Elden Ring

CR3

• CR3 changed the title to Elden Ring
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, CR3 said:

@BouncyBluenose87 15 mins of gameplay. @BridgeIsBlue not sure if you want to see it - canny help myself.

Watched it, I'm going to take a weeks holiday from work to bash this. 

Bloodborne was easily my favourite game from last gen, this could very well be top dog. 

40 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Watched it, I'm going to take a weeks holiday from work to bash this. 

Bloodborne was easily my favourite game from last gen, this could very well be top dog. 

I’ll be honest I think they’ve shown a bit too much considering the souls series normally leaves most to your imagination but they’ve actually shown boss battles here etc. Got the game on now but will watch it all later. Looked unreal tbh.

4 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I’ll be honest I think they’ve shown a bit too much considering the souls series normally leaves most to your imagination but they’ve actually shown boss battles here etc. Got the game on now but will watch it all later. Looked unreal tbh.

They always show some boss battles but they'll be from early on in the game. 

I’ve completed the main story part of the closed network test. Got to Stormveil Castle and trying to climb a ladder, but game won’t let me. Just says that there’s more to come in the full game when I try to climb the ladder.

I found another catacomb last night when the server was going back offline. Hopefully get to play during today’s window and I can try to complete that 😀

1 hour ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

I’ve completed the main story part of the closed network test. Got to Stormveil Castle and trying to climb a ladder, but game won’t let me. Just says that there’s more to come in the full game when I try to climb the ladder.

I found another catacomb last night when the server was going back offline. Hopefully get to play during today’s window and I can try to complete that 😀

I’ve got the Omen, Dragon and a knight to do along with 2 mini bosses. Co-op’d last night with a boy who knew what he was doing. Only at level 16 tbh, but got the bastard sword +2. At least doing some damage, pure shite having 2 Estus though I always liked kicking about with max HP at all times in my Dark souls playthrough 

38 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I’ve got the Omen, Dragon and a knight to do along with 2 mini bosses. Co-op’d last night with a boy who knew what he was doing. Only at level 16 tbh, but got the bastard sword +2. At least doing some damage, pure shite having 2 Estus though I always liked kicking about with max HP at all times in my Dark souls playthrough 

You worked out how to use the crafting cookbooks yet? I’ve found 5 different ones on my travels, but when I go into the inventory to use/learn them, the use option is greyed out. Any idea?

4 hours ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

You worked out how to use the crafting cookbooks yet? I’ve found 5 different ones on my travels, but when I go into the inventory to use/learn them, the use option is greyed out. Any idea?

Nah sorry! I tried to avoid looking at anything online or watching too much. Also trying not to get too attached or get far too into it at the moment as the game is properly out in February too tbh, would make the 3 month wait a nightmare! But once it is out I’ll be all about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, FlippinEck said:

Been watching my mates play it in Discord and usually I would be into this type of game but just not feeling it

When you say usually does that mean any from software game or an RPG type? I’m not gonna lie it’s got one of the best scores for a game I’m sure across the board. Unforgiving as anything for the casual type but it’s exceeded all expectations 

9 hours ago, CR3 said:

Feelin it? @Iakona

Patched it for now. Was initially not digging the move to the open world like I thought I would, but once i got to grips with it, it really came together. Was just fannying about as a samurai to be honest.

The kicker for me is that the performance is terrible. Can't handle the inconsistent frame rate and the terrible frame pacing. 

Because i was enjoying it so much I didn't want to dampen my experience, so I've put it on the backburner for now. Will defo go back to it when it's patched.. or cheaper. Possibly even pick it up on the PlayStation instead so i can play the PS4 pro version on the PS5... Since that's basically the only way to get a solid 60fps.

Chanced my luck at a refund despite playing well over 2 hours and Microsoft still processed it. So to be continued...

47 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Patched it for now. Was initially not digging the move to the open world like I thought I would, but once i got to grips with it, it really came together. Was just fannying about as a samurai to be honest.

The kicker for me is that the performance is terrible. Can't handle the inconsistent frame rate and the terrible frame pacing. 

