Hagi wants to go to the Olympics

graeme_4

Meanwhile, Ianis Hagi has pleaded with Rangers to allow him to represent Romania at the Olympics.

The playmaker has made his country's squad for the summer tournament in Japan but hasn't been given permission to go.

The matches would clash with Rangers' Champions League qualifying campaign and Gerrard will already be without the suspended Kemar Roofe and Glen Kamara.

Rangers are under no obligation from FIFA to release Hagi but he admits he's desperate to chase the Olympic dream.

He said: "I want to play at a tournament like the Olympics. It's something unique. I probably won't get a chance like this any other time in your career.

"It's clear I want to go.

"Unfortunately, we, the players, are in a situation where it does not depend on ourselves.

"Personally, I have made it very clear to the club I want to play at the Olympics, but I don't yet have a clear answer from Rangers.”

—-

Not a fan of that attitude, or putting it out in the press. Could be the beginning of the end. 

Just now, Essandoh said:

Where’s that from? Bit surprised he’s went to a paper about it or even responded in that way. Canny imagine Gerrard would appreciate that.

Fuck knows. Lifted it off FF. 

Yup. Not a fan of it either. If there’s truth to the £10m offer I’d be taking it. 

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I have no problem in allowing him to go and play in the Olympics.

First champions league opportunity in a decade, and already missing Kamara and Roofe through suspension and Jack through injury. Would be expecting him to put the team first. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Fuck knows. Lifted it off FF. 

Yup. Not a fan of it either. If there’s truth to the £10m offer I’d be taking it. 

I mean, that would be daft :lol:

Can’t agree with you there. Most assists in the league with 11 and 9 goals. Very impressive for a player who clearly has more to offer on a consistent basis.

If he can reach Ryan Kent’s level of improvement (still ongoing) then we could easily demand £20m+ at the end of next season.

9 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

First champions league opportunity in a decade, and already missing Kamara and Roofe through suspension and Jack through injury. Would be expecting him to put the team first. 

He played a huge role in the qualification for Romania through the U21 Championship prior to joining us - Romania is his team as well. 

The Olympic football tournament is hardly great granted, but having an opportunity to represent your country at the Olympics is a huge honour. I'd be bitterly disappointed if I had that opportunity and it was denied to me. I think denying him this will do more harm in the long run than good as well.

I remember Guardiola releasing Messi for it, in I think 2008. Barcelona as a club was against it but Guardiola (not exactly a Spanish nationalist either) thought playing in the 92 games was such a big deal he didn't want to deny Messi that opportunity.

He can go with conditions, is what I’d say to the wee fud

1. you’ll get fuk all money/wages from us while your away

2. You must get your own insurance policy to cover us in the event you get injured

3. If somebody does well in your place while your away, you might find yourself out the team for the first half of the season, if you don’t get back in you might be sold in January if somebody makes a bid 

you still want to go ianis? Your decision pal

2 minutes ago, Tomatasauce said:

He can go with conditions, is what I’d say to the wee fud

1. you’ll get fuk all money/wages from us while your away

2. You must get your own insurance policy to cover us in the event you get injured

3. If somebody does well in your place while your away, you might find yourself out the team for the first half of the season, if you don’t get back in you might be sold in January if somebody makes a bid 

you still want to go ianis? Your decision pal

Except none of that is legal.

I see both sides of it. As a professional you want to expose yourself to the biggest competitions and win as much as you can, the Olympics definitely meets that criteria. 

But from the club's viewpoint we need our best and most effective players available to us during the course of a season, especially during European qualifiers.

The one issue I can't get away from is that Hagi doesn't see himself as a footballer, he sees himself as a brand and I believe he's only trying to enhance his brand through this. Hagi is more interested in the self, rather than the whole.