Patterson/Tavernier

Tav is club captain and probably too high an earner to be rotated. It’s a tricky one. 
If Patterson gets any sort of game time at Euros and does well, it’s a bit of a comedown to come back and then be understudy or only play League Cup games. Tav also on a good contract in terms of length and money and at his age his value is only going to drop as seasons pass. Decent problem to have when you consider Patterson is from the academy, it’s not like we’ve ended up with two expensive players in same position.

In my view we shouldn’t be afraid to cash in on Tav and have Patterson as a starter.

We keep talking about how we should be moving towards a model making a profit on player trading. Where we have an already made replacement from the youth academy it should make it easier to sell.

52 minutes ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

Amazes me that some people think a boy who isn't even finished physically developing yet and has a whole 16 first team appearances under his belt can come in and replace our clubs captain, one of our best players and play 60 games a season and have any where near the impact and bring what Tav brings to our play.

Borderline disrespectful to Tav tbh.

I honestly wonder whether it would go down well with the team. I don’t think it would. I trust the gaffer knows better.

8 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

I could see Tav playing as one of the midfield 3, but I don’t think he’d have anywhere near the impact he does currently. 

Question is which midfield player does he replace.Does Patterson give us more than Tav at full back and does that more than offset Tav displacing another midfielder. Does Patterson genuinely offer more than Tav, if yes he should be our fullback. Then it is a second decision, does Tav earn a place in our midfield. If not he is on the bench. I am not saying this is what should happen just that SG will look at it a 2 separate decisions. 

Patterson will get more than enough minutes next season with us. He'll play the cup games and probably the games in between Europe. Any suggestion that he should go on loan is stupid imo, we need the best squad possible and that means keeping Patterson here next season. 

6 hours ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

Amazes me that some people think a boy who isn't even finished physically developing yet and has a whole 16 first team appearances under his belt can come in and replace our clubs captain, one of our best players and play 60 games a season and have any where near the impact and bring what Tav brings to our play.

Borderline disrespectful to Tav tbh.

It's not even close to being disrespectful :lol:

Patterson is a pretty comparable age to Alphonso Davies for all you think he hasn't finished developing physically, it hasn't stopped Bayern playing Davies, him playing in a CL Final and doing so at the expense of players like Sule and Herndez, one of them they had paid a club record fee for. 

They in theory could have said, fuck it you can't play him (Davies) he has only played 5/6/7/8/9/10 games we need to bring the others back solely because they are older and played more games historically than him rather than sticking with Davies to see him develop further. Is that borderline disrespectful, no, it's how football works. 

A manager should do what is best for the team first. If Patterson had a standout preseason and Tav doesn't, decent chance Tav is out on his arse.

40 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It's not even close to being disrespectful :lol:

Patterson is a pretty comparable age to Alphonso Davies for all you think he hasn't finished developing physically, it hasn't stopped Bayern playing Davies, him playing in a CL Final and doing so at the expense of players like Sule and Herndez, one of them they had paid a club record fee for. 

They in theory could have said, fuck it you can't play him (Davies) he has only played 5/6/7/8/9/10 games we need to bring the others back solely because they are older and played more games historically than him rather than sticking with Davies to see him develop further. Is that borderline disrespectful, no, it's how football works. 

A manager should do what is best for the team first. If Patterson had a standout preseason and Tav doesn't, decent chance Tav is out on his arse.

Standout pre season lol, please

8 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Never signed a professional contract with us so not actually true.

Of course it's true. He was with us for a good few years and he was a youngster. There's a reason Chelsea picked him up and offered him a life changing move at his age, because he is outstanding.

7 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

In my view we shouldn’t be afraid to cash in on Tav and have Patterson as a starter.

We keep talking about how we should be moving towards a model making a profit on player trading. Where we have an already made replacement from the youth academy it should make it easier to sell.

There are other players we can focus on cashing in on before replacing a club legend, league winning captain.

After trimming the fat in selling fringe players, you've the likes of hagi, kamara etc. That could be moved on and replaced.

13 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tav is finishing his career here, deal wae it. 

Uptae Patterson to become better than Tavernier to take his jersey, not just give him it because he’s had a good 10 games. 

I reckon your right .We will be looking for a new RB by then as Paterson will be sold for a decent fee before Tav is ready to hang up his boots .

3 minutes ago, stevemac said:

There are other players we can focus on cashing in on before replacing a club legend, league winning captain.

After trimming the fat in selling fringe players, you've the likes of hagi, kamara etc. That could be moved on and replaced.

Club legend? Tav?

We were all worried about Tav having to play every game before Patterson emerged.  We need 2 players for every position and provided we stay in Europe and progress in the domestic cups there will be plenty of game time.  

Tav still first choice for me 

Just now, stevemac said:

yes. not even a debatable subject anymore.

Well I’m disagreeing so clearly it is debatable. 

Depends on what you consider makes someone a “club legend” but he’s not at that level in my opinion. When I think club legend I think, Shearer, Baxter, Grieg, Jardine, Cooper, Gough, Mccoist, Laudrup, Ferguson, etc. Tav not close to that, in my opinion, sure there are others who disagree.

He’s a very productive right back and clearly had a great season but St Johnstone cup game summed him up for me, great late run into box and goal to give us the lead then completely bottled penalty in shoot out. 

7 minutes ago, Lilac 3rd Kit said:

Well I’m disagreeing so clearly it is debatable. 

Depends on what you consider makes someone a “club legend” but he’s not at that level in my opinion. When I think club legend I think, Shearer, Baxter, Grieg, Jardine, Cooper, Gough, Mccoist, Laudrup, Ferguson, etc. Tav not close to that, in my opinion, sure there are others who disagree.

He’s a very productive right back and clearly had a great season but St Johnstone cup game summed him up for me, great late run into box and goal to give us the lead then completely bottled penalty in shoot out. 

he has lead us from the championship to the league championship.

Of course those mentioned are club legends but that doesn't mean what Tav has achieved with us is anything short of phenomenal. Great season? he has been central in our play for the best part of 5 years now. 

Even legends have bad games. John Greig played in the Berwick 1-0 game. doesn't mean he isnt a legend does it?

Just now, stevemac said:

he has lead us from the championship to the league championship.

Of course those mentioned are club legends but that doesn't mean what Tav has achieved with us is anything short of phenomenal. 

Even legends have bad games. John Greig played in the Berwick 1-0 game. doesn't mean he isnt a legend does it?

Hell of a rewrite of history TBH.

Tav can only really be judged when he leaves us, if we shit the bed next season go out the Cups early, and fuck up the league, you won't hear many calling him a legend.