Because i was enjoying it so much I didn't want to dampen my experience, so I've put it on the backburner for now. Will defo go back to it when it's patched.. or cheaper. Possibly even pick it up on the PlayStation instead so i can play the PS4 pro version on the PS5... Since that's basically the only way to get a solid 60fps.

Chanced my luck at a refund despite playing well over 2 hours and Microsoft still processed it. So to be continued...

The performance on the Series x is absolutely fine barring going into doorways or tight areas at angles you get a twitch/ jitter which I’m going to say will happen on all platforms until patched. The PC players have been complaining the most but the SX performance is certainly not terrible when it really matters.

35 minutes ago, CR3 said:

The performance on the Series x is absolutely fine barring going into doorways or tight areas at angles you get a twitch/ jitter which I’m going to say will happen on all platforms until patched. The PC players have been complaining the most but the SX performance is certainly not terrible when it really matters.

Completely disagree.. If you are happy to play a game that even outside of the aforementioned significant drops(which can go as low as 30) - that constantly bounces between 48-58 when just casually wandering then fair enough dude. When combined with the terrible frame pacing I find constantly fluctuating frame rates really jarring and it's not acceptable for me. Without VRR it's just not good experience.. certainly not one that this game deserves. I'm happy to wait until it's patched to enjoy it... Or at the very least discounted to the point I don't mind just playing the PS4 Pro version on the PS5, since it's basically the only way to get a near locked 60 at the moment.

I'm not sure why they didn't just aim for 1440p in frame rate mode instead of this dynamic resolution scaling nonsense. However Fromsoftware have always been known for some questionable design choices when it comes to optimisation. 

15 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Completely disagree.. If you are happy to play a game that even outside of the aforementioned significant drops(which can go as low as 30) - that constantly bounces between 48-58 when just casually wandering then fair enough. When combined with the terrible frame pacing I find constantly fluctuating frame rates really jarring and it's not acceptable for me. Without VRR it's just not good experience and I'm happy to wait until it's patched to enjoy it... Or at the very least discounted to the point I don't mind just playing the PS4 Pro version on the PS5, since it's basically the only way to get a near locked 60 at the moment.

I don't know why they didn't just aim for 1440p on the favour frame rate mode. However Fromsoftware have always been a studio that makes questionable decisions when optimising their games. 

I’m playing in 1440p on a 120Hz refreshing monitor, obviously performance mode on out the box and to play a souls game with this performance seemed fine. DS3 only got 60 a wee while ago and this game is much bigger and detailed. Not to mention it’s up there with one of the best and most immersive ever in my opinion but I’ve been waiting for this game since Sekiro. I put this up there with my favourites already. Anyway, each to their own, you’ve got your money back. I know a shit performing game when I see one and that was dying light 2 recently, although I’m sure if I had changed to pc my eyes would be glued to a frame counter on the corner of the screen and complaining too. 

28 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I’m playing in 1440p on a 120Hz refreshing monitor, obviously performance mode on out the box and to play a souls game with this performance seemed fine. DS3 only got 60 a wee while ago and this game is much bigger and detailed. Not to mention it’s up there with one of the best and most immersive ever in my opinion but I’ve been waiting for this game since Sekiro. I put this up there with my favourites already. Anyway, each to their own, you’ve got your money back. I know a shit performing game when I see one and that was dying light 2 recently, although I’m sure if I had changed to pc my eyes would be glued to a frame counter on the corner of the screen and complaining too. 

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying this is cyberpunk bad and everyone should be refunding. For your average person it's probably very playable... So if people can look by it then fair play. I just struggle with inconsistent/fluctuating frame rates and especially terrible frame pacing - it's super jarring to my eyes and it's also why i gave up on Bloodbourne too.

For those unsure what frame pacing is, this is a great analogy.

"Johnny and Amanda take 60 steps over a minute to cross the length of a hallway.

Johnny takes one step per second. Every step would not look much different from one another so his motion is very smooth.

Amanda hops every other step. All the even steps take 1.5 seconds while all the odd steps take 0.5 seconds.

Both Johnny and Amanda are making the same number of steps per minute (frames per second), but the timing per step (frame pacing) differs. Johnny's steps would look very smooth but Amanda's are much more erratic, making the action feel less smooth and jittery."