that you could've got a ticket amongst the England fans and the banter was brilliant.
My first trip was 69 and one abiding memory was some fool booing GSTQ and heard a thud to turn round in time to see a massive Bear knocking some cunt unconcious and being told "take that ya papish bastard" :lol:
5 trips witha million memories and none of it hate filled anti England shite.

😂Was at one as well bud, first time the game had been played in the evening , Colin Stein scored in all three Home internationals that year. As you say it was great rivalry with none of the hate you see now. 

2 hours ago, Canabear said:

Hence the fact that some fans , and i'll even lob Clarke in with this as well , look at the decision to have O'Donnell in the side and are OK with that.

I have no issue with O'Donnell. He did his best for his Country , had a good game against England , and to be honest he didn't select himself here but don't insult my intelligence by telling me he's a better player than Nathan Patterson because everything that O'Donnell did against England Patterson would've done the exact same or better. It stands to reason that if you're playing at a Club where the standards are high game in game out and you simply don't tolerate losing you're own personal performances and that of the team you are playing for are going on a different level.

Christ even putting naeneck on in the 2nd half would've been an improvement on what was going on down the right hand side.

That's it though for the 3 games in a row he played the lowest standard right back of the three who had a howler in two and was covered for in another. For me it's not anti-Rangers he's just a completely shite manager.

I don't think you would even find a Rangers fan with a brain who would take O Donnell over Forrest. If he went with Forrest at least it would look like he was going for experience.

Apparently, disappointing as it was, Clarke has earned the right to try and take us to the World Cup. BBC reporting he brought a calmness following McLeish's volatile results.

McLeish managed 6 competitive games in his second spell - Won 4 Lost 2

Clarke has managed 22 competitive games - Won 8, Drew 6, Lost 8

I didn't think McLeish was the right manager second time around but think it's a bit unfair the support Clarke gets compared to the absolute lambasting McLeish got.

Outside of a foreign manager, I'm not sure who we'd go for but I'd be very surprised if Clarke takes us onto qualification.