*****Official 21/22 CL Qualifying Thread*****

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Slavia beat us comfortably.

we hung on for a draw over there and when they scored at Ibrox they cruised to victory.

My recollection of the 2nd half over there was we were more likely to get a second goal than them. Certainly don't remember it as us hanging on for a draw. 

Rangers_no1 likes this

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

we hung on for a draw over there and when they scored at Ibrox they cruised to victory.

This!

Think people are forgetting how easy it was for them at Ibrox and we got over powered and couldn’t lay a glove on them tbh!

Easiest tie possible but I’d rather avoid Slavia as I think we’d struggle again. Everything about them is wrong for us.

chris182 and Blue Viking like this

8 minutes ago, Brubear said:

My recollection of the 2nd half over there was we were more likely to get a second goal than them. Certainly don't remember it as us hanging on for a draw. 

We needed a world class save to get a draw.

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

With our current squad, i think we’d struggle to get bye the Q4 opponents.

Won’t be out current squad tho.

2 hours ago, southcoastbear said:

You sure this is a list of potential opponents and no a list of teams that have punted the mhanky mob out of Europe in the qualifying  rounds over the last few seasons:mutley:

That list would be much much bigger!!

southcoastbear likes this

1 hour ago, B1872 said:

We needed a world class save to get a draw.

Don't disagree abot that, however that can happen without us "hanging on" for a draw. That for me implies being under the cosh and them creating wave after wave of attacks. I am sure we had as much attacking play as them without either side cresting much. Admittedly we were poor in the first half and were extremely lucky to be on level terms at HT. 

Love us to get Malmö - we have a score to settle here.

Was at that game in Malmö when they put us out - No Rangers supporters were allowed in - but there were certainly a bunch that got in.

That was when I met Sandy Jardine outside the stadium- great moment, but disaster of a game.

Colonel H VC likes this

13 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Again based on the perception the highest seeds advance, our Q4 opponents would be the following;

Salzburg, Zagreb, Slavia Prague or Olympiakos.

Would be ideal if one of the unseeded teams caused an upset in Q3 against one of latter 3 and we played a Malmo or Warsaw in Q4 instead.

Be capable of beating any of them. Not that confident though. Depends on our midfield recruitment. 

13 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Again based on the perception the highest seeds advance, our Q4 opponents would be the following;

Salzburg, Zagreb, Slavia Prague or Olympiakos.

Would be ideal if one of the unseeded teams caused an upset in Q3 against one of latter 3 and we played a Malmo or Warsaw in Q4 instead.

Think we can beat any team in Q3 or Q4. Salzburg or Olympiacos are probably the best of the bunch

We will face some difficult teams but CL qualifiers are a step up in class from Europa qualifiers. I will be disappointed if we don't make the group stages. That said I could accept 3rd in the groups and a parachute into the Europa knock out rounds.

It's all very hard to call right now as we don't know about squad changes (in and out). Still very much looking forward to it though.

42 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

We will face some difficult teams but CL qualifiers are a step up in class from Europa qualifiers. I will be disappointed if we don't make the group stages. That said I could accept 3rd in the groups and a parachute into the Europa knock out rounds.

It's all very hard to call right now as we don't know about squad changes (in and out). Still very much looking forward to it though.

I’m confident of keeping almost all of our squad, bar Kamara. How we recruit in midfield is the biggest issue. We need quality in there for day 1 of preseason. 

21 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I’m confident of keeping almost all of our squad, bar Kamara. How we recruit in midfield is the biggest issue. We need quality in there for day 1 of preseason. 

For sure we need another top quality midfielder but the question is can we afford one. They are thin on the ground and expensive.

As to who we sell it might be Kamara it might be Hagi and so the list goes on. As long as it's only one we will remain in good shape.

Get fans back and the match day income for Europe and we may not have to sell at all this summer. Time will tell. I remain a half glass full person.

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

Huge ask to finish even 3rd in a Champions league group tbh we’d need to get lucky with the draw and play at our very best, all about getting there this season and banking the CL cash then investing on improving the squad for next season. 

BlueAvenger likes this

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I'd take finishing bottom right now if offered, the financial aspect is huge for us.

Agreed mate it’s all about getting there this season, qualify this year and win the league is worth about 70m to the club that’s huge could put us years infront of them. 

ayrshireranger and Rangers_no1 like this

3 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Agreed mate it’s all about getting there this season, qualify this year and win the league is worth about 70m to the club that’s huge could put us years infront of them. 

Those who have invested their hard cash deserve to get a return on that money and 70M guarantees that with a bit left over for further investment as we become self sufficient.

6superbarry6 likes this

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

For sure we need another top quality midfielder but the question is can we afford one. They are thin on the ground and expensive.

As to who we sell it might be Kamara it might be Hagi and so the list goes on. As long as it's only one we will remain in good shape.

Get fans back and the match day income for Europe and we may not have to sell at all this summer. Time will tell. I remain a half glass full person.

You say top midfielders are expensive but we spent £350k on our undefeated championship winning midfield so that kind of blows away that theory tbf!

Jack - free

Davis - free

Kamara - 50 grand

Aribo - £350k

2 minutes ago, B1872 said:

You say top midfielders are expensive but we spent £350k on our undefeated championship winning midfield so that kind of blows away that theory tbf!

Jack - free

Davis - free

Kamara - 50 grand

Aribo - £350k

I stand corrected. Gems are there to be unearthed.

Established CL level midfielders however cost an arm and a leg. Best we don't look there unless we win the lottery.

graeme_4 likes this

16 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

While I agree with this I’d have liked to see how this game would’ve panned out if they hadn’t been a bunch of cheating pussies and diving at every opportunity.

We’re by no means a dirty/physical team but they were dropping like flies so that we couldn’t even tackle them. It was effectively non-contact and we were handicapped.

I think man for man there isn’t anything between the two teams and if we’d actually been able to put in a challenge it would’ve been a much different game. 

I watched a bit of the Arsenal v them game to see if they were up to that with them but it didn’t seem like it. I don’t know if that’s coz they were doing more chasing in that game  or what. Maybe they only do that when they are able to control the game.